ESPN: Don't Be Surprised If Tony Romo Holds The Cowboys Together

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'd like to know myself...

Amy is one of those who thinks everyone is always blaming Tony but at least she has an excuse with her youth the rest don't have any excuses they should be old enough to know better. If you put some of the blame on Romo it gets spinned into putting ALL the blame on him.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Amy is one of those who thinks everyone is always blaming Tony but at least she has an excuse with her youth the rest don't have any excuses they should be old enough to know better. If you put some of the blame on Romo it gets spinned into putting ALL the blame on him.

It happens.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Romo's never done it without a true #1 threat he had TO when he first took over in 06. When TO was released prior to the 09 season other than the opening day win over TB it was looking pretty shaky for Romo the next 3 weeks until Miles Austin had his breakout performance vs KC and became Romo's #1 threat that season. Things started going wrong for Aikman after he lost Irvin in 99. This prompted Jerry to go after Joey Galloway prior to the 2000 season.

It's going to be hard for Romo to hold it down if he doesn't get more help from his receivers and backs in the running game. One of his WR's is going to have to step up to help counter the loss of Dez. If Romo is having to shoulder the load this season like we saw on Sunday Night I don't see things going very well. The Cowboys escaped with a win opening day against a Giants team they should have roasted.

Tony Ramiro Romo is lightyears beyond a better QB now than what he was when Terrell Owens was her. It's not even close.

Zman5

Reaction score
The were winning prior to that 2-14 season because they had Peyton Manning at QB. Without a great QB they were 2-14 and Luck turned the Colts around overnight. I don't see much talent on that team Luck makes the Colts competitive.

You are looking at this backwards. More like they were 2-14 because their QBs were Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky and declined Kerry Collins.

Why do you think most teams don't do as well with the backup QBs starting after the starter goes down. The team is same except for the QB. A good team with a bad QB play can start to lose games they wouldn't have lost with the good QB.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
When you lose Dez Bryant, you lose a receiver who can take over a game--like he did last year in Philadelphia. You lose a receiver to whom you can make a desperation heave and have a reasonable chance of him coming down with it.

Over the course of a season, those missed opportunities add up. But his absence doesn't mean you can't move the ball or score.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Complete article: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-murray-tony-romo-enters-defining-stretch-nfl

He was already short a star running back, and now Tony Romo is without his star wide receiver. But an older, wiser Romo has the ability to carry the Cowboys for this stretch, writes Jason Reid.

Jason Reid, NFL | 9/18/2015

Dez Bryant could be sidelined for most of the regular season. DeMarco Murray has moved on. Who could blame Dallas Cowboys fans for worrying? But Dallas still has Tony Romo. Don't be surprised if Romo holds the Cowboys together while facing the biggest challenge of his career -- because that's what great quarterbacks do. And while Romo definitely is in the club, this stretch can prove it to his many doubters.

For a team viewed as a strong Super Bowl contender, you can call the Bryant injury, combined with a performance that made a win more good fortune than good execution, was an unsettling start. It would be a big mistake, though, to write the Cowboys' epitaph. ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer can't wait to see what Romo and the Cowboys do next.

He says even without Bryant, there's a whole lot to like about any Romo-led offense, "which is why, even five years ago, I said Romo was in that group of the best guys," Dilfer said on the phone the other day.

"You never know when to say 'elite,' because you don't know where you stop. Do you stop at [Ben] Roethlisberger? Do you put Eli [Manning] in? I really never know where to go there. But I would say there's a Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks in the NFL. And if you think Romo is not on it, you're crazy."

Continue

This is by far one of the best artcles I've read about Tony's QB game and career.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
These writers think the Cowboys were all Dez Bryant and that's it.

Dez didn't contribute much to the Giant win.

And without Dez the offense will be more balanced on where the throws are distributed.

And it's going to give another guy (like Escobar) a way to shine and become another thing for defenses to worry about when Bryant gets back.

This forces us to use Escobar's abilities.

black label

Reaction score
Based off what? Dez made some mistakes early in his career. He's not perfect. Just like nobody is. He deserved every penny he got. The man is argurably the best wideout in the game. Has about as big an impact on a football game as any player in the league really. Has the ability to single handily take over a game. All the attention he draws. Route running has become more crisp each year. His blocking his superb. Dez is an all around player.

This dood would be putting air in my tires if it wasn't for football.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Agreed, it's pretty surreal. However, I don't doubt that after 1 not-so-great performance, they'll revert back to their old ways.

As long as Romo is healthy, we are still Super Bowl contenders. Dez is among the best at what he does and has a big impact on the field, but at the end of the day he's one of several NFL-caliber options that Tony Romo has at his disposal.

As long as the rest of our pass catchers (and that includes running backs and tight ends) can at least perform at an average NFL level, we will still win games.

....because we still have reinforcements on the way.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
He's bound to have a rough game or two if he's going to have to start carrying the team again. It was pretty much all him Sunday Night and it will catch up with the Cowboys if he's going to have to shoulder the load most of the season. He needs a lot more help than he got Sunday night if the Cowboys are going to make the playoffs.

:facepalm: