FEATURED FA agent thread

Praxit

Reaction score
...to old. I think he's good at plugging the hole and fighting off blocks. Forget about chasing QB or RB in backfield.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Everyone forgets that Brady didn't do the team a friendly deal at the beginning.
It was his 3rd contract that he started doing favors.
I include his rook contract as the 1st, because peeps need clarification.

Earlier in their careers, players start off more money-hungry because they don't know how long it's going to last. If they are good enough to last as long as Brady, then the money just isn't that important anymore because they are already set for life. Few of us would be any different.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
SO, we are bringing in Neal and Hooker, resigning Woods and then grab another in the draft? Way too much investment. We have Wilson who lloks at least like someone that will be around the ball. Sign one good free agent that doesnt have a million red flags and then maybe a 2nd or 3rd on a guy that fits what you like at the position.
My bad fam. I mixed up woods with Wilson. My thoughts were a splash singing with Neal, a cheaper vet in hooker. Wilson already on the roster, then a possible mid to late project pick. Jerry loves his late round small school safety’s.

neal would be the week 1 starter at SS, Wilson/hooker battle for FS. Wilson can also play either position. The health concern is real, very much a high risk/reward set up.

gimmesix

Reaction score
SO, we are bringing in Neal and Hooker, resigning Woods and then grab another in the draft? Way too much investment. We have Wilson who lloks at least like someone that will be around the ball. Sign one good free agent that doesnt have a million red flags and then maybe a 2nd or 3rd on a guy that fits what you like at the position.

I'm actually OK with signing both Neal and Hooker and drafting a safety. We need both starters and depth there, as well as options.

It's possible that Neal and Wilson could be the starters, although they both tend toward the strong safety side.

It's possible that Neal/Wilson and Hooker could be the starters, but Hooker has a tough injury history to overcome.

It's possible that Neal/Wilson and the draft pick could be the starters, but a second- or third-round pick might not be ready right off the bat or even prove to be good at all.

I'm a contingency plan man.

I prefer Kazee as the FS signing, but based on Hooker's injury history, he could be cheaper, allowing us to sign both him and Neal. However, I think Neal is going to be the most expensive of the three.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Earlier in their careers, players start off more money-hungry because they don't know how long it's going to last. If they are good enough to last as long as Brady, then the money just isn't that important anymore because they are already set for life. Few of us would be any different.
Agreed, but peeps want to be Brady before Brady became Brady.

Ah well, it's not like I'm going to change minds.
We got guys like @acr731 that just spouts stupidity left and right for the fun of it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's right, gang. It's not about greed. This multi-millionaire, who just cashed a 30 plus million dollar check last year needed 160 million over the next 4 years instead of 120 million because hes just trying to provide some security for his family.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That's right, gang. It's not about greed. This multi-millionaire, who just cashed a 30 plus million dollar check last year needed 160 million over the next 4 years instead of 120 million because hes just trying to provide some security for his family.

No. Like most people, quarterbacks are trying to make the most that they can in the job they hold, especially early in their careers. You can deflect this to try to make it a Dak thing because you can't stand him, but I think you know that's not true. Mahomes didn't take a cheap deal. Wentz didn't. Goff didn't. They made sure they got theirs.

Name me one quarterback who when he got his first chance to get a rich long-term deal said, "Nah, I'm good." They all want to be set for life. Now, if I got a few million, I'd be happy and set for life, but they are on a different playing field where $30 million in one year is just a starting point.

chagus

Reaction score
If we sign Hooker, which i wouldn't mind, a good back up would have to be signed as well. Got to have a contingency plan with this guy.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think at least for this season you have to pencil in Donovan Wilson as the strong safety. He has played well enough to earn that spot and there are too many other holes to convert significant resources to strong safety. I think Hooker (if he doesn't cost a lot) plus a FS in the 2nd round or late first if we trade down should be the biggest investment there. Then draft a depth safety late.

LittleD

Reaction score
Plenty of cap space to sign at least one decent FA and maybe 2. If they let some older players go their dead cap money will be way less than their cap hit.

You already know that Stephen doesn't shop in those sections of the FA market. They will wait till week two or three of FA. They always do.

LittleD

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen do not value the safety position because it is not a "money 5" slot. They will either draft one in the 4th or 5th round or pick a FA in the bottom of the FA barrel. That has always
been the Cowboys mantra. Corner, Will LB or DE is where they value defense. You guys should know that by now.

Motorola

Reaction score
Who actually spearheads the Cowboys FA search? Is it Will McClay, with input
from the coordinators and position coaches?

ghst187

Reaction score
Jenkins and Peterson (move to FS)
Also add DT Tomlinson and move on to the draft to get a LB and another DB and we good.

Sandyf

Reaction score
John Johnson S and Michael Davis CB but if we don't get a true 1 tech, it won't matter so throw in Dalvin Tomlinson DT for me.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Most of today's youth are looking for their first big-money deal. Brady, Big Ben, Brees and Rivers have all made their money and are more interested in winning at this point. Their initial big deals were not considered that team-friendly.

you are not going to convince me that Dak could have taken 35 and still got al he wanted in the future, he would have been a hero around here as fan base and instead hes added to the list of overpaid player on our team that will be picked apart every snap nd will be considered a failure if he doesnt step up his game..we all know how Dlaw nd Zeke got their money now Dak and Ac and none have done squat yet to earn it..just think if dak came in and said lets do the 35/4 and in the pressor said his agents and others ouch have got 40 but i want the team to succeed..the dude would have been an instant fan favorite, maybe pappy would have change his tune..instead he went for the juggler and took it all not one concession. He missed huge opportunity IMHO and now he will looked at differntly..

Dak made the decsions to not only get all the money lets stop glossing over he has no trade clause, no FT clause, highest ever signing bonus and over the 1st 3 years hes the highest paid NFL PLSAYER IN HISTORY

sure nioce job for the 5-10 ranked QB inthe legue maybe 30th player overall in the legue..im sarcastically clapping for dak, hes rich YEA!!! Garett says hello:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::popcorn:

Sandyf

Reaction score
Not against signing Hooker on a one year make it deal but you have to cover your bases and sign one you know can start now.