News: ESPN: Rodgers clear to practice 11 weeks after surgery

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think this is way too idealistic. Rodgers don't put nearly the strain on the achilles that other athletes would, and we don't know the degree of his injury anyways or what his "standard" return time would be.

We can't just assume it would work for, say, a defensive back. The idea that it cuts rehab from ~a year to ~6 months I think is pretty unrealistic.
all medical ups start that way, does it work on small scale then you now have the base to keep tweaking it for bigger scale..again imagine a child not losing a year of whatever activity because they can now heal them with these med break throughs. My wife has a very agressive disease and has had many joint and ligament surgeries, this would be huge for her.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I hope the surgery doesn't work so we don't have to listen to him talk about his alternative health methods for the rest of time.
Well, his surgeon and surgery arent alternative medicine. It’s new techniques created by years of research.

Actually his surgery being successful and a quick recovery would be THANKS to modern medicine by a highly trained and qualified physician.

Not thanks to rubbing horse paste on it.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Well, his surgeon and surgery arent alternative medicine. It’s new techniques created by years of research.

Actually his surgery being successful and a quick recovery would be THANKS to modern medicine by a highly trained and qualified physician.

Not thanks to rubbing horse paste on it.
Whateverrrrr

The point is that he's going to blab about it and frame it in a stupid way.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
all medical ups start that way, does it work on small scale then you now have the base to keep tweaking it for bigger scale..again imagine a child not losing a year of whatever activity because they can now heal them with these med break throughs. My wife has a very agressive disease and has had many joint and ligament surgeries, this would be huge for her.
This is an overly idealistic opinion of what this actual surgery is and the conversation that it belongs in.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
https://winknews.com/2023/09/21/naples-based-arthrex-plays-role-recovery-aaron-rodgers/

“The sutures that are put through the tendon on the top end, come down through anchors and are put into the heel bone, and it creates a knotless repair, so you’re not actually ever having to tie a knot,” Andrews said.

The speed bridge threads high-strength suture tape, which looks like a string, through both sides of the tendon, then tightly pulls them together, holding them in place until the tendon re-attaches. It is all done through a cut that is about 2 – 3 centimeters. Three centimeters is the size of a half-dollar coin. This minimally invasive approach is part of the procedure’s success.

“We’ve condensed it down to very small incisions, which helps with recovery time,” Andrews said.

Arthrex built its name on innovative techniques aimed at sports injuries. A surgeon from the Greenbay Packers helped create this Achilles repair, and he’s used it on hundreds of elite athletes.
Hundreds of athletes. Whats the conclusion?

aikemirv

Reaction score
He’s at the end of his career, if he just wants to do this before he retires to prove something, then it’s a bit different if Josh Allen or Justin Herbert did it

He’ll have the next 40 years of his life to rehabilitate if it goes awry. But it would be a career-enhancing story if it worked
For the Jets it is a huge financial risk for no reward.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
They need to low key tank for a better draft. That means the players who are out try to win the game, but the coaches start some backups and maybe don't use the whole playbook.

Use that pick for BPA offensive lineman to protect Rodgers next season.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
He has had more press and attention since his injury than he will when he actually comes back to play...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He's not coming back this season.
He would be foolish to do so.
It's all posturing.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
No matter what procedure it is a stupid decision for them to let him play! Not one thing to be gained.
What if he wants to be the guy that came back from a catastrophic injury and closed the season out for his team? I agree that it's risky, but if the guy wants to do it, the medical research could provide results that change the game for everyone. The guy is already a legend on the field. He has nothing to lose by doing this so late in his career and if he pulls this off, every single human alive benefits from it. I'd say there's alot to gain.

aikemirv

Reaction score
What if he wants to be the guy that came back from a catastrophic injury and closed the season out for his team? I agree that it's risky, but if the guy wants to do it, the medical research could provide results that change the game for everyone. The guy is already a legend on the field. He has nothing to lose by doing this so late in his career and if he pulls this off, every single human alive benefits from it. I'd say there's alot to gain.
If I am the Jets I could care less what he wants. They have the risk here and the medical science does not require him to be hit by 300 lb guys that could cause a rupture at any time regardless of the prior injury! I think it was Aaaron Donald who intentionally put all his weight on Alex Smith post injury to see if his leg could hold it. Those are the type of guys who are out there! just dirtballs!

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Which he is going to endlessly leverage to talk about "modern common medicine isn't always right blah blah blah."

The guy's sole motivation for coming back to play is so that he could say he did, and it's for that reason.
lol-so you know why he is doing this? Are you some savant that can look into someones soul and decide why they are doing something even if that is against conventional thinking. Good for him to try to get back for whatever reason it is.