Edge retires from WWE.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3909873 said:
Geatest what?

Time suck? That's basically all DX was. A 20 minute segment of childish horseplay and monotonous groin chopping. His DX role pretty much ruined my perception of him. The weekly 30 minute DX segment spread across 2 hours. I absolutely hated that crap.

And please remember, I'm speaking from a perspective that dates back a bit. I haven't followed wrestling on a consistent basis for a long, long time.

Shawn Michaels is a good entertainer but hardly the best at anything. He's an excellent performer but was outdone regularly in terms of exciting the crowd. Then again, he's been around so long that the cast of characters that could overshadow him is quite large.

Definitely not the most technically sound wrestler out there. Either of the Hart brothers could have whipped his *** in that category. Then again, the new WWE style of wrestling doesn't emphasize this at all. As long as you're huge and tanned that's all they care about.

That's what made wrestling back in the day so much better than it is now. Back then, you had a cast of characters that was so varied that each of them actually had their own personality without a mic in their hand. Anymore, the only thing that distinguishes one buff guy from another is a few one-liners like "I'm awesome".........but this is a whole different topic.

Shawn is a hell of a performer but you can't actually say he's the best at anything. He's been outdone in terms of excitability, he's had far too many schtick roles and his actual wrestling game isn't on par with some of the guys he battled early in his career.......even before the injuries started catching up with him.

I can agree about long segments, to some extent, but that is hardly something that you can only knock HBK for. Pretty much every single, big time, mega star in the wrestling business did things like this in the 90s. Look at some of Hogan, Rock, Austin, Foleys, Undertakers, and so on and so forths segments through out that decade.

That is where promos in the 80s, especially Flair or Dusty Rhodes promos, were so special, as Hos mentioned. It's a fine art when someone can do things like that in a much shorter amount of time.

As for wrestling...ehh. I think HBK was pretty damn good at what he did in the ring and has been part of some of the more exciting, and better matches, IMO, during my lifetime.

My all-time favorite match ever is still his Ironman match with Bret. Now the Hitman fans will say it was all Bret, I guess, but I'd laugh in their face at such a suggestion. Him and HBK tore down the house, IMO, in that match up.

Then there was the Ladder Match with Ramon at WM10, or the HiAC with Taker in 1997, or his Summerslam match with HHH in 2002, or either of his matches at WM with Taker at 25 and 26. These are all absolute classics, IMO. Amazing matches that showed his ability to really up his game.

Mind Games with Mick Foley back in 1996 I believe was absolutely amazing as well and his WM matches with Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, and John Cena were damn good. I mean no disrespect to Cena, who I believe gets hampered by the gimmick they have him play, but what HBK was able to do with him at WM, and also in their 1 hour match on RAW a few years ago, was nothing short of amazing.

And the Jericho vs. HBK match from WM19 could easily be talked about as one of the top 4 or 5 matches of all time. Those two were just brilliant together. That to me is what sets HBK, much like Ric Flair, apart from a lot of other folks. He might not be the best at anything, and really he's not the best at anyone particular thing, but he was so damn good at bringing out the best in those working with him that it made him absolutely special.

That, to me, is what sets the truly great ones apart from the ones who are just great. Their ability to up their own game, at the right times, to where it gets their opponents to bring out their best as well.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
Funny...for the vast majority of his career Shawn was one of the most disliked wrestlers on a personal level by his peers.

The only other guy I've ever read that was disliked more and still is Bubba Ray Dudley. I don't think any other wrestler likes that guy....

and unless he changes John Morrison is headed down that same path.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
DallasGirl50;3910013 said:
Funny...for the vast majority of his career Shawn was one of the most disliked wrestlers on a personal level by his peers.

The only other guy I've ever read that was disliked more and still is Bubba Ray Dudley. I don't think any other wrestler likes that guy....

and unless he changes John Morrison is headed down that same path.

No doubt. HBK had to change a lot over the years but thankfully he did. Even when he was disliked though he still was able to put on great matches with folks.

I hate to hear that about Morrison. I like the guy and hate to see the guy ruining his career getting into trouble.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3910055 said:
No doubt. HBK had to change a lot over the years but thankfully he did. Even when he was disliked though he still was able to put on great matches with folks.

I hate to hear that about Morrison. I like the guy and hate to see the guy ruining his career getting into trouble.

I think John maybe got a bit too big for his britches...he will learn...he's very talented. I like Shawn from interviews now but he had to marry..have kids...find faith to change. I know Taker said once years ago he could not stand Shawn...I think Shawn had a drinking or drug problem at one time as well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;3910085 said:
I hope Jericho comes back soon.
Break the walls down!!!!

I just rewatched his Raw intro on youtube. Not my fav at all but always good stuff with him.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3910055 said:

Morrison is very similar to Michael's, hence why he is one of my 5 favorite wrestlers currently.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Romo 2 Austin;3910211 said:
Morrison is very similar to Michael's, hence why he is one of my 5 favorite wrestlers currently.

Nothing alike.

Morrison is a spot wrestler with no charisma and no mic skills

Michaels is a lucha libre/strong style wrestler with loads of charisma and good mic skills

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
zrinkill;3910215 said:
Nothing alike.

Morrison is a spot wrestler with no charisma and no mic skills

Michaels is a lucha libre/strong style wrestler with loads of charisma and good mic skills

Morrison has a passible amount of mic skills and has alot of body charisma, good facials etc;

Michael's is the greatest of all time.

Morrison is similar to a young Michael's, in the ring and out of it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Romo 2 Austin;3910218 said:
Morrison is similar to a young Michael's, in the ring and out of it.

Not even close.

You do not understand ring or working styles at all.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
I like John..he's got a ton of upside to his wrestling..I've seen his workout video and I very much doubt that Shawn ever in his life worked out as hard as John does. It's unreal what he goes thru.

I don't find him appealing at all on the mic..he needs alot of work there.

It's got to be hard getting up in front of thousands of people and speaking. That would intimidate almost anyone. It's a gift for those that can do it naturally but I know people can be taught to be good speakers. He just needs to work at it.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
DallasGirl50;3910079 said:
I think John maybe got a bit too big for his britches...he will learn...he's very talented. I like Shawn from interviews now but he had to marry..have kids...find faith to change. I know Taker said once years ago he could not stand Shawn...I think Shawn had a drinking or drug problem at one time as well.

Yep. An admitted big time drinking and drug problem. The drug problems was the biggest part of the issues that he had with folks during the mid to late nineties. Glad he got his act cleaned up.

Hostile;3910085 said:
I hope Jericho comes back soon.

Yep. no doubt. I love Jericho. He's the closest thing to HBK, IMO, that there has been in the last 10 years.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
Here are my cents about everything Ive read:

1) CM Punk is the best worker in the business today, hands down.

2) For the people that cant stand ADR and The Miz...that shows how god they are at their job. The heels are suppose to be hated, especially by the "marks" that watch the stuff, lol.

3) Ric Flair is the GOAT in my opinion, just wish he woulda realized when to stop wrestling, lol. SCSA is a very very close 2nd. both have the total package(not talkin about Lex Luger, lol)

4) Jericho really does need to come back...as his Y2J gimmick. The Iahtola(sp?) of Rock-n-Rolla, Rufus protected persona.

5) TNA has a long way to go to even get close to where WCW use to be pre-nWo. Would help to change their company name. And I really hope they get better. RVD and Mr Anderson are 2 of my favorites right now.

6) If Anderson(Mr Kennedy back then) wouldnt have pissed off a lot of people like Orton, HHH, Cena, etc. HE woulda been in the main event @ WM this year instead of The Miz....instead of fixin to get pushed to midcard level becuz Terry Bollea is about to hand himself the title again.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday Duck;3910645 said:

2) For the people that cant stand ADR and The Miz...that shows how good they are at their job. The heels are suppose to be hated, especially by the "marks" that watch the stuff, lol.

3) Ric Flair is the GOAT in my opinion, just wish he woulda realized when to stop wrestling, lol. SCSA is a very very close 2nd. both have the total package(not talkin about Lex Luger, lol)

4) Jericho really does need to come back...as his Y2J gimmick. The Iahtola(sp?) of Rock-n-Rolla, Rufus protected persona.

5) TNA has a long way to go to even get close to where WCW use to be pre-nWo. Would help to change their company name. And I really hope they get better. RVD and Mr Anderson are 2 of my favorites right now.

6) If Anderson(Mr Kennedy back then) wouldnt have pissed off a lot of people like Orton, HHH, Cena, etc. HE woulda been in the main event @ WM this year instead of The Miz....instead of fixin to get pushed to midcard level becuz Terry Bollea is about to hand himself the title again.
So very true.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Hostile;3910652 said:
So very true.

Is it? I don't even think people hate the Miz as much as they just have no reaction toward him. I know that's how i feel anyway, and he doesn't seem to get near the crowd response as some of the bigger superstars like Rock, Cena, Orten, HHH, Punk, etc..

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score

2) For the people that cant stand ADR and The Miz...that shows how god they are at their job. The heels are suppose to be hated, especially by the "marks" that watch the stuff, lol.

There's a difference between hating someone as a heel like people do to Michael Cole now a days, and hating someone because there boring.

If thats what there going for, they can go sign random people on the street and say you hate them because there heels.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I agree.

Miz and ADR are great.