Factual look at this offense and at Dak

Batman1980

Reaction score
Elliott and the sieve of Dallas are meant to be the focal point, Dak and the receiving corp are supplementary.

visionary

Reaction score
He is part of the problem. But the problem is the area of the team you invested heavily in is seriously underperforming. And the area you did not invest in is performing how they should. If you pick a qb as a 4th round comp pick what do you expect? Did you actually expect this WR by committee thing to actually work. It was the dumbest thing i've ever heard so big shockface when we have the worst wr/te group in the league. I'm just happy he doesn't throw alot of INTs and is usually pretty careful with the ball. This team was not built as an air raid offense. You might not like it but this was a team built to run the ball, and win the t.o.p. game to help our defense.

Ok, perhaps we are saying the same thing but that is not what jt is saying. His refrain all season has been that everything is just fine and all the critics are flat wrong

To me, the QB is the biggest on field determinant of success. We have a QB who cannot deliver at a level that allows us to compete with the best teams so, to me, Dak and offensive coaches/scheme and HC are the biggest issue if we want to compete for a championship

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Ok, perhaps we are saying the same thing but that is not what jt is saying. His refrain all season has been that everything is just fine and all the critics are flat wrong

To me, the QB is the biggest on field determinant of success. We have a QB who cannot deliver at a level that allows us to compete with the best teams so, to me, Dak and offensive coaches/scheme and HC are the biggest issue if we want to compete for a championship
If you have the worst wr corps in the league who is open to throw it to? I mean I guess he could do the Romo thing and just throw a bunch of picks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Prove it. They do not use as much 2TE/TE+FB as anyone, especially not since they split their TEs out all the time .
Have you ever heard of google?

DAL has run 254 plays this year out of all 3WR sets. So 40% of the time they have fewer than 3 WRs on the field.

That's the 8th fewest.
The total was 5th fewest before last week's game where Swain was injured and his snap% fell from over 90 to 71.

DAL is ~5% less 3WR sets than the league average.

So, no, your agenda that Zeke is running into boxes is not mysteriously saved by this stupid assertion.
Either do your own research or stop posting nonsense.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Have you ever heard of google?

DAL has run 254 plays this year out of all 3WR sets. So 40% of the time they have fewer than 3 WRs on the field.

That's the 8th fewest.
The total was 5th fewest before last week's game where Swain was injured and his snap% fell from over 90 to 71.

DAL is ~5% less 3WR sets than the league average.

So, no, your agenda that Zeke is running into boxes is not mysteriously saved by this stupid assertion.
Either do your own research or stop posting nonsense.
Bang Bang. Killin em

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Do you think sometimes he might have to hold the ball because no one is open?
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

Just for context avg for receiver is 2.5 te is 3.

Sometimes?

Sure. I'm sure there are some snaps where our WR's are being covered.

However we can go around and around. Look a the column immediately to the left of the separation column. Cushion.
You'll notice that our WR's rank toward the bottom on cushion also. Meaning opposing defenses are playing press a lot more on us than other teams.
Would this account for less separation also? And if they are playing press, why? Possibly because they aren't worried about Prescott throwing over the top on them?

The stats are what they are, but there are a lot of different ways of analyzing and interpreting. I'm going to assume that you and I are going to be on the opposite end of most of the interpretations..... :grin:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So Dak fumbled twice because he had more passing yards? If he had actually thrown the ball on those 2 plays he would've had even more passing yards (assuming he threw a catchable ball) and we would've won that game. I get what you're saying, more pass attempts equals more potential turnovers, but that's a bad example.
Point being Dak played extremely well then didn't need to pass the ball so had few passing yards vs Jax,

Versus WAS he passed for 100 more yards but had to to overcome mistakes he made himself and the offensive line made with holding calls.

Passing yards is a terrible indicator of success.
And in fact passing attempts is the reverse. High attempts generally signals a loss.

visionary

Reaction score
If you have the worst wr corps in the league who is open to throw it to? I mean I guess he could do the Romo thing and just throw a bunch of picks.

Yes that's part of it but the FO and HC and offensive coaches had all off season to address this as they went through mini camps and TC and preseason

Are they so incompetent that they just did not see how bad our WRs and TEs were when a lot of fans could?

There will always be excuses and 'reasons'
At some point we have to stop and take stock and point out the reasons for continued failure

As I had said, if your QB is struggling to throw for 150 yards, he's a big big part of the problem

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Sometimes?

However we can go around and around. Look a the column immediately to the left of the separation column. Cushion.
You'll notice that our WR's rank toward the bottom on cushion also. Meaning opposing defenses are playing press a lot more on us than other teams.
Would this account for less separation also? And if they are playing press, why? Possibly because they aren't worried about Prescott throwing over the top on them?

The stats are what they are, but there are a lot of different ways of analyzing and interpreting. I'm going to assume that you and I are going to be on the opposite end of most of the interpretations..... :grin:
I'm pretty sure it's separation at the top of the route. Or when the route is completed. Not off the los. Stop making **** up.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes that's part of it but the FO and HC and offensive coaches had all off season to address this as they went through mini camps and TC and preseason

Are they so incompetent that they just did not see how bad our WRs and TEs were when a lot of fans could?

There will always be excuses and 'reasons'
At some point we have to stop and take stock and point out the reasons for continued failure

As I had said, if your QB is struggling to throw for 150 yards, he's a big big part of the problem
He's not struggling to throw for 150 it's 200. But this offense doesn't throw the ball a ton and when he does throw 35 attempts against washington he put up 273 yards and we still lost. So idk what to tell you. I think we all knew that Swaim and Hurns really weren't the answer.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's separation at the top of the route. Or when the route is completed. Not off the los. Stop making **** up.

I'm not making anything up.
It's in the column directly to the left. You'll notice that the receivers who get the most cushion at the LOS also tend to rank higher in separation (not universally, but consistently).

Referencing the bold, as an example if you have 6 yards of cushion at the snap and then run a slant, then when the ball comes your way, you are going to still have a lot of separation. More than you would if you ran a slant with press coverage and a guy on your hip.

is there a link or connection we can draw there?

Why or why not?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sometimes?

This is the world's biggest leap.
When a CB plays press on a WR it has mostly to do with zero fear of that WR.
Dak's deep ball placement and performance has actually been quite good this year.
The issue is WRs largely aren't getting open until 20 yards down the field.

Ask yourself how come Hurns doesn't have any deep catches?
He was WR1 until last week when Gallup jumped in snaps.

How come Thompson snaps have dropped through the floor?

DAL gave those guys starters snaps the first two weeks at WR.
They were not good.

DAL traded for Amari Cooper telling you all you need to know.
Jerry admitted they were going WR in RD1 next year.
WR was the weakest position on the football team.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
It's in the column directly to the left. You'll notice that the receivers who get the most cushion at the LOS also tend to rank higher in separation (not universally, but consistently).

Referencing the bold, as an example if you have 6 yards of cushion at the snap and then run a slant, then when the ball comes your way, you are going to still have a lot of separation. More than you would if you ran a slant with press coverage and a guy on your hip.

Why or why not?

How about our WRs get little cushion because nobody is scared of our piss poor WR corp beating them deep...Dak actually throws a good deep ball.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Dak's deep ball placement and performance has actually been quite good this year.

They were not good.

CB's play press for two reasons.

They either don't fear the WR, or the QB, or both.

I'm not discounting that the WR's are part of that equation. But I'm also pretty certain that they aren't worried about Dak beating them over the top either.
It's probably a little of column a and b tbh.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Why or why not?
No. Gallup and hurns are literally 2 of the 3 worst in the league. And antonio brown has one of the shortest cushions and almost doubles gallup and hurns in separation. They account for that so slot wr's should be closer to 3 and te's as well. For an average.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
CB's play press for two reasons.

They either don't fear the WR, or the QB, or both.

I'm not discounting that the WR's are part of that equation. But I'm also pretty certain that they aren't worried about Dak beating them over the top either.
It's probably a little of column a and b tbh.
It's not tho you just want to draw your own conclusions so you can ***** about Dak some more.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

They were not good.

He has no idea *** he's talking about.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Yeah. Him and Weeden.

Dak may not throw it very often but when he does it's usually a pretty damn good throw...how people can act like he doesn't throw a pretty good deep ball is ridiculous. He struggles with some other throws certainly but his long ball is pretty nice.

Dak has ranked very high every year with his deep throws, it's just not something he gets to do often.

Prescott ranked #2 in deep ball efficiency in 2017. Throws of 16+ yards.
2 D.Prescott 16 games 31/68 attempts 45.6% completion percent 818 yards 5 td 1 int

Last edited: