ESPN: Jerry Jones' comments on Dak Prescott needing to step up with a bigger contract

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I was Dak, after Jerry just bashed me and tried to punk me out in front of the whole world, I would call Jerry, Stephen and McCarthy, today, and tell them I'm sitting out until I receive a new contract which I agree to. Let Rush and Lance QB the team to start the season. Once those losses start piling up and all of Cowboys Nation starts picketing to sign Dak immediately, we will soon find out who can punk who out.
Yep, Massive turnout man Jerry is in trouble!!!
200w.gif

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry. You said this last contract. He didn't. Think, Jerry, think.
Jerry is a successful businessman.

You can fool successful businessmen once, but not every often can you do it twice.

Thats why they’re successful.

How many players under Jerry, after not living up to a huge extension, got a second even bigger extension?

We’re a decade on Dak. How many more people are going to buy a Dak jersey at this point?

kskboys

Reaction score
I mean its easy to talk tough when the other party has already set the rules...
Dak's team to Jerry: "Thanks for the offer we will see you in FA next offSeason"
Jerry to the fans "UUhh blah blah blah...Im gonna hold Dak accountable this season, please praise me for it"
and some of you eat this up as Jerry "Taking a hard stance"..come on...
Yeah, this is just another miserable mismanaged player contract.

Jerry n his demonchild just keep going out of their way to prove that they are not football guys.

Plankton

Reaction score
Jerry Jones:

"Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on what Plan B is at quarterback for next year with no quarterbacks currently under contract: Do you know in this day and time you can have them under contract and they still not come? So contracts isn't the end all solution. Some of the best decisions that I've been a part of with the Cowboys have been when we didn't have contracts one way or the other whether the player was on our team or some other team. So I've quit a long time ago getting bent out of shape whether we have someone under contract or not."

What Dak ought to do is force Jerry's hand by suddenly sitting out right now as the season is about to start. Force Jerry to start Cooper Rush and Trey Lance and watch those losses start accumulating while the season starts becoming unwinnable. Then watch the public outcry from Cowboys Nation worldwide for Jerry to stop being a fool and save the season by re-signing Dak!

That will make Jerry eat his words.
If Prescott does that, the Cowboys can send him a five day letter, per the CBA, which would require him to return to the team or be forced to sit out the year with no pay, and have the contract toll for a year. Which would take away free agency in 2025 for him. If Prescott was going to take that strategy, he should have not reported to camp.

kskboys

Reaction score
If Prescott does that, the Cowboys can send him a five day letter, per the CBA, which would require him to return to the team or be forced to sit out the year with no pay, and have the contract toll for a year. Which would take away free agency in 2025 for him. If Prescott was going to take that strategy, he should have not reported to camp.
And since he's making 50+ mil this season, that would be incredibly stupid.

Just another case of people typing crapp w/o thinking it through.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I get the bashing of Dak's most recent playoff games but the earlier part of his career he did more than enough to win ALL of them.

Even his last 3 playoff losses, his defense and teammates have totally let him down. I watch every single playoff game, and recently the only QB who's been let down by his teammates and defense more is Rodgers. Well...Matt Ryan too. If he counts as recent. Just the cold hard facts.

Everyone else has players around them doing their job more times than not.
They did not let him down against SF either time. They held them in check and he had ample opportunity to perform.
Even against GB, he was a huge part of the hole the team found itself in, just as much as the defense was.

Steve007

Reaction score
I agree 100% with Booger. I’m glad Jerry said the soft part loud. Dak’s going to have to do more with less if Jerry pays Dak’s price. If there is any belief or reservations that Dak can’t do more with less then don’t pay his price.
The problem is we already know that Dak can't do more with less.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I get the bashing of Dak's most recent playoff games but the earlier part of his career he did more than enough to win ALL of them.

Even his last 3 playoff losses, his defense and teammates have totally let him down. I watch every single playoff game, and recently the only QB who's been let down by his teammates and defense more is Rodgers. Well...Matt Ryan too. If he counts as recent. Just the cold hard facts.

Everyone else has players around them doing their job more times than not.
I totally agree...his last 3 PO games were not good to say the lease and he absolutely needs to step up if he gets paid what we expect him to get paid. He needs to play like the TB game against all PO teams' period. Whether the Cowboys win or not will be based on how the overall team plays, but Dak HAS to do his part.

With that said, I think it is a bit hypocritical of JJ to say go do more with less...when it's his responsibility as GM to utilize every financial resource (i.e. manage to the cap without regard to the owners bottom-line) and every avenue to source talent (i,e, maximize on FA opportunities along with the draft and trade opportunities) to ensure he has minimized potential holes across every unit. That has not been his approach for the past couple of decades. JJ just needs to do more with more (which other teams prove it is possible and the cap is not the constraint that JJ/Stephen makes it out to be).

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
New CBA rules state as long as a player shows up and plays 10 games in a 17 game season, he gets credit for that season...and PAID...while awaiting free agency by the end of the season.

Guaranteed, Jerry will be calling and offering Dak a $60 mil/year new contract if the team starts off 2-5 (or worse) to start the season.

Plankton

Reaction score
New CBA rules state as long as a player shows up and plays 10 games in a 17 game season, he gets credit for that season...and PAID...while awaiting free agency by the end of the season.

Guaranteed, Jerry will be calling and offering Dak a $60 mil/year new contract if the team starts off 2-5 (or worse) to start the season.
You are applying the CBA rule incorrectly. If you report to camp, and you leave, the five day letter applies. If you don't report to camp, like Lamb did, you can sit out and still accrue a season. Being that Prescott reported, he can't walk away without potentially being penalized.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You are applying the CBA rule incorrectly. If you report to camp, and you leave, the five day letter applies. If you don't report to camp, like Lamb did, you can sit out and still accrue a season. Being that Prescott reported, he can't walk away without potentially being penalized.
What's the penalty? No pay? If so, no problem.

Plankton

Reaction score
What's the penalty? No pay? If so, no problem.
The penalty is no pay, sitting out a season without accruing credit for it pension wise and having his contract toll for a season, meaning he won't be a free agent in 2025. It actually helps the Cowboys financially, as they get a credit for his pay each week that can be pushed to 2025 to offset his salary.

But, right, no problem for Prescott doing that.

kskboys

Reaction score
The penalty is no pay, sitting out a season without accruing credit for it pension wise and having his contract toll for a season, meaning he won't be a free agent in 2025. It actually helps the Cowboys financially, as they get a credit for his pay each week that can be pushed to 2025 to offset his salary.

Well done.

jgboys1

Reaction score
The first thing Jerry has said in a long time that I agree with!

Agreeing with Jerry, actually makes me a little nervous about my mental state.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

No pay is no problem, but I was wrong to mention only needing to play 10 games to get credit for a full season. It's actually less. It's 6. So Dak could realistically sit out 11 games if he wanted, come back and play the last 6 while still getting credit for a full season.

How do you like them apples? Since Jerry is out barking and embarrassing Dak, Dak could decide to suddenly sit out and see who barks louder.

Plankton

Reaction score
No pay is no problem, but I was wrong to mention only needing to play 10 games to get credit for a full season. It's actually less. It's 6. So Dak could realistically sit out 11 games if he wanted, come back and play the last 6 while still getting credit for a full season.

How do you like them apples? Since Jerry is out barking and embarrassing Dak, Dak could decide to suddenly sit out and see who barks louder.
Dude, you seriously need to learn the rules about holdouts, because you are completely wrong.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...-easier-to-hold-out-than-to-show-up-and-leave

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry is a shrewd businessman. I don't mean he always strikes the best contract deals, but he certainly knows how to market the brand and generate value.

He is also supremely good at keeping the Cowboys topical and relevant in the media. You have to admit, for a team that hasn't really challenged for a SB in 30 years, the Cowboys are likely the most cussed and discussed team in sports.

This is why I think he seemingly drags contract discussions along for such a long time... it keeps the Cowboys front and center in the news.

Whether Dak is signed or not, it generates intrinsic value to Jones and the Cowboys. No matter what he does with the Dak contract, there will be an equal number of "love it" and "hate it" fans. He really doesn't lose (financially) either way.