ESPN on QB Contracts (Dak)

cnuball21

Reaction score
the only choice is to go gambling in the draft. or there are a few here with Rush Crush...go figure

Yea, just an incredibly risky option IMO. I imagine we’d be picking bottom half of the first the next few years and the hit rate on even average NFL QBs is low.

And for fans that want an upgrade from our current QB the hit rate is even lower.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In 1991 Troy Aikman wasn't anything.

He was coming off an 11 TD 18 INT season in 1990.

Aikman was 100% not a difference maker in 1991.
he led dallas to playoffs and the division round going 1-1 in the playoffs. dallas offense was top 10, where you only focus on TDs and interceptions to try to prove a point (and into past history of it), he was key part of leading that offense. Dallas was also top 10 passing team in the league. only 13th in rushing. coming off 1990 has nothing to do with 1991. you are reaching back in history to prove the current doesn't matter. makes no sense. he was a key part of that team. there is absolutely no denying it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yea, just an incredibly risky option IMO. I imagine we’d be picking bottom half of the first the next few years and the hit rate on even average NFL QBs is low.

And for fans that want an upgrade from our current QB the hit rate is even lower.
so therein lies the challenge. is it easier and higher probability of winning if we go draft one. most probably need a high, top 5 pick...or do you try and build a team around Dak given that he may not be top 5, but among better QBs in the league that can win....yes, its risky

cnuball21

Reaction score
so therein lies the challenge. is it easier and higher probability of winning if we go draft one. most probably need a high, top 5 pick...or do you try and build a team around Dak given that he may not be top 5, but among better QBs in the league that can win....yes, its risky

Bird in the hand for me…Dak has had stretches of playing like a top 5 at times and consistently been at least a top 10 IMO.

Plenty good enough to win a Super Bowl just needs a solid team around him…like most QBs.

Similar player to Stafford IMO.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Bird in the hand for me…Dak has had stretches of playing like a top 5 at times and consistently been at least a top 10 IMO.

Plenty good enough to win a Super Bowl just needs a solid team around him…like most QBs.

Similar player to Stafford IMO.
I think its about consistency....he has some quarters or games where you just scratch your head and then he has ones that you go wow....

cnuball21

Reaction score
People keep saying it's ridiculous, but I don't see all of these great QBs around the league. Besides maybe 2 QBs, no one impresses me all that much. And I'm supposedly a Dak hater.

Yea, looking at this year only I mean outside of Mahomes and Allen you’ve got Tua and Hurts (only bc of running).

After that’s it’s a logjam of dudes like Joe, Herb, Geno, Dak etc…

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think its about consistency....he has some quarters or games where you just scratch your head and then he has ones that you go wow....

That’s fair, but that’s basically every QB in football. If you look long term at almost every QB metric out there he’s top 10 which speaks to him being more consistent than most. The good far outweighs the bad.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
People keep saying it's ridiculous, but I don't see all of these great QBs around the league. Besides maybe 2 QBs, no one impresses me all that much. And I'm supposedly a Dak hater.
there is defintely a changing of the guards....for me a top 5 is not an annual competition, to be elite which is what most equate a top 5 QB to, you have to have done it several years at a high level. so right now, Mahomes, Allen, Brady still, rodgers falling off but was top 5, Burrow on the edge (two years and counting). these 5 we can argue about being top 5, or elite...the rest varies from year to year.

everyone was touting Murray and he has been awful this year. cousins just can't win big games and shrinks in big moments worse than anybody else. Herbert is in the conversation. Derek Carr can be top 10 one year, bottom 5 another. if we complain about Dak's inconsistency, then Carr is even worse. not sure what happened to wilson. perhaps it was Carroll, given how they are doing with Geno smith who has bounced from team to team to team and seemingly found his niche now! people were annointing Mac Jones and he has crashed to earth. stafford was top 10, perhaps just outside of top 5 or beign elite, but he seemed to have lost interest after he got his ring. so in short, yeah, Dak is in the conversation for the 5 to 10 range for sure.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That’s fair, but that’s basically every QB in football. If you look long term at almost every QB metric out there he’s top 10 which speaks to him being more consistent than most. The good far outweighs the bad.
oh, if I wasn't clear, no QB has good play each pass attempt, or good play every quarter and every game....there are definite ups and downs. every QB, inclduing Manning, Brady, etc. made bad throws, bad decisions, etc. its just that they make more good plays than bad ones. some of these pundits take a throw and analyze it to death or take a quarter and just pound it...you can never analyze a QB in a silo.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah, I mentioned Allen's poor play the last few weeks in my initial post. Imagine if Dak fumbled a snap to lose the game?

I was never a big Dak fan. But looking around the league right now, I'm kind of glad we have him. There's not a lot of really good QBs out there.

The one thing that bothers me about Dak, when was the last time Dallas was down and Dak drove them to a late 4th quarter victory? I don't mean ties. Losing late in the 4th, Dak to the rescue. Does he ever do that?

first off,

I thought the narrative was not to be down late and have to come back, also another narrative Dak pads stats in the 4th qtr, IMHO, all NOT TRUE..

hers some current numbers and looked up career all time Aikman had 15 his entire career so there's your barometer. Aikman played what 11 years? Daks at 6.5 but if you take away most of the 2020 season and this season games missed, hes done that in say 5 years' worth of games, so 10 to Aikman's 15 in half the time??

So how many opportunities has he had, especially given hes 26-6 against the NFCE , how many games have we been down in the 4th..also its Team game, that's the truth and always trumps.one payers stats W-Ls always a team thing,

from memory ie like do we hang these comebacks on th QB say when we have an OT Game in GB and our defense just blew a 14 point lead but penalties on that OT drive KILLED it and no call on CD..that why these are skewed, comebacks thwarted by your own players penalties, drops, fumbles, and the refs hard to track, correct?

Romo - 24 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 29 Game-Winning Drives

Dak-10 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 17 Game-Winning Drives

Troys- 15 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 20 Game-Winning Drives

Player 4QC Years
Dak Prescott 10 2016-2022
Josh Allen 10 2018-2022
Jared Goff 9 2016-2022
Deshaun Watson 8 2017-2020

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]seems like Daks holding his own against the league and our other great QBS, with many years left.

Id say the more we dig up stats Romo and Dak oft criticized and hated on are underrated and unappreciated by our fan base.
[/FONT]

Flamma

Reaction score
there is defintely a changing of the guards....for me a top 5 is not an annual competition, to be elite which is what most equate a top 5 QB to, you have to have done it several years at a high level. so right now, Mahomes, Allen, Brady still, rodgers falling off but was top 5, Burrow on the edge (two years and counting). these 5 we can argue about being top 5, or elite...the rest varies from year to year.

everyone was touting Murray and he has been awful this year. cousins just can't win big games and shrinks in big moments worse than anybody else. Herbert is in the conversation. Derek Carr can be top 10 one year, bottom 5 another. if we complain about Dak's inconsistency, then Carr is even worse. not sure what happened to wilson. perhaps it was Carroll, given how they are doing with Geno smith who has bounced from team to team to team and seemingly found his niche now! people were annointing Mac Jones and he has crashed to earth. stafford was top 10, perhaps just outside of top 5 or beign elite, but he seemed to have lost interest after he got his ring. so in short, yeah, Dak is in the conversation for the 5 to 10 range for sure.

Well yeah, but you don't have to be elite to be top 5. Just not have 5 elite QBs in the league. There you go. Once Rodgers and Brady are out, there will not be 5 elite QBs in this league. There might not be 5 elite QBs right now.

cnuball21

Reaction score
oh, if I wasn't clear, no QB has good play each pass attempt, or good play every quarter and every game....there are definite ups and downs. every QB, inclduing Manning, Brady, etc. made bad throws, bad decisions, etc. its just that they make more good plays than bad ones. some of these pundits take a throw and analyze it to death or take a quarter and just pound it...you can never analyze a QB in a silo.

100%. I’d argue the same for Dak just not at the same level as those guys in their prime.

Daks number over the years show him to be pretty darn consistent.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Well yeah, but you don't have to be elite to be top 5. Just not have 5 elite QBs in the league. There you go. Once Rodgers and Brady are out, there will not be 5 elite QBs in this league. There might not be 5 elite QBs right now.

I think it’s only Mahomes and Allen at this point. Then after that you’ve got a tier of above average QBs that round out the top 10.

blueblood70

Reaction score
How much of a loser can one person prove to be in a single post?

A. Not everybody is broke. $10 a month for live sports every night. (plus some articles) is a fair enough deal.
B. The Cowboys haven't made an NFL semi final in 27 years, and you think the fan base hates to much? They don't hate enough.
C. Zeke earned his money? Is this satire? He has the most guaranteed money of any RB alive and has declined every year since signing. (At a luxury position mind you.)

S trol , stand for Stupid Troll , come here in your first 27 messages and just attack and call people named. Right , Loser?? , must be looking in a mirror

Broke? I use BR and other Free sports apps like most? first off streaming apps and service are FREE, choose better, ok loser.. easy to copy and paste to place like this as when it forces one to pay just to see a link, looks tad bit like spamming UMM ok loser

secondly, Real fans do not trash their team while propping up hated rivals, that's the new snowflake sheep style troll fanbase, the FF and madden era loser bandwagon fans, you get t-shirt for that club you are part of, ok Loser.

lastly,

yes Zeke started his career nearly out of the gate with 3 straight rushing titles, he was our Identity and our offense much lie Henry's doing now for titans etc He earned the deal, his offense changed a ton after 2019 and ad injuries,

sure the dividends are not paying off now, but you earn your deal on what you do up to point of the 2nd contract and in hopes you keep paying ast high level, sorry that the loser fans cant comprehend how that works.

no one gets a career deal as a rookie, but Zeke certainly proved his first 3 years he earned a big 2nd deal,. 2019 was a nice solid season BUT was the beginning of Pass happy Kellen Moore and changed the offense, the OL losing Fredrick and other was on severe decline ie 2020 there was NO OL , No QB, a new HC and add covid, 2021 he came out of the gate HOT and got hurt, played through it, offense was still # 1 again with pass happy attack , this year played great until the injury and now had his best game of the season..

go list all other RBs since 2016 that got the big money that actually been lights out and eared their deal.. I know the answer NOT many, really 1 i can think of the rest hardly have seen the field, many like Cmac, Kamara, Gurley, Johnson etc etc all have been worse than Zeke since their deals..its the NFL. like i daid what you do before the deal is earning the deal, expectations are to keep performing but only a blind hating fan would blame zeke for the last 2.5 season in which this year's hes splitting carries equally. you wont have stats when you are NOT feeding a volume back.. His YPC totals on par with the career HOF backs in his same tier.. go look at ES22 yearly YPC stats, might wake you a bit..

Many things changed around Zeke to easily see its not on him to why his production dropped.

Now call me loser again. ill take care of you like i take care of other bad hater troll fans.