News: ESPN: Even if Jerry Jones won't say it, Jason Garrett likely on hot seat in 2018

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So we should just accept Garrett because he's the regular season champion and totally forget the fact he can't get the job done when its playoff time?

If you want to be satisfied with regular season success, more power to you. For someone who hates Jerry as much as you do, you are sounding just like him by giving Garrett excuses.
Who’s happy? We’re just assessing whether potentially if Garrett could be a good coach or not.

I’m not dismissing Garretts weaknesses just not sold we have better alternatives with Jerry.

HungryLion

Reaction score
How can it be if your as determined as Jerry to remain GM and with a puppet HC like Garrett?

Jerry wants to win BUT only his way. Winning a championship isn’t enough if he’s not involved or recives the credit he’s pursuing.

This is the sad sad truth.

Jerry’s inflated ego, is more important than the teams success. It has to be his way or no way.

In reality, Jerry is the worst type of teammate somebody could have. One who only cares about their own credit and not the overall team success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is the sad sad truth.

Jerry’s inflated ego, is more important than the teams success. It has to be his way or no way.

In reality, Jerry is the worst type of teammate somebody could have. One who only cares about their own credit and not the overall team success.
Unfortunately it also makes him the worst kind of owner if his ego is presenting an obstacle to overcome in fielding a better team and coaching staff.

It’s a shame because if Jerry could seperate himself from his own selfish agendas by delegating and hiring others he could be the greatest owner.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Who’s happy? We’re just assessing whether potentially if Garrett could be a good coach or not.

I’m not dismissing Garretts weaknesses just not sold we have better alternatives with Jerry.

We don't have any choice with Jerry calling the shots. But that doesn't mean we should accept Garrett and keep giving him 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances to figure things out. Its very clear after 7 1/2 seasons he is not going to get the job done. But hey, he has a decent regular season record every now and then, so lets keep him forever.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Garrett should be judged against his contemporaries, as you said.

As for your other point, I don't believe it was the absence from an NFC title game that was the impetus for Tom's dismissal. It was, instead, three straight losing seasons from '86-88, including a measly 3-13 campaign in '88.

Garrett was 4-12 in 2015. And Landry had more playoff seasons over his last seven years.

Pants

Reaction score
bla bla bla.............These are articles are nothing but a waste of time. EVERYONE outside of Jerrys inner circle knows that Garett is horrid and should be fired.

But the stone cold truth is that Garrett isnt going anywhere. It doesnt matter what happens. That much is certain.

oh, they know more than the rest of us and know he is a lame-duck coach until the team gives up on him,,,he isn't going anywhere

also, @Idgit , I respect your posts, but I am trying to figure out why you believe in Garrett so much? For me, I think that if he was in his 4th year or so, then his leash still exists; but, you have to admit that Dallas seems to be changing everything BUT him...he is longest tenured HC in the league (with one team) that has not coached in a SB with that team...I think it is 7 other coaches have been with their team as long as Garrett has been with Dallas and they have all coached and/or won a SB...this team fails to make adjustments and loses too many games after intermission...the players seem to like him, but it looks to me like none of them, short of Witten, would run thru a wall for him...it seems to me like other players in the league use Dallas as a sounding board to get contracts with their teams, but you don't see anyone that is any good wanting to come here (see: ET3, now he wants an extension - a ploy to get cut or was running into the Cowboys locker room the ploy?)

I truly want to be convinced why Garrett has your support and that of a few others in the 'zone....and please, don't throw around 13-3 and 9-7, especially the 9-7 - if we had a legit HC, then we don't lose to the Rams, if we had a legit HC, then Atlanta doesn't just run thru the turnstiles chasing down Dak (and it seems like once his confidence was ruined, he couldn't get it back during the season)...why on EARTH when you are first and goal at the 3 do you pass, pass, pass against Seattle? You have one of the game's best OL and a HUNGRY RB....without even blinking those are 3 more wins there (now, if Dallas had one those games and was 11-4 going into philly, perhaps we see a different philly team if they hadn't clinched, who knows)

I don't understand, enlighten me

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I get that Jerry wants to win HIS way; he's made that painfully obvious. But the longer he keeps Garrett around the less chance he has to win anything and get this so called credit he craves or thinks he deserves.

Which leads back to fans questioning whether he really wants to win anything. He knows Garrett isn't getting it and isn't making any improvement, but he refuses to do anything about it and constantly makes excuses for him. That would lead anyone with half a brain to wonder if Jerry really is interested in success.

cml750

Reaction score
oh, they know more than the rest of us and know he is a lame-duck coach until the team gives up on him,,,he isn't going anywhere

also, @Idgit , I respect your posts, but I am trying to figure out why you believe in Garrett so much? For me, I think that if he was in his 4th year or so, then his leash still exists; but, you have to admit that Dallas seems to be changing everything BUT him...he is longest tenured HC in the league (with one team) that has not coached in a SB with that team...I think it is 7 other coaches have been with their team as long as Garrett has been with Dallas and they have all coached and/or won a SB...this team fails to make adjustments and loses too many games after intermission...the players seem to like him, but it looks to me like none of them, short of Witten, would run thru a wall for him...it seems to me like other players in the league use Dallas as a sounding board to get contracts with their teams, but you don't see anyone that is any good wanting to come here (see: ET3, now he wants an extension - a ploy to get cut or was running into the Cowboys locker room the ploy?)

I truly want to be convinced why Garrett has your support and that of a few others in the 'zone....and please, don't throw around 13-3 and 9-7, especially the 9-7 - if we had a legit HC, then we don't lose to the Rams, if we had a legit HC, then Atlanta doesn't just run thru the turnstiles chasing down Dak (and it seems like once his confidence was ruined, he couldn't get it back during the season)...why on EARTH when you are first and goal at the 3 do you pass, pass, pass against Seattle? You have one of the game's best OL and a HUNGRY RB....without even blinking those are 3 more wins there (now, if Dallas had one those games and was 11-4 going into philly, perhaps we see a different philly team if they hadn't clinched, who knows)

I have had this same conversation with @Idgit many times throughout the Garrett era. I never truly understood his stance and his responses to me do not indicate this but from his responses to others I have come to believe he defends Garrett not because he likes Garrett, rather I believe he thinks Garrett is the best we will ever do under Jerry. He can correct me if I am wrong.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Basically, I’ve never blamed Garrett for not getting the 8-8 teams to the playoffs. I’ve always thought he took mediocre talent to 8-8–about what we should have expected.

I believe the 12-4 and 13-3 seasons were impressive. I don’t believe we didn’t advance in the playoffs because of coaching.

And I don’t believe the weaknesses with the team have been with coaching. I think we’ve done a poor job assembling defensive talent, and that the responsibility for that lies more with the organization than with the head coach.

Separately, I believe fans get way too wrapped up with what they see on game day (where Garrett is not special) and virtually ignore what happens the rest of the time, which is much, much more important.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have had this same conversation with @Idgit many times throughout the Garrett era. I never truly understood his stance and his responses to me do not indicate this but from his responses to others I have come to believe he defends Garrett not because he likes Garrett, rather I believe he thinks Garrett is the best we will ever do under Jerry. He can correct me if I am wrong.

Not exactly. I think Garrett does a good job and that the things that are getting in our way right now have more to do with Jerry’s responsibilities than with Garrett’s. I think there are better coaches than Garrett out there, but a strength of his is playing well inside our dysfunctional organization, and that’s tough to replace.

I’m open to an upgrade, but not to making just any change because people are frustrated.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Not exactly. I think Garrett does a good job and that the things that are getting in our way right now have more to do with Jerry’s responsibilities than with Garrett’s. I think there are better coaches than Garrett out there, but a strength of his is playing well inside our dysfunctional organization, and that’s tough to replace.

I’m open to an upgrade, but not to making just any change because people are frustrated.

There are many leadership styles...and over time, most improve where after-action analysis is intensive. Jerry and his coaches have always done their homework and the work to be informed. He isn't an uninformed leader today. I trust his basic instincts...sometimes, there are just some gambles and one has to live and adapt. Saying that an adjustment is weak minded, just doesn't confront the nature of management. Oh, Jerry redirects and so do those under him.

rpntex

Reaction score
We don't have any choice with Jerry calling the shots. But that doesn't mean we should accept Garrett and keep giving him 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances to figure things out. Its very clear after 7 1/2 seasons he is not going to get the job done. But hey, he has a decent regular season record every now and then, so lets keep him forever.

Wait a second…

In your first statement you said we have no choice because Jerry is in control and makes all the decisions. If your next statement you said we shouldn’t keep giving him second, third, fourth, and fifth chances. But, as long as Jerry is in control, we DO have to accept him and keep giving him chance after chance. Either that, or go to cheer for another team.

We don’t have to be happy about it, but we do have to accept it.

rpntex

Reaction score
Garrett was 4-12 in 2015. And Landry had more playoff seasons over his last seven years.

Not sure what your point is. Maybe that Garrett one losing season compared to Landry for three consecutive losing seasons? It doesn’t, in my opinion, but that’s irrelevant to what I was talking about.

Quite simply, I’m saying that Landry not making the NFC championship game for several years and very little to do with his dismissed. Had he finished the last three years In a winning fashion, he probably still gets fired, but only because Jerry wanted his guy in there. As long as Tex was in charge, however, Landry would have been safe as long as he kept winning games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And you don’t have to accept Garrett’s coaching ability either. I certainly don’t support everything he does. I’m only asking to accept why he's here and continues to be here. We have to accept Jerry. Accepting Jerry’s favorite puppet doesn’t appear any tougher to accept.

And if it’s clear after 7 1/2 years Garrett is “ not going to get the job done” which you didn’t define what that job is , I’m assuming after 20 + years You don’t believe Jerry is going to get it done either or are you lumping in when he was willing to hire a HC like Jimmy?

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not sure what your point is. Maybe that Garrett one losing season compared to Landry for three consecutive losing seasons? It doesn’t, in my opinion, but that’s irrelevant to what I was talking about.

Quite simply, I’m saying that Landry not making the NFC championship game for several years and very little to do with his dismissed. Had he finished the last three years In a winning fashion, he probably still gets fired, but only because Jerry wanted his guy in there. As long as Tex was in charge, however, Landry would have been safe as long as he kept winning games.
That’s a great thought . I’m not sure Tex would have fired Tom even if he had continued losing. Bum didn’t have the balls to fire him and wanted to. And a big part in why he sold to the lowest bidder in Jerry because had said he would bring in his own coach.

There really is no good time to fire a legend. You basically have to wait for them to step down.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Basically, I’ve never blamed Garrett for not getting the 8-8 teams to the playoffs. I’ve always thought he took mediocre talent to 8-8–about what we should have expected.

I believe the 12-4 and 13-3 seasons were impressive. I don’t believe we didn’t advance in the playoffs because of coaching.

And I don’t believe the weaknesses with the team have been with coaching. I think we’ve done a poor job assembling defensive talent, and that the responsibility for that lies more with the organization than with the head coach.

Separately, I believe fans get way too wrapped up with what they see on game day (where Garrett is not special) and virtually ignore what happens the rest of the time, which is much, much more important.

I am sorry , but you're incorrect...............12-4 season ended in Green Bay ; and yes , Dez caught the ball.But on 4th and 1 with more than 2 minutes left in the game , why throw the ball downfield to begin with ? Even if it was ruled a catch and TD as it should have been , there is NO CHANCE our defense stops A Rodgers with all that time left . Fast forward to 13-3 and last season's match-ups ; where exactly did Garrett learn anything ? Why is he passing with the NFL's best short yardage running back at his disposal and draining time is essential ? He has absolutely no grasp on game situations or assessing the opposition......................

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am sorry , but you're incorrect...............12-4 season ended in Green Bay ; and yes , Dez caught the ball.But on 4th and 1 with more than 2 minutes left in the game , why throw the ball downfield to begin with ? Even if it was ruled a catch and TD as it should have been , there is NO CHANCE our defense stops A Rodgers with all that time left . Fast forward to 13-3 and last season's match-ups ; where exactly did Garrett learn anything ? Why is he passing with the NFL's best short yardage running back at his disposal and draining time is essential ? He has absolutely no grasp on game situations or assessing the opposition......................
Those are important points and ones I think most are critical of as far as Garretts game day decisions.

But there is a bigger issue at play in why Jerry named Garrett” the future of the Dallas Cowboys” with only 2 years QB coaching experience which illustrates the level of Jerry’s football idiocy and personal agendas with the limited success since has gone to such extremes to protect and continue supporting Garrett.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Don’t be sorry. And I’m not the one who’s incorrect.

What you’re doing here is just second guessing play calls that didn’t pan out, and assuming the other team will he automatically successful when there’s no way of knowing if that’s the case or not. And that we wouldn’t have been able to do anything ourselves with another possession and whatever time remaining.

If you can make the other team drive to score, you do it. If you can’t stop a good QB when it counts, maybe it’s time to upgrade the defensive personnel that’s been getting this team beat since 2011.

cml750

Reaction score

Thanks for the clarification. I respect your opinion even though I disagree. I happen to think the gameday mistakes are way more important than you do. This is not to start a debate again. I respect your opinion even though I have a different one. That is where the old phrase opinions are like ***holes in that we all have one and they all stink come into play ;) .

Have a great day my friend!!!