ESPN: Don't Be Surprised If Tony Romo Holds The Cowboys Together

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I didn't bother reading the OP just scrolled It. It has to be short and to the point from DE or I'm not wasting my time. LOL With all the spins I've been reading I assumed pessimist was referring to the comment I made about the big challenge the Cowboys will face without Dez on the field. Fire away! :laugh:

Zman5

Reaction score
Indy used 3 QB's that season and were terrible with all of them because the QB's weren't very good and the team around them stunk. They were able to prepare an entire offseason without Manning and things went horribly wrong because that team was dependent on a franchise QB to have any chance. Most teams will struggle without their starter but most "solid" teams can stay afloat for awhile with their backup. Take last season for example Foles went down and Philly was able to win some games with Mark Sanchez who was looked at as a joke in NY. Philly beat the Cowboys in a blowout with Sanchez on Thanksgiving. Green Bay lost Rodgers for a few games in 2013 and were able to win a couple of games including against the Cowboys with Matt Flynn. Flynn chewed up the Cowboys defense with 4 TD's but once he left Green Bay for less talented teams he's looked average at best.

Josh McCown who replaced an injured Jay Culter a couple of years ago helped keep the Bears afloat and torched the Cowboys but once he left for Tampa he looked like crap on that team. Matt Cassel looked terrific with a talented NE team around him in 08 as he subbed for an injured Tom Brady. He looked so good leading the Pats to an 11-5 record that KC gave up a #2 for him and he flopped because of the lack of talent in KC. When Luck arrived in Indy they had an aging Reggie Wayne at WR and no running game which prompted the Colts to throw away a #1 on Trent Richardson the following year. Once you get past Luck the Colts wouldn't win 4-5 games with Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel or a Josh McCown.

What you are implying is Luck in his rookie year was as good as Peyton where Luck can take a "bad" 2-14 team and make them go 11-5. That is furthest from the truth.

Luck is better than the scrub QB they had in 2011, but any average QB could have done better with that team.

Luck is a good QB but people think he is some elite QB that played well in bunch of playoff games. He's been very average at best in the playoffs. QBR of 70 and 12 INT to only 9 TDS and only 56% completion rate. Few games he has won was due to his defense holding the opposing teams to 10 and 13 points.

Comparing that to Romo's playoff stats, Romo performed better ( 93 QBR, 2 INTS, 8 TD, 61% completion rate).

They both played 6 playoff games and Romo has 2 wins vs 3 because his defense has given up 21 or more points in those games.

Had it not been the dumb reversal of Dez's catch or if our defense could have held up little better against a one legged Rodgers, Romo too would have led his team to the conference game last year.

This is what is ridiculous about how people talk about Romo and Luck. People make it sound like Romo's this INT machine in the playoffs and Luck is this elite can do nothing wrong QB. Yet it's Luck who threw 12 INTS where Romo only threw 2 INTS in the same number of games.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Romo is an awesome QB. He's not only a great player but an all around great guy who is humble.

I love watching him play and to listening to his interview. He really knows the game and he's a natural comedian. How many were rolling when he threw Andre Gurode under the bus? I did.

However, the NFL prefers someone like Brady. Great player but someone who has a reputation for cheating. Yet he gets a pass while Romo is berated by the media for choking.

Thus I think the NFL has their heads screwed wrong. I don't know why Romo is looked down upon while Brady always get the undeserved accolades and the recognition despite cheating. It just doesn't make much sense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What you are implying is Luck in his rookie year was as good as Peyton where Luck can take a "bad" 2-14 team and make them go 11-5. That is furthest from the truth.

Luck is better than the scrub QB they had in 2011, but any average QB could have done better with that team.

Luck is a good QB but people think he is some elite QB that played well in bunch of playoff games. He's been very average at best in the playoffs. QBR of 70 and 12 INT to only 9 TDS and only 56% completion rate. Few games he has won was due to his defense holding the opposing teams to 10 and 13 points.

Comparing that to Romo's playoff stats, Romo performed better ( 93 QBR, 2 INTS, 8 TD, 61% completion rate).

They both played 6 playoff games and Romo has 2 wins vs 3 because his defense has given up 21 or more points in those games.

Had it not been the dumb reversal of Dez's catch or if our defense could have held up little better against a one legged Rodgers, Romo too would have led his team to the conference game last year.

This is what is ridiculous about how people talk about Romo and Luck. People make it sound like Romo's this INT machine in the playoffs and Luck is this elite can do nothing wrong QB. Yet it's Luck who threw 12 INTS where Romo only threw 2 INTS in the same number of games.

I wasn't implying Luck as a rookie was as good as Peyton when he left Indy. He wasn't close to what Peyton was then and isn't close now to what Peyton was in his prime. What I'm saying is Luck is a very good young QB who has the ability to carry a team that a majority of QB's couldn't which is why he was rated so high coming out of Stanford and was taken #1 overall. If you put Russell Wilson in Indy in 2012 and Luck in Seattle, Wilson would have very likely flamed out with the Colts and might be playing for another team right now while Luck might have at least 2 SB wins. Luck produced over 4700 yards last season with 40 TD's which exceeds Romo's career best of 36 TD's. Even despite a bad OL Luck was sacked 2 fewer times last season than Romo who's playing behind arguably the best OL in football. I've seen Luck play several games and he's had some great performances with some terrific comebacks where it was all him.

To have 3 playoff wins in only 3 seasons and reach an AFC title game is pretty remarkable considering the team he plays for. I'm not sure there's a QB in the league that has done more with less than Andrew Luck. If Indy can get a little more talent around him I firmly believe based on some of the games I've seen of Luck that he'll be the best QB in the game within another 2-3 years. The reason many think Romo is an int machine is because several have come at the worst possible moment on Nationally televised games. His pick in the final minute vs the Jets in 2011 came on a Monday Night. He only tossed one pick vs Denver 2 years ago but it came a the worst moment and it got replayed for days because of how great the game and Romo's performance was.

His 3 int's vs Washington in 2012 came on a Nationally televised Sunday Night game with a playoff birth on the line. Granted Luck has had some bad games including against the Cowboys last season but he's had some great games and because he's led the Colts to the playoffs each of his first 3 seasons and reached a title game last season his bad games and mistakes aren't as heavily scrutinized as they would be if the Colts were missing the playoffs every year. It's not like Luck is being carried to the playoffs he's doing the carrying. You have to remember this is only his 4th season and he's still developing. At some point the playoffs aren't going to be good enough everyone is going to start expecting a SB. Luck is ahead of where Peyton was entering his 4th season having already won 3 playoff games.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Take your tiring agenda elsewhere just another ridiculous spin by a FAN who has Tony Romo ranked ahead of Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman. LOL That says it all about you and your knowledge of the game. All you ever do is come around to try and stir up trouble with me. Give it a rest!

You refused to answer the question again.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't implying Luck as a rookie was as good as Peyton when he left Indy...
Irony.

I post an article. You don’t read the first paragraph because it’s “too long.” You post a reply to Zman’s comments. Your reply is over 2 ½ times longer than the first paragraph of the article but you expect Zman and others to read it.

Irony.

Pessimist Cowboy reads the OP. He makes a comment about the article. You read his comment that does not quote or mention you, assume it’s meant for you, and replied accordingly. Eventually you discover you were mistaken but you don’t apologize to Pessimist Cowboy.

Classics.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
So was it just one comment or my entire post that has you shaking your head? lol So you honestly believe if Romo has to win games most of this season attempting 40-plus passes, his RB's averaging less than 4.0 a carry and his defense providing little pass rush and being gashed by the run when games are on the line he won't have at least one bad game? Can you point to a season in his career where he didn't have at least one off game? You wouldn't be able to find a season in Aaron Rodgers career where he didn't have at least one off game. It's clear some of you still don't get why Romo had such an efficient season in 2014. He's currently without two of the top offensive players in the entire league from last season who helped him have an MVP type season.

I don't think it's stretch to say the players around him better step up or it will result in some off games for him. The Cowboys will face their biggest challenges without Dez in games where they get down by 2 scores. The D is going to have to step up big vs teams like NE or Brady will carve us up. Romo may have to attempt 50-plus passes in that game if what we saw last Sunday is how the Cowboys are going to have to win games all season. Give me 10-6 right now and I would take my chances with it. Go ahead and give me another facepalm that's all you have. lol
Entire post.

Zman5

Reaction score
I wasn't implying Luck as a rookie was as good as Peyton when he left Indy. He wasn't close to what Peyton was then and isn't close now to what Peyton was in his prime. What I'm saying is Luck is a very good young QB who has the ability to carry a team that a majority of QB's couldn't which is why he was rated so high coming out of Stanford and was taken #1 overall. If you put Russell Wilson in Indy in 2012 and Luck in Seattle, Wilson would have very likely flamed out with the Colts and might be playing for another team right now while Luck might have at least 2 SB wins. Luck produced over 4700 yards last season with 40 TD's which exceeds Romo's career best of 36 TD's. Even despite a bad OL Luck was sacked 2 fewer times last season than Romo who's playing behind arguably the best OL in football. I've seen Luck play several games and he's had some great performances with some terrific comebacks where it was all him.

To have 3 playoff wins in only 3 seasons and reach an AFC title game is pretty remarkable considering the team he plays for. I'm not sure there's a QB in the league that has done more with less than Andrew Luck. If Indy can get a little more talent around him I firmly believe based on some of the games I've seen of Luck that he'll be the best QB in the game within another 2-3 years. The reason many think Romo is an int machine is because several have come at the worst possible moment on Nationally televised games. His pick in the final minute vs the Jets in 2011 came on a Monday Night. He only tossed one pick vs Denver 2 years ago but it came a the worst moment and it got replayed for days because of how great the game and Romo's performance was.

His 3 int's vs Washington in 2012 came on a Nationally televised Sunday Night game with a playoff birth on the line. Granted Luck has had some bad games including against the Cowboys last season but he's had some great games and because he's led the Colts to the playoffs each of his first 3 seasons and reached a title game last season his bad games and mistakes aren't as heavily scrutinized as they would be if the Colts were missing the playoffs every year. It's not like Luck is being carried to the playoffs he's doing the carrying. You have to remember this is only his 4th season and he's still developing. At some point the playoffs aren't going to be good enough everyone is going to start expecting a SB. Luck is ahead of where Peyton was entering his 4th season having already won 3 playoff games.

Have you actually watch Luck play in the playoffs? Go watch the game against the Ravens and the two games against NE. If he was the half the savior your implying he is, he would not have thrown 12 INTs to 9 TDs in 6 playoff games. He benefited from having a defense that held their opponents to 10 and 13 points.

Winning the games doesn't tell the whole story of how the QB played. If Romo's defense would have held the opposing teams to 10 and 13 points in some of the playoff games he played in, he would have 2 more playoff game wins.

Luck also benefits from playing against Jaguars, Texans, and Titans twice a year.
Had Romo had to play the last games of the season to get in the playoffs against those teams instead of NFCE teams, he would have won all of them and put us in to the playoffs in those three 8-8 seasons.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You refused to answer the question again.

You're the one who refuses to answer questions I posted several you ran from in the call out thread you started. That thread ended up backfiring on you. LOL All you ever do is refuse to answer questions once you get cornered you head for cover. You asked me why I hate the Cowboys. :facepalm: That sounds like a question from someone who thinks Tony Romo is a better QB than Staubach and Aikman. :laugh: Do you honestly believe a question like that deserves an answer? You mean in the entire 7 years I've contributed to this board you don't know the answer? If you don't know the answer then you must be more out of touch with reality than I've given you credit for. You're just showing up to join the agenda crowd. If you don't want to end up on the outside looking in on all my discussions again you better start coming up with something intelligent to reply to me with or I won't be wasting anymore time with you.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Have you actually watch Luck play in the playoffs? Go watch the game against the Ravens and the two games against NE. If he was the half the savior your implying he is, he would not have thrown 12 INTs to 9 TDs in 6 playoff games. He benefited from having a defense that held their opponents to 10 and 13 points.

Winning the games doesn't tell the whole story of how the QB played. If Romo's defense would have held the opposing teams to 10 and 13 points in some of the playoff games he played in, he would have 2 more playoff game wins.

Luck also benefits from playing against Jaguars, Texans, and Titans twice a year.
Had Romo had to play the last games of the season to get in the playoffs against those teams instead of NFCE teams, he would have won all of them and put us in to the playoffs in those three 8-8 seasons.

I've watched all of Lucks playoff performances. I saw him pass for 443 yards vs KC during his second season. He completed over 64% of his passes and tossed 4 TD's and made the pro bowl that season. Last season vs Cinn in the playoffs he put up 376 yards completing 70% of his passes. He then went to Denver and out played Peyton Manning getting the Colts to the AFC title game. If he wasn't a savior the Colts would have never made the playoffs in each of his 3 seasons. As for the Baltimore game you mentioned that was during his rookie year and he still put up 288 yards vs a pretty stout Ravens defense. He didn't play great which is why the Colts lost they need him to play great for them to win. He attempted 54 passes in that game which shows how much he's depended on. In his loss to NE during his second season Luck still put up 331 yards and 2 TD's. Granted he tossed 4 picks but the game was put on him. In last years AFC title game vs NE Luck was awful and it resulted in the Colts being blown out 45-7. Again it was all on him vs a great NE team that's being led by one of the top QB's to ever play the game.

When a team gets blown out the way the Colts do when Luck doesn't play well that's a clear indication they're not a very good team unless he plays great. Russell Wilson doesn't have to be at his best every week with the team he has around him in Seattle. He's not having to put the ball up 50-plus times in a game he's able to manage games due to playing for a very talented team. I'm telling you Russell Wilson wouldn't be near where he's at right now had he been drafted by the Colts in 2012. All the experts think Andrew Luck is a terrific QB they all have praise for him it's only FANS who seem to think he's not that good. There's starting QB's in the league that wouldn't be able to win with the team he has. Not only has Luck produced as a passer but he put up 925 yards as a rusher with 12 TD's in his 3 seasons. He carries a load like no QB in the game today. You obviously have no clue how much he has to do to carry the Colts. We've taken this discussion far enough it's all a matter of opinion I've made my case you've made yours now it's time to get back to the Cowboys.

Zman5

Reaction score
I've watched all of Lucks playoff performances. I saw him pass for 443 yards vs KC during his second season. He completed over 64% of his passes and tossed 4 TD's and made the pro bowl that season. Last season vs Cinn in the playoffs he put up 376 yards completing 70% of his passes. He then went to Denver and out played Peyton Manning getting the Colts to the AFC title game. If he wasn't a savior the Colts would have never made the playoffs in each of his 3 seasons. As for the Baltimore game you mentioned that was during his rookie year and he still put up 288 yards vs a pretty stout Ravens defense. He didn't play great which is why the Colts lost they need him to play great for them to win. He attempted 54 passes in that game which shows how much he's depended on. In his loss to NE during his second season Luck still put up 331 yards and 2 TD's. Granted he tossed 4 picks but the game was put on him. In last years AFC title game vs NE Luck was awful and it resulted in the Colts being blown out 45-7. Again it was all on him vs a great NE team that's being led by one of the top QB's to ever play the game.

When a team gets blown out the way the Colts do when Luck doesn't play well that's a clear indication they're not a very good team unless he plays great. Russell Wilson doesn't have to be at his best every week with the team he has around him in Seattle. He's not having to put the ball up 50-plus times in a game he's able to manage games due to playing for a very talented team. I'm telling you Russell Wilson wouldn't be near where he's at right now had he been drafted by the Colts in 2012. All the experts think Andrew Luck is a terrific QB they all have praise for him it's only FANS who seem to think he's not that good. There's starting QB's in the league that wouldn't be able to win with the team he has. Not only has Luck produced as a passer but he put up 925 yards as a rusher with 12 TD's in his 3 seasons. He carries a load like no QB in the game today. You obviously have no clue how much he has to do to carry the Colts. We've taken this discussion far enough it's all a matter of opinion I've made my case you've made yours now it's time to get back to the Cowboys.

Colts got blown out because Luck gave the ball away in those games. Unless you have a top 5 defense, ou are going to get blown out against any playoff caliber teams if you have poor QB play and he gives away the ball. That doesn't mean the Colts were a terrible team.

It they were, then they wouldn't have held Cincy to 10 points and Peyton led Broncos to 13 points in playoff games.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Colts got blown out because Luck gave the ball away in those games. Unless you have a top 5 defense, ou are going to get blown out against any playoff caliber teams if you have poor QB play and he gives away the ball. That doesn't mean the Colts were a terrible team.

It they were, then they wouldn't have held Cincy to 10 points and Peyton led Broncos to 13 points in playoff games.

So it was all his fault? When Romo gives the ball away several times resulting in a blowout loss and someone puts even an ounce of blame on him it get's twisted into putting all the blame on him and they get attacked. We've discussed this enough time to get back to the Cowboys.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
6a00d83452d6c969e201156f878af7970b-pi

It's deja vu all over again

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You're the one who refuses to answer questions I posted several you ran from in the call out thread you started. That thread ended up backfiring on you. LOL All you ever do is refuse to answer questions once you get cornered you head for cover. You asked me why I hate the Cowboys. :facepalm: That sounds like a question from someone who thinks Tony Romo is a better QB than Staubach and Aikman. :laugh: Do you honestly believe a question like that deserves an answer? You mean in the entire 7 years I've contributed to this board you don't know the answer? If you don't know the answer then you must be more out of touch with reality than I've given you credit for. You're just showing up to join the agenda crowd. If you don't want to end up on the outside looking in on all my discussions again you better start coming up with something intelligent to reply to me with or I won't be wasting anymore time with you.

I watched Meridith, Morton, Staubach and Aikman play and Romo has an edge over them all. History will show that I'm correct in that assessment.:)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I watched Meridith, Morton, Staubach and Aikman play and Romo has an edge over them all. History will show that I'm correct in that assessment.:)

Romo has an edge over Meredith however Morton had 5 more playoff wins but Romo is still a much better QB. Romo's only edge over Staubach and Aikman is statistical due playing in a different era under different rules. What has QB's rated ahead of other QB's is playoff wins and championships unless we're talking Dan Marino who's ranked ahead of a lot of QB's due to being what many consider the greatest pure passer of all time. Montana and Brady are rated one and two all time by most due to championships. It's laughable for anyone to put Romo ahead of Staubach and Aikman who have 5 championships between them and were both first ballot Hall of Famers and it only figures Amy who's parents probably weren't even around when Staubach played would give your post a "like." It's not like her agenda could be anymore exposed than it has been. LOL Let's see if the other 2 members of the agenda sorority who've been playing along with her dare to expose their idiocy any further by giving "likes" for that ridiculous comment. :laugh:

Zman5

Reaction score
So it was all his fault? When Romo gives the ball away several times resulting in a blowout loss and someone puts even an ounce of blame on him it get's twisted into putting all the blame on him and they get attacked. We've discussed this enough time to get back to the Cowboys.

No I didn't say it was all his fault as it wasn't all him that got the wins.

No QB can win a playoff games with a terrible team throwing 12 INTS and only throwing 9 TDs with only a 56% completion rate in 6 games. That's only 6 points a game average. To win some of those games, other's had to do their part. Those stats don't look like a stat of QB who was carrying a "terrible" 2-14 team.

That doesn't even account for all the INTs he gave up to give the opponent more opportunities.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No I didn't say it was all his fault as it wasn't all him that got the wins.

No QB can win a playoff games with a terrible team throwing 12 INTS and only throwing 9 TDs with only a 56% completion rate in 6 games. That's only 6 points a game average. To win some of those games, other's had to do their part.

That doesn't even account for all the INTs he gave up to give the opponent more opportunities.

You certainly gave the impression it was all his fault by saying "Colts got blown out because Luck gave the ball away in those games." If anyone said that about some of the blowouts the Cowboys suffered when Romo had 3 turnovers all hell would break loose. What you're saying is what I've said prior to last season about Romo's 12 playoff/elimination game turnovers to 8 TD's but it resulted in a lot of personal attacks directed my way. I've never put all the blame on Romo for those losses but t's been twisted that I have. You can try tearing Luck down all you want but he has more playoff wins than Romo in only 3 seasons and has gotten the Colts deeper in the playoffs than Romo has ever gotten the Cowboys despite the Cowboys being a much better team than the Colts were last season.