Video: Every Dez Bryant Incompletion from 17

coult44

Reaction score
Thank You!!!! Thank You!!!! thank You!!!! I have been explaining this too idiots!! all season long even now that the season is over, relatives good friends, co workers, haters etc. I call them idiots to their face, and I love most of the people to life, and I apologize to them but they believe they have football knowledge and they clearly are lacking. Dak is terrible with his accuracy, we have a very good receiving corp, we do not need to get any receivers in the draft, fix Dak's accuracy speed up his reading of defenses, footwork, and fix the OL and the DL draft another LB or two that lives in the film room like Lee draft a starting safety because we have very good CBs all over this team, tell our OC and DC to get their acts together or pack their bags, and draft the kind of depth that can actually start in the NFL. But mainly if we cannot do that stuff in this draft get Dak and his receivers on the same page (chemistry), the OC and the HC (whom I love and do not want replaced) to put his foot down when the OC and the DC are not holding up their ends.
Dez does not need to be traded, cut , or released and he does not need to take a pay cut, he needs to be given an increase if anything. I love Dak but he is horrible when it comes to our passing game. I said in 2016 and I said it all last season we missed our chance to win the SB by not putting Romo back in as the starter when he became healthy in 2016 and winning it again this season by letting Romo come back as the starter. I believe I was the only person that kept saying put Romo back in Dak was not going to get us to the SB in 16, but Romo would have.

Paragraphs would make it easier to get through.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Beasley led the team in receptions cause Dez didn't play every game. This nonsense some of you guys spit out because of your dislike for Dak and/or other players is laughable.
Has nothing to do with a dislike for Dak. It's called factual writing. Dak lived off of short high percentage passes for half of his rookie year. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Nor did I imply there was. The game plan was clearly put in to put Dak in the best position to succeed. He obviously excelled at it. As the season wore on the passing game continued to open up with less focus on short high percentage routes to more of an intermediate passing game. Both Witt's and Cole's numbers declined in the second half while Dez and Twill were more involved. Going into this year with the entire passing game available he struggled with accuracy regardless where the focus was at. Just a fact and has nothing to do with dislike.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
That article compares nothing. Unless Dak is throwing to players on other teams...oh, wait, he does, when he floats a pass 10 yards over Dez's head to get intercepted but yet people blame Dez for it.

That chart has other teams WR's. Where are the stats to his own WR's? Beasley had drops, others had drops. Dak was the issue as much, if not more than Dez.
Tell Witten to run a dang route past the 1st down marker when much needed.

Ok sure. Meanwhile every data point on earth shows Dak is very accurate. Perhaps you should go review Romo’s last full game and tell us all how accurate he was to the other team??

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Not true:

Air Yards per Attempt
1 Winston 4.86
2 Ryan 4.84
3 Cousins 4.79
4 Mariota 4.71
5 Prescott 4.61

On Dak's average attempt of 7.93 yards, he gets 4.61 yards from air yards (5th in NFL) and 3.32 yards from YAC.

Credit @percyhoward
Not sure I follow...says 4.61 yards per air attempt? If his passes were only going 4.61 yards on average per attempt I don't see where YAC comes into play for my point? If the player catches the high percentage 4.61 yard attempt and turns it into a 60 yard TD kudos to both. Doesn't discount the fact the pass only went 4.61 yards.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with a dislike for Dak. It's called factual writing. Dak lived off of short high percentage passes for half of his rookie year. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Nor did I imply there was. The game plan was clearly put in to put Dak in the best position to succeed. He obviously excelled at it. As the season wore on the passing game continued to open up with less focus on short high percentage routes to more of an intermediate passing game. Both Witt's and Cole's numbers declined in the second half while Dez and Twill were more involved. Going into this year with the entire passing game available he struggled with accuracy regardless where the focus was at. Just a fact and has nothing to do with dislike.

He was he one of the most accurate deep ball passers in the league.

Dak doesn’t like taking risks, it goes against his DNA.

Dez does not get open, but is the alpha in the room.

Dak is young and probably gave in a bit too much to DB because he wants to keep loud mouth out of his ear which isn’t uncommon for 24 yo QB’s.

Dez needs to go and Dak will become a better qb for it. He was just fine without him last year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok sure. Meanwhile every data point on earth shows Dak is very accurate. Perhaps you should go review Romo’s last full game and tell us all how accurate he was to the other team??

Since you already seem to know about it, then tell us.
Maybe you should go back to many of Dak's games last year and review how he was off target A LOT. More than he should be for a franchise QB.

Romo has nothing to do with this. Don't try to make a point about an apple with and orange. Well maybe a lemon in this case.

sean10mm

Reaction score
A video titled "DEZ BRYANT IS NOT GUILTY" is an unbiased representation of events I'm sure.

What I seen is passes to a WR who wasn’t open way too often

Receiver can't get separation or win jump balls anymore and everyone gets mad at the QB, sure why not, seems logical.

This also overlooks that virtually every receiver on the team but Dez had an acceptable catch % for an NFL player, a fact that people hide from like it's some kind of dumb fan kryptonite.

conner01

Reaction score
A video titled "DEZ BRYANT IS NOT GUILTY" is an unbiased representation of events I'm sure.

Receiver can't get separation or win jump balls anymore and everyone gets mad at the QB, sure why not, seems logical.

This also overlooks that virtually every receiver on the team but Dez had an acceptable catch % for an NFL player, a fact that people hide from like it's some kind of dumb fan kryptonite.
I fault the staff some with the issue. Dez is just not fast enough to get desperation running down the sideline. He needs to be running more routes across the field. But he has also never improved his route running. Dez’s Game is just muscle or out jump the cb, and he’s good at it. But even though he’s good at it, it’s still not a high percentage throw
Dak wasn’t sharp many times last year
It’s a combination of things but fixing it to me means if you want dez to be here and succeed he needs to be used in more different ways

JustChip

Reaction score
Should have played Rush more this season. There were games resulting in blow outs and the last game he got no playing time. Horrendous coaching decisions if you ask me.

Except that Dak is only a 2nd year player and needs as much experience as he can get. People forget because of 2016 that he was a 4th round "project" QB that was 3rd on the depth chart. I'd agree with player Cooper in garbage time if you had a veteran QB, but that's not the case.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I watched 6.5 minutes of the video and saw exactly what I expected to see...both players being the issue.

Obviously Dak struggled with his accuracy and needs to improve. Since this is a “it’s not Dez’s fault, it’s Dak’s fault” video I will focus on Dez

In the first 6.5 minutes of the game I counted 11 balls a WR of Dez’s caliber and salary should be able to make. I am sorry but those aren’t on the QB.
Dez earned a huge contract catching imperfectly thrown balls and winning physical battles with DBs and now all of sudden a ball slightly behind him or thrown low are considered “uncatchable” for him? If this is truly the case, then he should be cut for that one fact alone because he wouldn’t deserve a huge payday if he requires perfectly thrown balls in order to catch it.

The video is also a little funny in that to highlight Dak being the problem he throws in highlights of targets to other receivers. For example, the interception against the Rams bounced off Twill.

If the excuse for Dez is “all receivers drop passes” then then apply the same logic to Dak...”all QBs thrown inaccurate passes”. I don’t make excuses, Dak and Dez both need to improve.

Yup, the bias is clear. Dez didn't get worse overnight. He got worse over 3 injury riddled years. Dak is a big problem, as well.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
It is pretty clear the issues Prescott has in this video. On the other hand, Bryant has his own responsibility to catch the catchable. Both of them need work at it.
I would also say that the throws highlighted as "ball placement" issues, don't tell the whole story. It could be Dak's fault, or it could be Dez not adjusting to where the ball is supposed to go.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Both Dez and Dak were bad last season. No point in having a verbal battle all off-season long on which guy was worse.

I have more faith that Dak could bounce back, but that's largely dependent on Dez improving also. Honestly, I don't feel there's a realistic shot for either to drastically improve, but Dak's age might give him a better chance.

Pretty much where I land on it too... Dak's footwork needs a LOT of work. A QBs legs are their foundation-- and his feet were all over the place and he simply does not have the arm strength to get away with it.

IF (big if)-- Dak can get his technical fundamentals and footwork solid-- I think he can be a great QB in this league. He has a ways to go and regressed last season for a variety of issues-- not all of which were his fault.

Dez needs to catch the balls that him in the hands and stop over-reacting on the sidelines. His diva act is causing Dak to press too hard in the pocket to pacify him. Dez is pressuring the situation with his emotional rants-- and it's not needed.

Can it be fixed? Yes. Will it? Anyone's guess at this point.

condoin125

Reaction score
I give up (and not just because of this video). As much as I have tried to convince myself that Dak is the man I was wrong. He just aint got no ball control. And as a pitcher most of my life who knocked out a few moose in the stands I can tell you that you either have it or you don't. Dak is a great guy, great leader, and a pretty damn good QB but he is a bus driver. We can win with him as long as we can run the ball with regular success but it aint happening with his arm. Folks we need to draft some QB competition THIS YEAR.

That Rush dude is terrible. He moves like a 70 year old man and has a noodle for an arm.

Very sad situation. Can't win because Jethro is an idiot, Garrett is in completely over his head, and now we have a QB problem. Jeez. Only way this team is winning playoffs is with a wicked running game and a lock down defense. We suck I quit.
OMG...pick a side, I swear I have no idea where you stand on any issue.

diefree666

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if people realize that the excuse they make for a player makes them look worse than just admitting the player made a mistake or even had a down year.

A slick ball? Come on, really? Go to the store, grab a new ball and see if you would drop it while trying to lower it to the ground. Ok, so the ball was wet. Go wet your hands, grab the new ball, and see if you drop it while trying to lower it to the ground. If the ball was slippery then Romo should have had trouble catching the snap, not lowing the ball. Romo just made a mistake. It happens but trying to say it wasn't an error because the ball was slick is silly.

It's like people trying to claim Garrett iced Bailey. I can't stand Garrett, but if I believed Garrett iced Bailey, then that must mean Bailey can crack under pressure and now wonder if I should have confidence Bailey can come through late in a big game if the opposing coach calls a timeout. Bailey just missed a kick. It happens but he didn't miss it because he was iced.

Dez isn't expected to catch a ball that's slightly behind him? Then why exactly is he getting paid $12.5 million a year if he needs perfectly thrown passes? Receivers who can catch perfect passes are a dime a dozen and can be had much cheaper. Dez is supposed to be special. Is he no longer special?
you two are clearly either recent fans or flat out ignorant of what happened with the ball in the seattle game
http://www.5pointsblue.com/deflate-...bobbled-snap-field-goal-led-change-nfl-rules/

a interesting one

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/nfl/cowb...-cowboys-players-names-brice-butler/426219509

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/09/AR2007010901375_pf.html

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Not sure I follow...says 4.61 yards per air attempt? If his passes were only going 4.61 yards on average per attempt I don't see where YAC comes into play for my point? If the player catches the high percentage 4.61 yard attempt and turns it into a 60 yard TD kudos to both. Doesn't discount the fact the pass only went 4.61 yards.

The point is 4.61 was the 5th longest average for QBs ball to travel through the air, thus diminishing the argument that Dak was a "Dink & Dunk QB".

Below are his splits from 2016:

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage 19%
Pass Thrown 1-10 yds 56%
Pass Thrown 11-20 yds 21%
Pass Thrown 21-30 yds 4%
Pass Thrown 31-40 yds 1%

Here are Tom Brady's splits from 2016:

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage 24%
Pass Thrown 1-10 yds 47%
Pass Thrown 11-20 yds 23%
Pass Thrown 21-30 yds 4%
Pass Thrown 31-40 yds 1%
Pass Thrown 41+ yds 1%

condoin125

Reaction score
Thank You!!!! Thank You!!!! thank You!!!! I have been explaining this too idiots!! all season long even now that the season is over, relatives good friends, co workers, haters etc. I call them idiots to their face, and I love most of the people to life, and I apologize to them but they believe they have football knowledge and they clearly are lacking. Dak is terrible with his accuracy, we have a very good receiving corp, we do not need to get any receivers in the draft, fix Dak's accuracy speed up his reading of defenses, footwork, and fix the OL and the DL draft another LB or two that lives in the film room like Lee draft a starting safety because we have very good CBs all over this team, tell our OC and DC to get their acts together or pack their bags, and draft the kind of depth that can actually start in the NFL. But mainly if we cannot do that stuff in this draft get Dak and his receivers on the same page (chemistry), the OC and the HC (whom I love and do not want replaced) to put his foot down when the OC and the DC are not holding up their ends.
Dez does not need to be traded, cut , or released and he does not need to take a pay cut, he needs to be given an increase if anything. I love Dak but he is horrible when it comes to our passing game. I said in 2016 and I said it all last season we missed our chance to win the SB by not putting Romo back in as the starter when he became healthy in 2016 and winning it again this season by letting Romo come back as the starter. I believe I was the only person that kept saying put Romo back in Dak was not going to get us to the SB in 16, but Romo would have.
I agree we don't need to let Dez go but we still certainly need to draft a receiver this draft. We're aging in this unit and need to find a young body now....I think GB drafts a new receiver every year and there's a good reason for that considering the offense they run. We don't necessarily need one every year but we do need to draft another I think within the first 3 rounds, one that can play outside to keep competition at the position. There was a topic recently (either here or on the DC boards, can't remember) where everyone was naming the five players that give them the most hope for the future of this team; almost no one had a receiver on it and for good reason....we need to get a young, talented player there.

Donut

Reaction score
OMG...pick a side, I swear I have no idea where you stand on any issue.
Unlike most I don' have to be right. I want to win. Plus if he turns out a complete stud I will bring back one of my favorable/more supportive posts.

irishline

Reaction score
Lol, a slick ball? How many other excuses for him do you keep in your pocket?

Not really taking a side on this (I agree Romo is done) but:

http://www.5pointsblue.com/deflate-...bobbled-snap-field-goal-led-change-nfl-rules/

"The ball was slippery because it was brand new. Just ask Cowboys Pro Bowl deep snapper L.P. Ladouceur. He’s the player who snapped the ball to Romo.

“We got a ball change right before the snap,” recalls Ladouceur. “The ball used earlier in the game wasn’t the same as the one we used at the end of the game. The newer ball had wax on it. It’s unfortunate that it happened.”

In 2007, during the offseason which followed the Cowboys’ playoff loss at Seattle, the NFL changed the rules regarding K Balls.

Kickoff now begins using K Ball #1 and that same K Ball continues to be used in play until that ball is no longer an option. Once unavailable (if the K Ball goes into the stands, for example), K Ball #2 is brought into play. And so on, and so on."

Romo never used it as an excuse, however the league did change how the balls were handled because it actually was you know... an unused slick ball.

And by the way Romo had a higher QB rating and better record through his first 32 games (24-8 versus 22-10, and 96.3 versus 95.5). Not taking a stance that either QB is better than the other but one stat doesn't tell the whole story.