Twitter: Ed Werder reports Norv Turner and Dave Wannstedt as OC and DC possibilities

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I might have never agreed with a post more than this.

Norv has coordinated the 20th and 27th best scoring offenses the past two seasons. --considerable run of success before that.
He is 61 years old.
He runs an offense that was in its hey day 20 years ago.

Wanny was a ST coach last year. He is another 61 year old.
The last time he was a DC was for the Bills in 2012 and his defense was 27th in points allowed.

Just a little perspective, this time last year, we were dreading the imminent hiring of Houston Nutt, too.

Tawney88

Reaction score
This is crazy. It is sad that this team has been reduced to hiring former coaches. It happens when your GM has no plan or idea how to build a team. Pathetic.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Might as well bring them in. Jerry still talks about those SB's like they were just a few years ago. That's what has had him all worked up all these years into thinking he's this great football guy.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If JG is really in charge he should be allowed to pick his own staff, then it would be interesting to see who he would select....maybe thats the secret sauce..

Tawney88

Reaction score
If JG is really in charge he should be allowed to pick his own staff, then it would be interesting to see who he would select....maybe thats the secret sauce..

You're right but that isn't how it works in Dallas Papa Jerry knows best.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I like Norv.

But isn't his offense outdated?

Anyone notice the huge improvement in Phillip Rivers this year?
Just saying...

Anyone notice how he knew how to get the ball to Josh Gordan with crap for a QB and no running game? Norv would take Dez to a whole new level and he knows how to mix the run game when he has one. Norv failed as a head coach, but his offenses have been successful at every stop.

khiladi

Reaction score

Already did.. He failed at it. You think Jason Garrett didn't want his brother here as TE coach. How do you think he was also promoted to passing game coordinator. This was the same guy that brought Ogletree with him and the Garrett clan tried so heavily to get involved in the passing game. This year, Garrett brought in that guy everybody hated in Tennessee as WR coach.

Callahan was only brought in as OL coach after Houck, whom Garrett originally wanted and got retired. Wade wanted Mike Solari. Garrett was only stripped of play-calling duties cause he sucked at it.

Remember, this was the same guy that Wade wanted to get Reeves to act as a consultant over, which Jerry refused because Garrett didn't want him and JG was allegedly his golden-child and didn't need the help.

khiladi

Reaction score
People need to stop trying to re-write history regarding Jason Garrett, like he had no involvement in the moves that everybody is now claiming Jerry forced on him. I mean we just had a discussion on Miles Austin and an article was quoted back then, when Austin was breaking out, that the pick was all Jim Garrett, when it was during the Parcell's era and Father Garrett was retired. When the move looks good, it's all Garrett. When Garrett needs excuses, Jerry forced it on him.

Jerry asked Jason point blank who he wanted for his offense and he said Felix Jones. Wade preferred Chris Johnson. We wasted a first round pick on a guy JG didn't even use much when healthy and running well. There is a reason why Wade wanted Reeves to consult particularly on the run game and that is because JG was in over his head in running the operation. I mean it's becoming clearly evident now that Garrett can't handle the big picture. At most, he's probably a position coach.

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett ain't going anywhere until people start calling him out as incompetent as he really is. Jerry has literally destroyed what could have been a nice run, even if we didn't win the SB, by catering to this bum. People who respect the Dallas legacy know that guys like Dan Reeves have more affiliation with the great Dallas legacy then bums like Garrett who got there because of his father. Jerry should feel like an idiot for having to go with Callahan to help this clown when he could have gotten a real man affiliated with Tom Landry and didn't because poor baby Garrett didn't want him most likely. Ironic how people compare Garrett to Landry...

SWG9

Reaction score
I like Norv.

But isn't his offense outdated?

Anyone notice the huge improvement in Phillip Rivers this year?
Just saying...

Fair, but we also need to point out that Rivers got way better when Norv took over the job in 2007 as well.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The simplistic answer to any question about a coach is to go to the history of his tenure as a coach and project from those results what he will do here.

However, this misses the part of the equation that the players make the coach successful.

A huge argument about Jimmy has ensued here in the past, and there are some who point to his lack of Super Bowl success in Miami to argue against Jimmy. Or more specifically to argue for Jerry.

I have often wondered why the stat guys here have not delved into the briar patch of numbers to support one side or the other. Maybe they are not interested.

But it is clear that Jimmy built this franchise through the draft and plan B free agency. It is also clear he did not have the same type of players in Miami, and thus did not have the same success.

While there are those that wish to ridicule Norv and Wanndstedt for not replicating the success of the 90's Dallas teams, where exactly did they have the players to attain that type of success?

But the real telling aspect is this team doesn't have the horses to make Lombardi look competent. So any coach they bring in will be more of the same.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Fair, but we also need to point out that Rivers got way better when Norv took over the job in 2007 as well.

I'm not really sure if the offense is outdated or not. I've heard in many circles that people feel it is. But I've always been a Norv (as OC) fan...just a little hesitant.

As for Rivers getting better whern Norv went there...well, that was a long time ago, so it wouldn't help or hurt the out-dated arguments.

Someone correctly pointed out that Josh Gordon had a big year. I think he, however, is the ideal fit for that long ball over-the-top stuff. He's taller and faster than both Dez and Williams. I didn't say "better", but 6'4" and 4.35 or so 40 time is ideal for the long ball.

Again, I wouldn't complain if Norv was OC.
I thought he felt dissed by Jerry long ago when he was passed up though for HC.

snapper

Reaction score
If Garrett starts using copious amounts of hairspray, goes fishing in the Keys and starts trying to trade Herschel Walker then we are finally back to where it started.

Not to mention dumping his wife, Pepper, taking a girlfriend, and moving into his office at the Ranch.

cml750

Reaction score
No mention of an assistant game management coach???? Someone to help Garrett on the sidelines? It would be worth at least two wins per season.

BTW- I am dead serious about this.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No mention of an assistant game management coach???? Someone to help Garrett on the sidelines? It would be worth at least two wins per season.

BTW- I am dead serious about this.
Why is Garrett even here as HC with as much help as he needs?

cml750

Reaction score
Why is Garrett even here as HC with as much help as he needs?
He is Jerry's pet project. Don't expect him to be fired anytime in the next few years because Jerry would have to admit he was wrong about him.