News: ESPN: Rodgers clear to practice 11 weeks after surgery

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Experimental surgery?

Anyone have more details on what the pros of this surgery could be?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of any player tearing their Achilles and returning to play during the same season. This is one of the more serious injuries. It’s going to be interesting to see if it holds up if he does return to play this season.

aikemirv

Reaction score

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve never heard of any player tearing their Achilles and returning to play during the same season. This is one of the more serious injuries. It’s going to be interesting to see how he looks if he does return to play this season.
I think the player's union will be the most interested party in how well Rodgers fares. It is doubtful the NFLPA is privately supportive of Rodgers' decision. He could sway other players to take the same degree of risk in the future. And the outcomes may not be favorable to their careers.

Carson

Reaction score
I’ve never heard of any player tearing their Achilles and returning to play during the same season. This is one of the more serious injuries. It’s going to be interesting to see if it holds up if he does return to play this season.
I think it’s all for show. They are 4-7 and have Tim Boyle at Qb. They play the Falcons, Texans, Dolphins. Would be a miracle if they end up there 6-8.

rambo2

Reaction score

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No matter what procedure it is a stupid decision for them to let him play! Not one thing to be gained.
He’s at the end of his career, if he just wants to do this before he retires to prove something, then it’s a bit different if Josh Allen or Justin Herbert did it

He’ll have the next 40 years of his life to rehabilitate if it goes awry. But it would be a career-enhancing story if it worked

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think the player's union will be the most interested party in how well Rodgers fares. It is doubtful the NFLPA is privately supportive of Rodgers' decision. He could sway other players to take the same degree of risk in the future. And the outcomes may not be favorable to their careers.
It’s only been 11 weeks since he tore his Achilles and he’s already back practicing. That has to be unprecedented with this type of injury. Rodgers is willing to take the risk because he knows he’s at the tail end of his career. I don’t think a younger player would take the same kind of risk.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think it’s all for show. They are 4-7 and have Tim Boyle at Qb. They play the Falcons, Texans, Dolphins. Would be a miracle if they end up there 6-8.
Rodgers could possibly see this as his swan song. If he gives it a try and it doesn’t go well, he may call it a career. I really didn’t see him playing more than a year or two with the Jets.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Terrell Suggs tore his in April and played in October. Closest thing to it.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Whether the Jets are in this thing or not is not important to Rodgers. He will come back because his ego won't let him do otherwise.

John813

Reaction score
Experimental surgery?

Anyone have more details on what the pros of this surgery could be?
https://winknews.com/2023/09/21/naples-based-arthrex-plays-role-recovery-aaron-rodgers/

“The sutures that are put through the tendon on the top end, come down through anchors and are put into the heel bone, and it creates a knotless repair, so you’re not actually ever having to tie a knot,” Andrews said.

The speed bridge threads high-strength suture tape, which looks like a string, through both sides of the tendon, then tightly pulls them together, holding them in place until the tendon re-attaches. It is all done through a cut that is about 2 – 3 centimeters. Three centimeters is the size of a half-dollar coin. This minimally invasive approach is part of the procedure’s success.

“We’ve condensed it down to very small incisions, which helps with recovery time,” Andrews said.

Arthrex built its name on innovative techniques aimed at sports injuries. A surgeon from the Greenbay Packers helped create this Achilles repair, and he’s used it on hundreds of elite athletes.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Rodgers aside I hope it works, this would be a huge advance in sports med..
I think this is way too idealistic. Rodgers don't put nearly the strain on the achilles that other athletes would, and we don't know the degree of his injury anyways or what his "standard" return time would be.

We can't just assume it would work for, say, a defensive back. The idea that it cuts rehab from ~a year to ~6 months I think is pretty unrealistic.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I can't even believe this. Achilles with regular surgery is a year + to heal. This is insane.