Elliott's going to average 4.5 YPC

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Patriots YouTube channel uploaded a video with his highlights from last season... I think he's still got something left to contribute.

We're never going to see rookie Zeke again, but he can help for sure considering what the rest of our RB room looks like.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Patriots YouTube channel uploaded a video with his highlights from last season... I think he's still got something left to contribute.

We're never going to see rookie Zeke again, but he can help for sure considering what the rest of our RB room looks like.
He'll play hard and eke out every yard that he can. I don't know how much that will actually be but there is some value in a back who understands what it takes to succeed on this level. I would have preferred a back with more left who knows what it takes, but Elliott is what we've got.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He'll play hard and eke out every yard that he can. I don't know how much that will actually be but there is some value in a back who understands what it takes to succeed on this level. I would have preferred a back with more left who knows what it takes, but Elliott is what we've got.
There has been a few examples of older backs coming to a team and having success after being left for dead.. Corey Dillon with the Pats, LT with the Jets. Even going back to Riggins with the Skins. Or how about Bettis with the Squealers. It's not out of the question that Zeke could do some damage while helping our young backs along the way.

Frankly I will openly admit one my favorite aspects of Zeke coming back is how much it's going to piss off some of his haters. That alone makes it worthwhile even if he plays just so so.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yeah, but he did average 4.5 or better in three of his eight seasons. This'll be the fourth time!
It comes down to first contact. If it continues to be at 2.0 yards he will struggle. If it becomes 3.3 like CMC he will be just fine.

gimmesix

Reaction score
There has been a few examples of older backs coming to a team and having success after being left for dead.. Corey Dillon with the Pats, LT with the Jets. Even going back to Riggins with the Skins. Or how about Bettis with the Squealers. It's not out of the question that Zeke could do some damage while helping our young backs along the way.

Frankly I will openly admit one my favorite aspects of Zeke coming back is how much it's going to piss off some of his haters. That alone makes it worthwhile even if he plays just so so.
I'm just sad CowboyRoy doesn't seem to be around to see it. Hope he's doing all right.

Even though I'm predicting 4.5 for the fun of it, I'm keeping my real expectations tempered. I do think Elliott's running style is good fit for what McCarthy showed that he likes last year, but I don't know how much he has left in the tank to get the job done.

Ironicalicon

Reaction score
Yes, that's my wild-hair predication with nothing to base it on. Cooper Beebe is going to win the starting center job and with Tyler and Martin at guard, we're going to pound on defenses between the tackles when we run the ball.

I don't drink and I don't smoke, so no, I'm not drunk or high. Just having a little fun. Zeke's going to party like it's 2-0-1-9.
Substance abuse is an excuse. What's yours?

gimmesix

Reaction score
It comes down to first contact. If it continues to be at 2.0 yards he will struggle. If it becomes 3.3 like CMC he will be just fine.
That's why the big three in the middle may be what's most important. If Beebe shows he can play center well and Tyler can stay at guard, we may have a driving force with the interior line. Of course, if the outside guys can't offer backside protection, the ends and linebackers will just come around and chase Elliott down from behind. You know they are going to be pinching down instead of holding contain on running plays since they are not worried about his outside speed.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm just sad CowboyRoy doesn't seem to be around to see it. Hope he's doing all right.

Even though I'm predicting 4.5 for the fun of it, I'm keeping my real expectations tempered. I do think Elliott's running style is good fit for what McCarthy showed that he likes last year, but I don't know how much he has left in the tank to get the job done.
It's probably a good thing he's not here. Dude would probably have stroked out with the news of Zeke re-signing. Though I think he might have lost a bet when he predicted that no one would sign Zeke before last season and had to either stay away completely or come in incognito. I do agree that Zeke's style is far better suited for the running attack and run blocking scheme we featured last season than Pollard's was. Just as Pollard's style was a better fit for the Kellen Moore offense than Zeke. People spend too much time worrying about the who rather than the why. I think Zeke will be more effective in this offense than Pollard was. Health permitting of course. Injuries are always wildcard and Zeke has had his share the last 4 years.. though he seemed to have gotten through the year in New England without any setbacks. That's a good sign that the knee may be fully healed. The breakaway speed aint never comin back but the ability to move the chains really never left.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Yes, that's my wild-hair predication with nothing to base it on. Cooper Beebe is going to win the starting center job and with Tyler and Martin at guard, we're going to pound on defenses between the tackles when we run the ball.

I don't drink and I don't smoke, so no, I'm not drunk or high. Just having a little fun. Zeke's going to party like it's 2-0-1-9.
I don't know about 4.5 but anything over 4 is a plus. I say he ends up getting about 12 touches a game.

DanA

Reaction score
He won’t get 4.5 ypc. But he might get double digit TD’s and have a good short yardage conversion rate. About the best we can hope for is him being the ultimate vulture.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He won’t get 4.5 ypc. But he might get double digit TD’s and have a good short yardage conversion rate. About the best we can hope for is him being the ultimate vulture.
I think he might top 900 yards rushing and 12 TDs. I really don't think people grasp JUST how bad the Pats' line was last year. I felt sorry for the backs and receivers who had to operate behind that mess.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don't know about 4.5 but anything over 4 is a plus. I say he ends up getting about 12 touches a game.
I agree with that. I'd be happy with 4.0. That's my benchmark for a successful season for a back. Pollard had a successful season last year. It just wasn't as good as it could have been IMO if we didn't insist on running him inside as much, which was what frustrated me. We needed a different run scheme for the back we had. That run scheme fits this back.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's probably a good thing he's not here. Dude would probably have stroked out with the news of Zeke re-signing. Though I think he might have lost a bet when he predicted that no one would sign Zeke before last season and had to either stay away completely or come in incognito. I do agree that Zeke's style is far better suited for the running attack and run blocking scheme we featured last season than Pollard's was. Just as Pollard's style was a better fit for the Kellen Moore offense than Zeke. People spend too much time worrying about the who rather than the why. I think Zeke will be more effective in this offense than Pollard was. Health permitting of course. Injuries are always wildcard and Zeke has had his share the last 4 years.. though he seemed to have gotten through the year in New England without any setbacks. That's a good sign that the knee may be fully healed. The breakaway speed aint never comin back but the ability to move the chains really never left.
I can agree with "more effective." For what we seem to want to do in the running game, we need a grinder. Elliott's average could end up lower, even in the 3-yard range, but if he is consistently popping 3-yarders instead of running for 1, 2, 1, 10, etc., then that is more effective. It's better to face 2nd-and-7 or 3rd-and-6 than 2nd-and-9 or 3rd-and-10. And I'm not saying Pollard put us in those situations, but Elliott is much tougher to stop behind the line even in his declined state. That's the main thing he still has going for him.

shabazz

Reaction score
I think he might top 900 yards rushing and 12 TDs. I really don't think people grasp JUST how bad the Pats' line was last year. I felt sorry for the backs and receivers who had to operate behind that mess.
I can see that as a posibility. The most relieved person is probably Dak because of Zekes blitz and pass protection......one of those other jag running backs could get Dak a visit to the ER.