Elliott's going to average 4.5 YPC

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why did Pollard then 'fall from grace' himself?
Pollard also got dinged up near the end of 2022 and then his leg was broken against San Francisco. If you are talking about the 2023, he had trouble coming back from the injury.

Jipper

Reaction score
No way he averages that. He will likely show up out of shape, is slower, and lucky to get 500 yards.
who knows, sometimes its good for a player to get humbled a bit and he may surpirse people in terms of the shape he comes in at. The yardage isn't going to be as important as the success metrics for his role -

1 - short yardage conversions
2 - red zone td's (inside the 5 specifically)
3 - blitz pick up effectivness

He is going to be a role player, and I think most of us are good with it....if he is a very good role player, bc hes not asked to do things he would struggle with (like being the starter / 3 down back) then I am willing to bet many on here are going to be happy.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think that is the main reason. I think the main reason is we've got no one else who has proven he can be a starting running back in this league. Zeke was about as cheap of a proven starter as we were going to find, with good reason.
Oh yeah....hes gonna tote for sure.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't think Zeke will average 4.5 but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he will top 4.0. He will be given more "fresh" carries than in his previous stint with the Cowboys and the line will be decidedly more physical with Zack and Steele back to close to full health, Guyton and Smith on the left side and a 330 pounder replacing a 300 pounder at center. To say nothing of the simple reality of the passing game having shown itself to be pretty damn lethal without a legitimate running threat last season. All the backs are going to benefit from what Dak, CD and Ferg did last year.. in the form of a lot of light boxes. Zeke included.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I'll join in on the fun.
I predict 3.7 ypc and 11 tds.
He’s not here to be the NFL leading rusher.
He’s here to bring back success in short yardage situations and hang with his buddy during his final year in Dallas.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dallas ran the ball 468 times last year. 27.5 times a game on average.
For just running backs, they ran it 370 times or 21.7 times a game.

Pollard led the team with 252 carries, and obviously, he's gone.
Outside of Pollard leaving it's still the same backfield(top3) with Rico, Vaughn returning (89 and 23 carries respectively).

Injuries aside, I sort of see the same split between the top 3 running backs. Pollard got the ball 68% of all running plays to an RB.
Maybe you could see it drop down to 50-60%, but Zeke will still get the majority of the carries. Even with the dysfunctional Pats offense, he still saw 184 carries.
Both Pollard and Dowdle finished the season at 4.0/4.1 YPC.

With a healthier Steele, Martin being Martin and Tyler at LG year 3 it would take a noticeable downgrade at LT and center to see a dramatic drop in the running production, something that was way below what we've become accustomed to. Zeke is no spring chicken, but 4.0(3.8-4.1) wouldn't shock me. 4.5ypc would be impressive as the last time Zeke did that was 2019.
I think he will be the lead back. It's pretty much how Jerry views him. I guess I could throw into my prediction that I think he'll get at least 200 carries. Your numbers, 3.8-4.1, may be more accurate and it would not surprise me at all for him to end up under 4. That should be expected after the last two years were under 4. I'm going with 4.5 just for the fun of it. Big comeback for Zeke!

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Yes, that's my wild-hair predication with nothing to base it on. Cooper Beebe is going to win the starting center job and with Tyler and Martin at guard, we're going to pound on defenses between the tackles when we run the ball.

I don't drink and I don't smoke, so no, I'm not drunk or high. Just having a little fun. Zeke's going to party like it's 2-0-1-9.
You can still be bipolar

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Yes, that's my wild-hair predication with nothing to base it on. Cooper Beebe is going to win the starting center job and with Tyler and Martin at guard, we're going to pound on defenses between the tackles when we run the ball.

I don't drink and I don't smoke, so no, I'm not drunk or high. Just having a little fun. Zeke's going to party like it's 2-0-1-9.
Fine and he gets another big contract