News: ESPN: Claiborne demoted, skips walk-through

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't last very long either. Getting cut doesn't always happen at the moment of infraction.

I sincerely doubt they will. It's not like we are swimming in a deep talent pool of DBs. But I have severe doubts he is here next year.
Scandrock might be the only returning Starter next year.

Just read in another article, Mo is def going to be fined by the team.

Nav22

Reaction score
He quit because he said his heart wasn't in it.

For clarity, I'm not trying to throw Base under the bus. When Bease quit, there were a whole lot of good riddance. I just wanted to point out that the team isn't going to react like fans do.

Come on, WG. If Claiborne left because his heart wasn't in it or he was dealing with "personal issues", I'm sure the fans here would be more than sympathetic.

/sarcasm

The Natural

Reaction score
Anyone remember if Mike Jenkins reaction to losing his starting job to a rookie who earned nothing was to storm out of the building like a diva? I'm wondering who you guys would prefer right about now..

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ok, so what is the worst that can happen here? Outright releasing thus wasting that draft pick? So be it, at least it is over. But, Mo is not going to be fired and he will show up on Sunday ready to play, bad or good.

The good news in all of this is upper management acting on their disappointment in him and could pause any move-up draft moves in the future. Hopefully, this is the wake-up call that Claiborne needs to try and turn around his career or it will be a short-lived one.

Worst case scenario = we lose him along with the draft pick we lost
Best case = he sees the light and becomes serviceable until his contract is up in Dallas

For what's it worth, I don't think he has the mental capability of becoming a solid corner along with the much needed skills. He is just not cut out for the NFL but it would be stupid to release him before his contract expires, he is a body after all with professional experience. Use him until he can't give anymore then send him to the curb if he doesn't improve when his contract is over.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Broaddus made a good point on twitter. Cole Beasley quit. Team welcomed him back and now he's a fan favorite.

I'm not suggesting Mo will ever be a fan favorite, but it would be very presumptuous and emotionally reactive to think they're going to release him outright.

Apples. & oranges

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See to me Idgit, there's not much to develop. He doesn't pass the eye test.

He's not particularly fast. He's not particularly quick and doesn't have great closing acceleration. He's not big, definitely isn't very physical, and isn't particularly good at tackling, nor does he relish it like a guy like Moore. He constantly seems to be involved with secondary "confusion."

After 2 years and 3 games, what exactly is going to develop at this point?

I don't watch a lot of college ball, so I don't know what people saw in him to rate him so high. I have heard that he was a "ball hawk" though. But at this level you are not fast, quick, physical or smart enough to consistently be around the ball, what good is your 'hawkishness' about it?

I'm not sure how much more he's got. Just talking about the technique problems that Garrett referenced. If he's somewhat limited, you'd at least like to see him playing sound technical football.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone remember if Mike Jenkins reaction to losing his starting job to a rookie who earned nothing was to storm out of the building like a diva? I'm wondering who you guys would prefer right about now..

I always liked Jenkins, but he's proven to be just as fragile as Mo. I believe he's on IR again. Can't recall if its another busted shoulder or not.

wileedog

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much more he's got. Just talking about the technique problems that Garrett referenced. If he's somewhat limited, you'd at least like to see him playing sound technical football.

True, agreed.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Brilliant!

The Cowboys had not interviewed Claiborne at the combine or invited him to Valley Ranch. To his knowledge, they hadn't contacted his agent or his college coach. Nothing. Radio silence.

Link

chagus

Reaction score
Cant wait until Moore gets burned and everyone wants Claiborne back

So, you can't wait to see a dallas cowboy do poorly? Do me favor... root for another team. I hear the Seahawks are a nice bandwagon to jump on.

The Natural

Reaction score
I always liked Jenkins, but he's proven to be just as fragile as Mo. I believe he's on IR again. Can't recall if its another busted shoulder or not.

I'd take 1/2 of Jenkins over Claiborne. Who would've thought 2 years ago that we'd be yearning for the days of the Newman/Jenkins combo with 50 million and a top 10 pick invested as their replacements

Sportsbabe

Reaction score

Like Parcellls said....after 3 years the player should have shown me something by now. This was providential.

Plankton

Reaction score
From managing employees, I have found that there are three types of people:
  • Those that you have to put an arm around to motivate and get the most out of them.
  • Those that you can leave alone, who are harder on themselves than you could ever be, and are self-motivated.
  • Those that you have to kick in the rear end to get performance out of them.
If you can figure out who fits into what bucket, you can manage and get performance out of anyone. I guess we know what bucket Claiborne goes into.

Claiborne is a guy whose confidence is nearly shattered. He is unable to stay healthy, struggles playing any coverage that isn't press man, lacks catch up speed, and doesn't trust his eyes. Watching him on Sunday was like watching a comic bomb on stage. When stiffs like Brian Quick are abusing you, things are bad. Yes, he did make a play late, but it was as much due to an overthrown pass as it was a great play by Claiborne. He also did a great job channeling his inner Roy Williams by pointing around at anyone except himself after the second touchdown he allowed.

He needs to regain his confidence quick - his career as a cornerback is circling the drain. And, to think, I thought that he was going to finally establish himself this year as a higher echelon player.

yentl911

Reaction score
I won't name names, but I can't believe there are a few people in here still defending Claiborne. Why? There's some angle there I'm not getting.

I just think this is a hard pill to swallow. I think most fans were elated when he was picked due to our secondary issues at the time. A top ten pick that has done nothing in over two seasons and now has walked out on the team is bound to bring out emotional responses from fans.

I thought he was going to be a stud and it really hurts to see him turn out to be such a waste.