News: ESPN: With cap issues looming in 2022, Dallas Cowboys need to win now

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Connor, Gallup and company aren’t included in the money we are already
That’s the real issue
I believe we have 45 or so players under contract for next year and we are over what the cap is projected to be. Now it may end up being higher, you can restructure guys but every contract you restructure means you have to keep him longer
The cap is no issue if you always have a guy on a rookie deal who can step in for guys like CW when they leave
But those wanting to trade for high dollar players or cut guys who end up costing you more are living in a fantasy world

Yeah they are. And there are apparently plenty of them.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I figure Gallup is a goner after this year.

D-Law needs to restructure

LVE probably won't get signed to a big, long term deal (if at all)

I don't know if we keep Wilson, Kazee AND Kearse ...I'd say keep Kearse out of those 3.

Diggs and Lamb will both demand heavy price tags soon enough.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I have ‘dug in’ so I actually do ‘understand’. Where clearly you don’t.

If you knew as much as you think you do, you’d know that there are a bunch more free agents than ‘Gregory and Schultz’.

:facepalm:
I do understand, I think you are dug into "I don't want to restructure xyz because I don't like their contracts and I want to move on...."

but as I mentioned those two guys are key free agents to resign. the rest depends and we still have 11 games to go. would I want to resign Kazee...maybe not...Kearse...depends.......not everyone is going to get a large contract like these two guys that are performing at a high level and are expected to get larger contracts. that's why restructuring comes into play to open up cap space....

R-E-L-A-X

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
And pushes tons of money forward, where they already have tons. Into years that armchair GM’s don’t deal with.

But have fun playing with the toy.

"Tons"

2023 cowboys liabilities figure at present is about $208M
2024 = $143k
2025 = $32M

Going into the next offseason, we have to decide:
1) Re-sign Gregory - LIKELY
2) Re-sign - Gallup &/Or Cedrick Wilson - UNLIKELY or release Cooper and Re-sign Gallup - Net neutral
3) Re-sign Williams OG - UNLIKELY
4) Free Agents (probably the same as usual - let most of our 1 year folk walk, find other tier 3 and 4 for depth)
5) Draft picks

The decisions will be really what to do with Lawrence (with his dead cap I think they re-structure) and Amari, and some of the backups currently on the roster.

The cap will go up again in 2023 and so not pushing some costs forward would be absurd. Any team that is competing for a super bowl NOT bumping up against the Cap is not trying hard enough.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do understand, I think you are dug into "I don't want to restructure xyz because I don't like their contracts and I want to move on...."

It’s certainly a factor. Take a look at Demarcus Lawrence and his contract. Are you happy with those returns?

but as I mentioned those two guys are key free agents to resign. the rest depends and we still have 11 games to go. would I want to resign Kazee...maybe not...Kearse...depends.......not everyone is going to get a large contract like these two guys that are performing at a high level and are expected to get larger contracts. that's why restructuring comes into play to open up cap space....

R-E-L-A-X

Again, I see a lot of talk here, with nothing tangible behind it.

Denial ain’t just a River in Egypt.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I figure Gallup is a goner after this year.

D-Law needs to restructure

LVE probably won't get signed to a big, long term deal (if at all)

I don't know if we keep Wilson, Kazee AND Kearse ...I'd say keep Kearse out of those 3.

Diggs and Lamb will both demand heavy price tags soon enough.

I don't think we can extend Diggs until after 2022, and Lamb we have for 5 years given he was a first round pick, so that isn't a problem until after 2023.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Tons"

2023 cowboys liabilities figure at present is about $208M
2024 = $143k
2025 = $32M

With NOBODY under contract. Or did you again not look that far ahead? You continue to prove my point.

Going into the next offseason, we have to decide:
1) Re-sign Gregory - LIKELY
2) Re-sign - Gallup &/Or Cedrick Wilson - UNLIKELY or release Cooper and Re-sign Gallup - Net neutral
3) Re-sign Williams OG - UNLIKELY
4) Free Agents (probably the same as usual - let most of our 1 year folk walk, find other tier 3 and 4 for depth)
5) Draft picks

#4 is a lot of minimizing.

The decisions will be really what to do with Lawrence (with his dead cap I think they re-structure) and Amari, and some of the backups currently on the roster.

The cap will go up again in 2023 and so not pushing some costs forward would be absurd. Any team that is competing for a super bowl NOT bumping up against the Cap is not trying hard enough.

I’m sure they’ll have to do that. But only with contracts they’re happy with. And Lawrence ain’t one.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
well, obviously this is click bait for cowboys fans...but

there are quite a few candidates for their contract to get redone to open up cap space.

there are few players that probably won't be here in 2022,
  • DLaw (post june 1 releasing him would open 19M in cap space)
  • Jarwin (post june 1 opens up around 5M)
  • Anthony Brown (post june 1 opens up another 5M)
  • Jourdan Lewis (could save around 3M)
so that's about 25-30M on 4 players alone.

then restructuring a few can open up quite a bit of cap space, like Dak, Cooper, Smith, Zeke, Zak, Collins.
Plus the cap maybe much higher than 208M, getting back to normal and some new TV contract deal that will add to NFL dollars.

I think we are fine.
3 out of those 4 players are playing, the one who eats up more than half of that has barely seen the field

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The most important positions in the NFL are quarterback and guys who can kill the enemy quarterback. You don't let Gregory walk... he may be 28 but in athletic years he's more like 23-24 due to the low mileage. He's a low mileage lamborghini.
You can’t trust him but I get what you are saying.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
With NOBODY under contract. Or did you again not look that far ahead? You continue to prove my point.

#4 is a lot of minimizing.

I’m sure they’ll have to do that. But only with contracts they’re happy with. And Lawrence ain’t one.

Our roster turns over between 50-70% every two years. Key players/starters on offense are signed through 2024-2025. Defense is in the middle of a transformation.

No team in the league has >75% of their roster tied up beyond 2 years (that I know of).

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Easy to say. Show your work.

Cooper and Dak have base salaries of $20M for 2022. Restructure their bases to vet min and make the rest bonus spread out over the remaining years, up to $38M right there.

Tyron and Martin can easily be restructured for $10M. I didn’t even bother to look at their contracts. Can easily restructure the bases of Jarwin, Lewis, and Brown for another $10M.

Already at $58M.

How much more do you want? I can trade Collins and save probably $10M on the cap. I can cut Lawrence saving a bunch or trade Lawrence.

Probably $80M just like that.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm done providing evidence. Stash, the moment you present an argument or a position other than "no you're wrong" I'm happy to continue engaging, but you've presented no real problem statements that I can see. This is no longer a good faith discussion.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
His contract has him squarely in the crosshairs. He has not earned his money since signing the new contract. He’s good. He is not worth his cap hit based on how he has played so far.

It would be outstanding to find a team willing to trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick and take on Lawrence’s contract. That contract SUCKS. Let’s hope the Cowboys remember this the next time a player holds them hostage. At some point you have to be willing to move on.

It won’t save enough to cut him.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
With cap issues looming in 2022, Dallas Cowboys need to win now

i

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys (5-1) have a comfortable lead in the NFC East, look like a contender in the conference and a possibility to make the franchise’s first Super Bowl since 1995.

A word to the wise: Enjoy this run because it could be difficult to replicate beyond 2021.

There is already talk about offensive coordinator Kellen Moore becoming a head coach in 2022, especially when former quarterback Tony Romo is calling Cowboys’ games for CBS. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn could get back into the head coaching mix considering how he has retooled the Dallas defense. And there are a number of assistants who could theoretically move to bigger spots, like secondary coach/passing game coordinator Joe Whitt.

But the biggest issue the Cowboys will face is related to the salary cap.

Next year’s cap is set to be $208 million. At present, the Cowboys can carry over roughly $3.5 million of 2021 cap space to their 2022 cap, bumping their figure to $211.5 million.

Read Full Story
:espn::espn::espn:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Cooper goes no where!! . But this crap about us not able to have money is hilarious. Lawrence June 1st cut saves us 19 million, Dak restructuring saves us like 15 million. . Brown, Jarwin saves us a decent chunk also, and all the money could gain by restructuring Cooper and Martin

Coop, LCollins, Jarwin, and CWilliams are likely gone.

John813

Reaction score
Who would you restructure to get in the black
Zeke? Dlaw?

Cooper and Prescott.

Both have a base salary of 20mil next year.
Max restructure is roughly 19mil of that 20mil.
Split 19mil over 5 years(Dak has 5 years remaining in 22) and Cooper can be given void years.
1mil new base +3.8mil new prorated bonus + existing bonus= 2022 cap hit.
For Cooper, that cap hit goes from 22mil to 6.8mil.
For Dak, that cap hit goes from 34.45mil to 19.25mil.
That's roughly 30mil created in cap space.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
But then we sign Gregory and Schultz, and at least one of the safeties, can it fit?

Makes us dangerously low on TE depth, and same on CB if the new young guys don't work out. It stinks that with all those draft picks spent on defensive back a few years back, we couldn't find at least one keeper.

One of the mega-contracts has to go, and yes, Tank looks most vulnerable. Coop next if CeeDee keeps playing like this. No good answers, we'll be thin on depth in a few positions. We need another draft next year like this year's draft.

too much dead cap to cut DLAw.

Coop and Collins are likely targets to get cut.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL Cap does not apply to the Cowboys.........:muttley:....just ask Rockport and friends.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
With cap issues looming in 2022, Dallas Cowboys need to win now

i

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys (5-1) have a comfortable lead in the NFC East, look like a contender in the conference and a possibility to make the franchise’s first Super Bowl since 1995.

A word to the wise: Enjoy this run because it could be difficult to replicate beyond 2021.

There is already talk about offensive coordinator Kellen Moore becoming a head coach in 2022, especially when former quarterback Tony Romo is calling Cowboys’ games for CBS. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn could get back into the head coaching mix considering how he has retooled the Dallas defense. And there are a number of assistants who could theoretically move to bigger spots, like secondary coach/passing game coordinator Joe Whitt.

But the biggest issue the Cowboys will face is related to the salary cap.

Next year’s cap is set to be $208 million. At present, the Cowboys can carry over roughly $3.5 million of 2021 cap space to their 2022 cap, bumping their figure to $211.5 million.

Read Full Story
This is just BSPN being BSPN feeding the trolls with bull****. This is one of the youngest teams in the league. Large salaries are dealt with every year. Tough decisions are made every year. The team will be competing at a high level for the foreseeable future. Don’t eat the cheese!