Twitter: Ed Werder reports Norv Turner and Dave Wannstedt as OC and DC possibilities

MikeT22

Reaction score
Coaches that come to the Cowboys are here to retire and look for a payday, not coach. This is Hollywood.

So true. Guys like Garrett and Wade knew they weren't the fulltime HC. They weren't allowed to hire staff on the opposite side of the ball. But not only that but they willingly put up with Jerry interfering in gameplans, strategy, playing time decisions and other issues that should belong solely to the HC. They put up with this because of the $$$$ and knowing they likely would never have a real HC position anywhere else.

Even this year Jerry ordered Kiffin to blitz more late in the season. Jerry so much wants to be like Jimmy Johnson when he was here. Jerry wants to be the GM and the HC. But since it isn't feasible for him to actually wear the headsets he's going to make sure he makes as many decisions that should belong to the HC as possible. Constantly pulling the string and yet constantly coming up short. But the man never learns, he's content with making money and playing with his toy.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
So true. Guys like Garrett and Wade knew they weren't the fulltime HC. They weren't allowed to hire staff on the opposite side of the ball. But not only that but they willingly put up with Jerry interfering in gameplans, strategy, playing time decisions and other issues that should belong solely to the HC. They put up with this because of the $$$$ and knowing they likely would never have a real HC position anywhere else.

Even this year Jerry ordered Kiffin to blitz more late in the season. Jerry so much wants to be like Jimmy Johnson when he was here. Jerry wants to be the GM and the HC. But since it isn't feasible for him to actually wear the headsets he's going to make sure he makes as many decisions that should belong to the HC as possible. Constantly pulling the string and yet constantly coming up short. But the man never learns, he's content with making money and playing with his toy.

Give us source to all this insider info. Or are you just making this stuff up on the fly?

Mansta54

Reaction score

Maaaaan you really need to stop with all the speculating. Smh!!!

MikeT22

Reaction score
It's a proven fact Wade didn't hire Garrett or most of the staff on the offensive side of the ball. Garrett didn't choose Kiffin, Jerry did based on input from Lacewell. I've heard several reports recently and many over the years of Jerry interfering with game type decisons like ordering Kiffin to blitz more just this year. Broaddus has reported many of these type issues to. Sorry if you willfully want to pretend it doesn't happen but this is the way Jerry operated with Switzer, Gailey and Camp. And then with Wade and now Garrett. And people wonder why we only have 1 playoff win in 18 years. Not too hard to figure out.​

Bob Sturm
In those final 3 games, Jerry ordered more blitzes. In games the Cowboys blitzed more, the takeaways dried up. Details in Kiffin report.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
It's a proven fact Wade didn't hire Garrett or most of the staff on the offensive side of the ball. Garrett didn't choose Kiffin, Jerry did based on input from Lacewell. I've heard several reports recently and many over the years of Jerry interfering with game type decisons like ordering Kiffin to blitz more just this year. Broaddus has reported many of these type issues to. Sorry if you willfully want to pretend it doesn't happen but this is the way Jerry operated with Switzer, Gailey and Camp. And then with Wade and now Garrett. And people wonder why we only have 1 playoff win in 18 years. Not too hard to figure out.

Bob Sturm
In those final 3 games, Jerry ordered more blitzes. In games the Cowboys blitzed more, the takeaways dried up. Details in Kiffin report.

JERRY ordered more blitzes? :confused:

Gaede

Reaction score
Cowlishaw has a pretty good point: Last year Jerry didn't have to hire anyone new, he just handed the playcalling to someone already on the payroll. Tim thinks Jerry would just hand them back to Garrett, especially since Garrett wants to do it. That way Jerry wouldn't have to pay someone new an extra $2,000,000 or whatever to come in.

He thinks Wannstedt only is more likely.

What a nightmare. 1)Garrett is still head coach. 2)Garrett calls plays again 3)Marinelli leaves 4)Kiffin remains or 4b)Kiffin leaves and a worse option comes in, in Wanndstedt 5)Our salary cap 'management' precludes major signings and necessitates losing several starters on an already historically bad defense 6)Our star player is 34 and coming off of two back surgeries 7) Our entire staff is essentially on a one year deal. Oh, and Jerry is still the boss, with his crony Lacewell giving him pro advice.

Next year is like the perfect storm.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
I am 99% sure that if Turner is the OC in 2014, he will be HC in 2015. Do we really want that?

Yes.

I don't want anymore Garrett after this year

Norv would be an immediate upgrade over Garrett.

Romo needs a coach that can call plays and get him to that next level.

Garrett's had 3+ years now and nothing.

Ready for some change

Novacek84

Reaction score
Norv yes, Wannstedt no. But I'd prefer they go with young, fresh minds on both sides of the ball. Problem with that is Garrett has mentored no one on the staff because he's still in training. That's why this whole on the job training thing is absolutely asinine. This team is cooked next year. Jerry is going to realize in a big way that he stuck with Jason a year too long. The bottom could seriously fall out next season if they can't find better players.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Seriously... Could the NFL step in and strip Jerry of his power? This is so bad.

Really? I live here near Washington DC, have you seen whats been going on here? Big D is nowhere near this 3 Ring Circus.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yes.

I don't want anymore Garrett after this year

Norv would be an immediate upgrade over Garrett.

Romo needs a coach that can call plays and get him to that next level.

Garrett's had 3+ years now and nothing.

Ready for some change

Just because Norv is a better coach than Garrett, it doesn't make him any good. I like him as an OC but he's proven over and over again that he's just a mediocre Head Coach.

Novacek84

Reaction score
Garrett ain't going anywhere until people start calling him out as incompetent as he really is. Jerry has literally destroyed what could have been a nice run, even if we didn't win the SB, by catering to this bum. People who respect the Dallas legacy know that guys like Dan Reeves have more affiliation with the great Dallas legacy then bums like Garrett who got there because of his father. Jerry should feel like an idiot for having to go with Callahan to help this clown when he could have gotten a real man affiliated with Tom Landry and didn't because poor baby Garrett didn't want him most likely. Ironic how people compare Garrett to Landry...

I am currently reading The Last Cowboy: A Life of Tom Landry, the bio by Mark Ribowsky. If there was any doubt Garrett isn't the second coming, this book will affirm it. Landry basically INVENTED the 4-3 defense. What has Garrett ever done? And Landry "trained" as an assistant like 99% of other head coaches. The more Jason stays the more contempt I have for him. And I loved him as a player. Whip smart but apparently football stupid.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
Just because Norv is a better coach than Garrett, it doesn't make him any good. I like him as an OC but he's proven over and over again that he's just a mediocre Head Coach.

I don't know what football league you have been watching..

but Turner had the Chargers playing well and in the playoffs way more than Dallas.

His development of Phillip Rivers parallels Romo's here in Dallas.

QBs that carry their respective franchises and you live or you die with them.

Kalyan

Reaction score

but Turner had the Chargers playing well and in the playoffs way more than Dallas.

He was winning the first few years with Marty's team and with how Carolina is playing now - with Rivera running a great defense. Just because Switzer won a SB, doesn't make him better coach.

Its not going to happen but Jerry should bring Jimmy back and complete the band - I believe we have a better shot with burned out Jimmy than with JG

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I would love that too, but is that even possible in todays NFL because of the rules. A strong running game and defense is what all the great teams had (pre-current NFL rule changes).

I don't think it is an issue.

And I'm more than well versed in the statistics of the game. But, the NFL is real SIMPLE when you get thru it all.

If you have:

1) a good pass defense

2) a good tight end

3) a good running game

You're likely going to be at least a pretty good team. Even a lousy QB can win with those elements.

Why?

Because those elements make the QB's job easier.

It's what Parcells, Schottenheimer and Bill Walsh did. And they were hugely successful.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The best part of Norv's offense is you cannot tell by the set what's coming, combine that with Norv being one of the best play callers in the biz and I'd like to give it a shot. Although he'd have to modify the passing attack for Romo in a big way.

Norv is a well respected play caller. I heard Belichick once genuinely praise him as arguably the best play caller in football.

YR

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

That wouldn't be that hard to do. Wade won 13 games with the Cowboys and won a playoff game another year but he's only mediocre as a head coach. SD got worse each year that Norv was there and that's the only place he was successful. He was an epic fail with the Deadskins and yes I know, he did make the playoffs once.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Really? I live here near Washington DC, have you seen whats been going on here? Big D is nowhere near this 3 Ring Circus.

Well at least in DC, there will be a new HC with at least some hope for change...well at least for a little while. But we still have our HC in training with Garrett and our delusional Emperor Jerry, so we know we're in for more of the same........

http://i221.***BLOCKED***/albums/dd249/Roadtrip635/dallascircus22_zpsd6bb2ba0.jpg