Et Tu Sturm

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

You mean Dak just focused on one read and that is Lamb. What a surprise…. I said it against GB, you focus on taking away Lamb, Dak is completely lost.

Dak is basically set on going to Lamb on the get go, but the guy he’s actually looking at first, at the bottom of the screen, is in single coverage and is basically wide open..

This is exactly i pointed out From the GB game, Dak never even looks at the other direction, if he looks right , he sticks with right, if he looks left he is never looking right.
i dont know what is going on,

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Here. Learn how to read a play correctly. Something many of you fail to do...

Post in thread 'Et Tu Sturm' https://cowboyszone.com/threads/et-tu-sturm.527288/post-13728886

Post in thread 'Et Tu Sturm' https://cowboyszone.com/threads/et-tu-sturm.527288/post-13728902
I'm not sure what posting someone else's terrible diagnosis of a play proves.

When Schoon is at the 35, he is already passing the defender. That defender is facing towards the sideline. Not even in trail position.
Schoon is open by a mile at that point if you have a clue at all.

Similar, but different dynamics, involving Turpin. If you understand momentum, which direction players are going, etc., it's easy to see.
Lamb POSSIBLY could have been an option if Dak doesn't add an extra hitch to his throw and make it late.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not sure what posting someone else's terrible diagnosis of a play proves.

When Schoon is at the 35, he is already passing the defender. That defender is facing towards the sideline. Not even in trail position.
Schoon is open by a mile at that point if you have a clue at all.

Similar, but different dynamics, involving Turpin. If you understand momentum, which direction players are going, etc., it's easy to see.
Lamb POSSIBLY could have been an option if Dak doesn't add an extra hitch to his throw and make it late.
Anyone with common sense can understand Dak was going through his progressions right away. Schoonmaker was covered early. Dak likely looked him off from his left view side and decided to throw to CeeDee coming from his right side.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Just no.

You have no idea what was happening in that play. None at all.
Rewatch the play. Dak did exactly as I said...he looked at Schoonmaker first (Dak's left side view) and saw him covered early, then switched over to CeeDee coming across from his right side.

You simply refuse to admit what happened. So who is telling lies now?

Not me.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
This my best stab at this play. The point is not to follow the play as it unfolds. As an NFL QB you have to take a look at the keys that are unfolding.

1. The key to this play is the safety two yards left of the left hashmark from Dak's point of view.
2. You have 3x1 concept. What you want to do is see if the safety moves by looking towards the trips side of the field. If the doesn't slide right then stay with the trips routes.
3. If the safety starts drifting right even two steps immediately anbandon trips and look to the isolation route. You probably have a one on one.

At the seven second mark of the video the safety is hopping towards the trips side because he is following Dak;s eyes. PERFECT!

At the eight second mark the LB has released Schoon's jersey and Luke is pulling away.

At nine seconds Dak has released the ball, and there isn't a Saints player anywhere near him for at least two yards. His head should have screaming at him you got a one on one iso on the left side. TAKE A LOOK!!!!

The trips formation did its job.

Lamb did his job beating his man.

Dak did the first part of his job by holding the high safety to his right, and pulling the robber to his right.

Schoon beat his guy.

The only breakdown was Dak didn't take a peek left when all the signs told him to do so.

That is how I see this play in terms of what happened and how the concept is designed. The harder throw is the 7 route or the corner route. You need good arm talent and strength, but it was only a 35 yard throw. I think that was the right choice to make and more importantly had you missed there probably wasn't a turnover there.

It was only Schoon and linebacker. I will take those odds anyday.
Safety definitely knew where the ball was going. He laid out wanting Dak to think he had 88 in 1 on 1. I’m sure safety was thinking pick all the way.

And Schoon is open from the get go. That ball needs to be out as soon as 4 completes his drop.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Rewatch the play. Dak did exactly as I said...he looked at Schoonmaker first (Dak's left side view) and saw him covered early, then switched over to CeeDee coming across from his right side.

You simply refuse to admit what happened. So who is telling lies now?

Not me.

I don't think you understand what covered and open is in the NFL. Or how play development works. Or how reading a defense works. And definitely not how anticipation works.

From the snap, you have the safety on Schoon's side working towards the opposite side. Right away that tells you that you have a great matchup of the TE on the LB. And then the LB gets caught flat footed looking the wrong direction. That is soooo easy.

He was NEVER "covered." He was always open. You just don't understand it.

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score

You mean Dak just focused on one read and that is Lamb. What a surprise…. I said it against GB, you focus on taking away Lamb, Dak is completely lost.

Dak is basically set on going to Lamb on the get go, but the guy he’s actually looking at first, at the bottom of the screen, is in single coverage and is basically wide open..

The difference last week is that Carr would have made a defense pay for that type of coverage.....he was seeing every damn weakness we showed them

khiladi

Reaction score
again, defense averaged 13 points a game. but you have attributed that to Rush...some how...

Rush didn't win in every way. he could not win a shoot out. he won or the team won agains the rams..apparantley throwing for 95 yards is so impressive you win in every way category. and you, yes you who calls out Dak's throws and analyzes it for 18 pages or more. did you see Rush throwing to cooper, in double coverage and it bounced up from the defenders hands? you, yes you who keeps track of almost interceptions and preseason and practice QBR...did you see that lucky throw and bounce? or was that somehow by the grace of God designed?

I never blamed Amari for anything. I was upset when the freaking moron GM got rid of him for a 5th round pick no less. a year after he gave him a top 5 contract.....the idiot.

and now, you want to call it garbage time...I projected season totals as you did. now you throw a hissy fit. it was totals, garbage or no garbage, but apparantley you want to move the goal post...again.

I call bullshiet when I see it. don't flatter yourself. you will disappear after a win, only to come thumping your chest after a loss and analyze 3 playes in 43 pages...... your routine is well established, well known around these parts. every body knows what you are.

How is Dalton by the way? heard your red headed hero is now starting in Carolina....
Rush threw for close to 400 yards against the Vikings and found Amari for well over 100 yards and 8 receptions and the game winning drive, while the team only rushed for 78 yards, while Dakazoids like yourself were acting like Amari disappears, which is why Dak couldn’t get him the ball.

Rush won period..

And nobody is throwing a hissy fit buddy. This 6000 yards claim was brought up in 2020 and as usual I was chucking and point out out how stupid it was. It was basically the Packers game every game of the season that year with Dak and his 7 TOs. If Atlanta decides to fall on an onside kick right in front of their face, Dak wouldn’t have won a single game. And Atlanta gave up 21 points in the 4th the very next week to Foles in the 4th quarter buddy.

5-1, repeat 5-1…

So if the defense can win for Rush, then what’s the problem with Dak? Doesn’t Dak “inspire”? How many points Dak put up against the 49ers with that same defense in the playoffs?

Might as well have started with your noodle arm at QB…

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Rush threw for close to 400 yards against the Vikings and found Amari for well over 100 yards and 8 receptions and the game winning drive, while the team only rushed for 78 yards, while Dakazoids like yourself were acting like Amari disappears, which is why Dak couldn’t get him the ball.

Rush won period..

And nobody is throwing a hissy fit buddy. This 6000 yards claim was brought up in 2020 and as usual I was chucking and point out out how stupid it was. It was basically the Packers game every game of the season that year with Dak and his 7 TOs. If Atlanta decides to fall on an onside kick right in front of their face, Dak wouldn’t have won a single game. And Atlanta gave up 21 points in the 4th the very next week to Foles in the 4th quarter buddy.

5-1, repeat 5-1…

So if the defense can win for Rush, then what’s the problem with Dak? Doesn’t Dak “inspire”? How many points Dak put up against the 49ers with that same defense in the playoffs?

Might as well have started with your noodle arm at QB…
I find it funny. you say almost for 400 yards, like someone from marketing....throw out the larger number it looks better. it was 360 yards....hilarious the lengths you go to....I could do the same and say he threw for a little over 300 yards. LOL

don't forget he had two almost interceptions, specially the pass to cooper in the end....I know you keep track of those almost interceptions in a spreadsheet somewhere, you have often pulled it out and argued with it against Dak. but you are avoiding that conversation like the plague....why?

now, amari cooper had 700 yards playing with dak in that season, and had well over 1100 yards the previous two. not almost 1100, but actually 1100 (LOL). so how is that exactly that Dak didn't utilize Cooper?

and you are the one who started the fuzzy math, projecting Rush going 13-3 (you can't deny that you did), and I did the same and yes you did throw a hissy fit, just like you are now.

with Rush against SF, we would have scored 3 points. prove me wrong. in that same season, Dak averaged almost 240 yards passing per game...cooper rush 116..... no, its not a mistype. its actually just that. 116 passing yards per game...that would put him 57th in the league.....almost at the bottom of the backups who played that season. seriously, I can get really close to that and I play flag football.

4-1 in 2022, yes. THANK YOU DEFENSE, THANK YOU DEFENSE highly appreciated. wish we had a defense like that. I find it very funny, you attributing the defense playing well to Rush. I mean I congratulate you for trying, it takes a vivid imagination to do that.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Anyone with common sense can understand Dak was going through his progressions right away. Schoonmaker was covered early. Dak likely looked him off from his left view side and decided to throw to CeeDee coming from his right side.
The "progressions" are determined as much by the lineup of the defense and their reaction at the snap then anything else. In other words, the correct "progression" is not always apparent before the snap. The QB is tasked with observing and reacting in the moment to what the defense is doing.

It has been very well explained to you the basic concepts of how that play is typically meant to be executed, which is backed up well by the eye test.

Dak had time. He had a receiver in a one on one matchup. He had the defense focusing on the #1 receiving threat. For some reason he chose to flat out ignore what film review has clearly shown to be the best opportunity for a successful outcome.

It's funny that many QB's might add a little pump fake in there to get that safety moving towards Lamb. Dak doesn't have to do that because the safety is already moving simply because he already knows what Dak is going to do.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The "progressions" are determined as much by the lineup of the defense and their reaction at the snap then anything else. In other words, the correct "progression" is not always apparent before the snap. The QB is tasked with observing and reacting in the moment to what the defense is doing.

It has been very well explained to you the basic concepts of how that play is typically meant to be executed, which is backed up well by the eye test.

Dak had time. He had a receiver in a one on one matchup. He had the defense focusing on the #1 receiving threat. For some reason he chose to flat out ignore what film review has clearly shown to be the best opportunity for a successful outcome.

It's funny that many QB's might add a little pump fake in there to get that safety moving towards Lamb. Dak doesn't have to do that because the safety is already moving simply because he already knows what Dak is going to do.
Schoonmaker got open late. Everyone was covered early. Get Dak another legit WR, teams will not be able to just focus on CeeDee. Every other QB has at least 2 good receiving weapons. Dak only has 1.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The number of bozos that assess 'openness' after the ball is released continues to amaze me. When Dak mentally decided to throw the ball, Turpin wasn't open and Schoon had not broken open yet. Now you could argue he could have waited longer but CD was the correct read early.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Early in the play they had a 1:1 look on CD. The defender on Turpin that made the play came over late. Now they probably schemed the coverage that way but you are wrong in saying it was clear the defense was focusing on CD early in the play. I will say this is the same coverage (some sort of hybrid/man/zone robber) that often tricks Dak into making the wrong throw.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Safety definitely knew where the ball was going. He laid out wanting Dak to think he had 88 in 1 on 1. I’m sure safety was thinking pick all the way.

And Schoon is open from the get go. That ball needs to be out as soon as 4 completes his drop.
Schoon wasn't open from get go. That's your biased imagination at work. At then8th second mark both CD and schoon look open except that schoon is not even looking for the ball. He is running down field...but CDbis already looking back at the ball.

NotForLong

Reaction score
This is exactly i pointed out From the GB game, Dak never even looks at the other direction, if he looks right , he sticks with right, if he looks left he is never looking right.
i dont know what is going on,
His whole career he has been doing this

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's pretty clear to most, I'd say.
actually most on here say otherwise...a few typical haters, just dissect one single play to death, making bunch of assumption, each saying something different, none of them understand exactly what happened, and call it clear...

yeah, its very clear. clear as mud