ESPN Lays Off Ed Werder

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Well. This is a little shocking to hear from you. I figured you would be part of their target demographic.
Meanie!!

Well, I am, but I despise Vice. Have ever since they went to HBO and moreso now with that new channel. They used to be good. Trendsetters of sorts back in the day. Now they got all corporate and silly and shock-journalism.

Give me Frontline, Nova, Al-Jazeera every day of the week.

Last edited:

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Espn's been axing a lot of folk, lately. Sportscenter is at its lowest ratings ever. They're reeling due to the cord cutters.

Werder should be fine. I assume he's in some sort of sports writers/reporters union and will get picked up somewhere.
Maybe if ESPN weren't so anti-Cowboys, their ratings wouldn't suck so bad.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Maybe if ESPN weren't so anti-Cowboys, their ratings wouldn't suck so bad.

Actually, the only reason their ratings are as high as they are is because they take frequent shots at the flagship franchise in the sport.

If they ever hit a ratings lag, publish or televise something stupid about the Cowboys.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Actually, the only reason their ratings are as high as they are is because they take frequent shots at the flagship franchise in the sport.

If they ever hit a ratings lag, publish or televise something stupid about the Cowboys.
That may be true, but hearing crap like that about the Cowboys constantly makes me not want to watch anything on ESPN. As of matter of fact, I only tuned in last season to hear the dismay of all the Cowboy haters, such as Stephen A. Smith, when the Cowboys were winning.

Plankton

Reaction score
Espn's been axing a lot of folk, lately. Sportscenter is at its lowest ratings ever. They're reeling due to the cord cutters.

Werder should be fine. I assume he's in some sort of sports writers/reporters union and will get picked up somewhere.

The cord cutters are only part of the issue.

It's the rights fees for the sports/events that are killing them. Having rights to college football, the NFL, NBA, MLB, tennis, etc., in addition to subsidizing the Longhorn Network, SEC Network, the soon to be ACC Network, and it's an untenable model.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The cord cutters are only part of the issue.

It's the rights fees for the sports/events that are killing them. Having rights to college football, the NFL, NBA, MLB, tennis, etc., in addition to subsidizing the Longhorn Network, SEC Network, the soon to be ACC Network, and it's an untenable model.
Yup, I touched on that on a further post, Plankton :)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Werder could go the age discrimination angle if he wanted to.
no he can't. they laid off 100 people.
he was useless to them except in breaking seedy NFL stories and the people who want that content get it much more quickly than espn.