News: ESPN: With cap issues looming in 2022, Dallas Cowboys need to win now

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I can’t wait to read all of the fan denials saying it’s not an issue.

It's not denial at all.

DLaw*, Amari Cooper*, Jarwin*, Dak, Smith, Elliott* restructures or cuts (asterisk) are all solutions and on the table. Before the injury, the big discussion on Cooper was whether we cut him after the season and use the savings on Gallup, which depending on his effectiveness upon return is still an option.

Nothing burger IMO.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Talking about the 2022 cap now is kind of pointless. Even the article itself hints at how the Cowboys can create plenty of room by restructuring deals. Dak especially can see the bulk of his 2022 salary converted into an up-front bonus to provide massive relief.

We're only seven weeks into 2021 and ESPN is trying to get fans to run around in panic at all the players Dallas could lose next year. Let's worry about the Vikings right now, not whether or not we can re-sign Randy Gregory in March.

johneric8

Reaction score
Anyone sitting around and cap crunching numbers now needs a new hobby... Sure it's a valid topic of discussion but if you don't think we're going to get rid of some SERIOUS dead weight and manipulate the cap you're mental.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
because its not an issue.....would I want 50M cap space? yes....but these things are kind of tricky depending on the team, who is signed, who isn't signed, etc....for the cowboys, all the major players are signed except a couple....so yes, you have to dig in to understand. for us, it will be about opening up around 25-30M to sign a few key players like Schultz and Gregory.

I have ‘dug in’ so I actually do ‘understand’. Where clearly you don’t.

If you knew as much as you think you do, you’d know that there are a bunch more free agents than ‘Gregory and Schultz’.

:facepalm:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not denial at all.

DLaw*, Amari Cooper*, Jarwin*, Dak, Smith, Elliott* restructures or cuts (asterisk) are all solutions and on the table. Before the injury, the big discussion on Cooper was whether we cut him after the season and use the savings on Gallup, which depending on his effectiveness upon return is still an option.

Nothing burger IMO.

Have fun living in that denial.
:thumbup:

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
RG94, Hooker, Kearse, Schultz - must keeps

Would be nice to keep / franchise tag Michael Gallup.

Everyone else - LVE, Connor Williams, Kazee, Neal, etc are all expendable... we either bring them back cheap or they walk.

Cedrick Wilson will be cheap and a sneaky good re-signing, regardless of whether or not we keep/tag Gallup.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
As long as the Cowboys keeps drafting well, they will be fine. You give Dak that big contract for a reason. Plus the cap will continue to jump up each season. It’s not like some team is going to give Gregory 100 million 60 guaranteed.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Blake Jarwin $4.25M saved if traded/released
Amari Cooper $16M saved if traded/released
Demarcus Lawrence $9M saved if traded/released
Anthony Brown $5M saved if traded/released

So not including guys with expiring contracts, there is 4 guys to look at who if traded/released saves Dallas $34.25M against the 2022 salary cap.
I'm not cutting Cooper/Jarwin. I'm restructuring/extending those and keeping/tagging Gallup, and keeping Ced Wilson if he's cheap. Lawrence may be extended or restructured... I would cut him but I think there's too much dead money in that. Anthony Brown definitely a sure fire cut, all savings and virtually no dead money.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
As long as the Cowboys keeps drafting well, they will be fine. You give Dak that big contract for a reason. Plus the cap will continue to jump up each season. It’s not like some team is going to give Gregory 100 million 60 guaranteed.
The most important positions in the NFL are quarterback and guys who can kill the enemy quarterback. You don't let Gregory walk... he may be 28 but in athletic years he's more like 23-24 due to the low mileage. He's a low mileage lamborghini.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
meh- much ado about nothing imo. J-Lew, Anthony Brown, and Connor Williams can be gonners. Restructure a few others and sign RG94 to a big, (Hopefully) team friendly deal, and we'll be fine. I'm not stressin'.

Right. Restructures could take care of a lot of it. Dak has $20 million in base salary next year that can be turned into bonus. If we don't cut Lawrence to save money, we can turn part of his $17 million base salary into bonus to free up money. Cooper has a $20 million base that can be restructured into bonus if we don't choose to get out of that deal. Martin has $11 million in salary that could be pushed. Tyron has $13.6 million in base that we could turn into bonus with an extension (although we might be understandably hesitant to do that.)

So just doing those restructures, we could open up $50 million-plus. More if we choose to cut a couple of players, but that would leave us with a need to replace them. My math may be off some since it's not my strong suit, but opening up space shouldn't really be a problem. Yes, we eventually have to eat some of that money that we push forward, but you eat it with more reworked deals as you move down the road or strategic cuts.

If the players on this team land us a Super Bowl, the team will find a way to keep the ones who it believes are vital to that success. Some role players also would be likely to return on minor deals coming off that kind of success (kind of like what happened in Tampa).

John813

Reaction score
Lol they can be far in the black with two restructures. Gotta love click bait headlines and people who can't do math

conner01

Reaction score
meh- much ado about nothing imo. J-Lew, Anthony Brown, and Connor Williams can be gonners. Restructure a few others and sign RG94 to a big, (Hopefully) team friendly deal, and we'll be fine. I'm not stressin'.
Connor, Gallup and company aren’t included in the money we are already
That’s the real issue
I believe we have 45 or so players under contract for next year and we are over what the cap is projected to be. Now it may end up being higher, you can restructure guys but every contract you restructure means you have to keep him longer
The cap is no issue if you always have a guy on a rookie deal who can step in for guys like CW when they leave
But those wanting to trade for high dollar players or cut guys who end up costing you more are living in a fantasy world