News: ESPN: Claiborne demoted, skips walk-through

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I root for Mo and hope he gets his head on straight, channels his anger and competes his tail off in practice and games. Respond to the competition...channel the anger you have toward the coaches and excel. Hell with being cool with the coaches...ball out to prove them wrong and don't talk to them. Lol! I've done it before and it works...

Any anger Mo has should be (and probably is) directed at himself.

If I was his coach and he refused to talk to me, he wouldn't be playing.

Mo's immaturity and cover skills may improve, but not if he's in denial about about who's responsible for that disappointment. For probably the first time in his life, he's having hard time looking in the mirror.

As for JJ, he owned up to his misjudgement for overvaluing this asset -- a mistake which is obvious, and a responsibility that we all want him to take.

Mo wasn't thrown under the bus -- he crawled in there of his own free will.

He's young; maybe he can crawl back out.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Claiborne you can get mad and throw a hissy fit or go out and do something about it.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Confidence comes from within.

I'm glad Jerry is done trying to blow sunshine up his behind.

Completely agree. This has probably restored more confidence in Garrett and Jerry than anything they have done in quite some time.

I'm not the biggest Jimmy Johnson fan, but I think anybody that knows Jimmy knows that he would have benched him long ago.

People who support Mo really need to watch the game film versus the Rams. He was horrendous and showed ZERO effort to make tackles.

YR

jday

Reaction score
I'm not sure I really understand his reaction for being demoted in favor of Scandrick. Now if they were demoting him below Sterling Moore, that would make a little more sense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Completely agree. This has probably restored more confidence in Garrett and Jerry than anything they have done in quite some time.

I'm not the biggest Jimmy Johnson fan, but I think anybody that knows Jimmy knows that he would have benched him long ago.

People who support Mo really need to watch the game film versus the Rams. He was horrendous and showed ZERO effort to make tackles.

YR

He was bad in the Rams game has no one to blame but himself. I don't think it is uncommon for any team to give as many opportunities as possible to a player you have made as big of an investment on as Cowboys did for Claiborne.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm more surprised at the demotion than reaction. Let's see how Mo responds moving forward.

Well, it wasn't really a demotion. Scandrick and Carr were the starters but Mo was starting because of Scandrick's suspension. I don't know if Claiborne thought that meant he should remain the starter when Scandrick returned, but he should have known that the only way that was going to happen is if he proved invaluable as a starter.

TwistedMetal

Reaction score
Mo's reaction to the demotion is indicative of his denial. He is not a good corner, he would be lucky to be the 5th CB on most teams, at this point, he is only still here because he was drafted #6 overall. If I were JG, I would cut him for walking out, it just shows he thinks he is bigger than the team and when you are playing like a 5th corner and do that, you should think about packing your bags.

erod

Reaction score
I wonder what Jerry is thinking.

The last two guys he's been giddy about were Mo Claiborne and Johnny Manziel.

Checkmate, Jerry.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Mo's reaction to the demotion is indicative of his denial. He is not a good corner, he would be lucky to be the 5th CB on most teams, at this point, he is only still here because he was drafted #6 overall. If I were JG, I would cut him for walking out, it just shows he thinks he is bigger than the team and when you are playing like a 5th corner and do that, you should think about packing your bags.

I think it is more indicative of his immaturity but denial may have also played a part.

erod

Reaction score
The real debate is who is this team's fourth corner. Claiborne or Patmon.

Unbelievable.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
He was bad in the Rams game has no one to blame but himself. I don't think it is uncommon for any team to give as many opportunities as possible to a player you have made as big of an investment on as Cowboys did for Claiborne.

I don't think it is uncommon either. I just think that good teams and good coaches would have demoted him earlier. So when I hear Jerry indicate that he's going to keep his job because he was a 2nd round pick that we traded up for, that indicated to me that Jerry doesn't get it.

Thankfully, they had the stones to demote him.

It's a way to motivate a player and to motivate other players. You can motivate a player by benching him. But, you can really motivate a player when you are willing to say we are going to move on without you and we feel we have a replacement that is as good or better than you.

The latter is the greatest motivator in this league. It's one thing to be benched, it's another when the team says they have a suitable replacement. That's when the player starts getting their arse in gear. And it helps motivate the team because it says to the other players that the best players will indeed play.

I don't think Claiborne was into being at training camp and the preseason. I think he milked his injury because he knew he could come back and still either be a starter or be the RCB in the nickel package.

Having a 'doghouse' is not always a bad thing to have. Landry, Jimmy and Parcells each had their own fair share of doghouses and used that to better develop their talent.

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think it is uncommon either. I just think that good teams and good coaches would have demoted him earlier. So when I hear Jerry indicate that he's going to keep his job because he was a 2nd round pick that we traded up for, that indicated to me that Jerry doesn't get it.

Thankfully, they had the stones to demote him.

It's a way to motivate a player and to motivate other players. You can motivate a player by benching him. But, you can really motivate a player when you are willing to say we are going to move on without you and we feel we have a replacement that is as good or better than you.

The latter is the greatest motivator in this league. It's one thing to be benched, it's another when the team says they have a suitable replacement. That's when the player starts getting their arse in gear. And it helps motivate the team because it says to the other players that the best players will indeed play.

I don't think Claiborne was into being at training camp and the preseason. I think he milked his injury because he knew he could come back and still either be a starter or be the RCB in the nickel package.

Having a 'doghouse' is not always a bad thing to have. Landry, Jimmy and Parcells each had their own fair share of doghouses and used that to better develop their talent.

YR

Of course you do whatever this team does someone else would have done it differently. lol

Claiborne was benched last season Scandrick took the spot, now what happens to start this year Scandrick gets suspended, so Claiborne took over the spot which should have been expected. He had chance to secure the spot and failed.

What gets me is all the complaining yesterday that Dallas would not bench him and now they have and that is not good enough, what a joke. It really seems to be a case to rip into the team, Jerry and Garrett no matter what they hell they do.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The team is way down on him and he has to know it. It started last week when Marinelli was asked about him starting and his response was "Well, he's there." He has been a total bust and the team now realizes it. this was supposed to be the year he came in and fought for a starting job and it looked like he was doing just that for maybe the first two days of camp. After that, its been the same old Mo, injuries, missed time, and poor play. If he wasn't a top 6 pick, he probably would not have survived cuts this year. I'm fine if they make an example out of him for skipping practice. Let Moore and the young guys show what they can do.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
What gets me is all the complaining yesterday that Dallas would not bench him and now they have and that is not good enough, what a joke. It really seems to be a case to rip into the team, Jerry and Garrett no matter what they hell they do.

Well...

I expect that from many Cowboys 'fans.'

They should change the helmets to a picture of Jerry and a X marked thru it for those 'fans.'

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well...

I expect that from many Cowboys 'fans.'

They should change the helmets to a picture of Jerry and a X marked thru it for those 'fans.'

YR

Garrett had talked about Claiborne well before jerry, It was Garrett call. Jerry has even mentioned before he does not tell them who to play or what to run. Yes he is involved in the team but just as people who have worked for Jerry like BP have said there is a big misconception about Jerry involvement. I hear a lot of spin by people who have no involvement in this team and I have heard from those who have worked for this organization so excuse me if I think the outsiders do not have a clue as to what they are talking about. I see a lot of "I think" well that is far from fact.

I also do not remove responsibility from Jerry after all the people he hires if they fail it is his failure if they succeed it is his success. People want to blame Jerry they have every right too it is the exaggerated spin that becomes a joke

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Claiborne you can get mad and throw a hissy fit or go out and do something about it.

He doesn't have the mental make up to process something like that. Someone needs to explain it to him. Hopefully some coaches and teammates have done that the last 24 hours. Hopefully the message got through. I have my doubts.

slick325

Reaction score
Any anger Mo has should be (and probably is) directed at himself.

If I was his coach and he refused to talk to me, he wouldn't be playing.

Mo's immaturity and cover skills may improve, but not if he's in denial about about who's responsible for that disappointment. For probably the first time in his life, he's having hard time looking in the mirror.

As for JJ, he owned up to his misjudgement for overvaluing this asset -- a mistake which is obvious, and a responsibility that we all want him to take.

Mo wasn't thrown under the bus -- he crawled in there of his own free will.

He's young; maybe he can crawl back out.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. But, to be clear, I am not advocating not responding to a Coach when he addresses you. On the contrary, be a professional and keep it work related with them. Locker rooms and position rooms have a collegial atmosphere and jokes among Coaches and players are common place. My stance is more so...leave the joking around between you and teammates and treat the coaches as bosses you merely have a professional relationship. No joking with them. In game moments where they want to high five is cool but any extra I won't be a party to. Plenty of pros conduct themselves like this when miffed with Coaches and it never gets out.

Coaches have no issue with it as long as the player actually produces. Whatever a player uses to motivate himself is ok as long as he is a professional with his Coaches and Management. I am not advocating a Charles Haley in San Fran thing or Ratliff in Dallas last season or even T.O. in Philly thing...