Factual look at this offense and at Dak

BoysForLife

Reaction score
No. Gallup and hurns are literally 2 of the 3 worst in the league. And antonio brown has one of the shortest cushions and almost doubles gallup and hurns in separation. They account for that so slow wr's should be closer to 3 and te's as well. For an average.

Antoino Brown is in a league of his own. I would expect him to beat anyone on our roster.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of google?

DAL has run 254 plays this year out of all 3WR sets. So 40% of the time they have fewer than 3 WRs on the field.

That's the 8th fewest.
The total was 5th fewest before last week's game where Swain was injured and his snap% fell from over 90 to 71.

DAL is ~5% less 3WR sets than the league average.

So, no, your agenda that Zeke is running into boxes is not mysteriously saved by this stupid assertion.
Either do your own research or stop posting nonsense.
Nonsense. Ok.

Tell me this...How many times were they in 2 TE packages by down and distance? How many times were they in a 2 TE package where one TE wasn't split out? How many times did they split out a RB? How many times were they in 2 TE packages in the 4th quarter while trailing? Not to mention how many times were they in 4WR or empty? Just b/c they aren't in 3WR packages doesn't mean they have fewer lol. Now compare that to the rest of the league and the defenders that they face in those situations.

It's not nonsense just b/c you don't understand things like, you know, context.

Go ahead and watch DJ Swearinger last week and tell me they weren't running a 7-man box against 6 blockers. Go watch the Zeke TD run against Jax and tell me they didn't have an extra defender.

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dak may not throw it very often but when he does it's usually a pretty damn good throw...how people can act like he doesn't throw a pretty good deep ball is ridiculous. He struggles with some other throws certainly but his long ball is pretty nice.
Dak throws the ball really well when he has a clean pocket and clearly sees his man.

The problem is that so does every other NFL QB.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Dak throws the ball really well when he has a clean pocket and clearly sees his man.

The problem is that so does every other NFL QB.
That's not true...his numbers when pressured under 40% of snaps are elite. Not every QB is this way. If what you're trying to pretend is true with ALL NFL QBs then why are his numbers so much better than so many other QBs when he's pressured under 40% of snaps?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's not true...his numbers when pressured under 40% of snaps are elite. Not every QB is this way.
What does that even mean...pressured under 40%? What's the volume of passes? How is pressure defined? Does it account for air yards?

This seems like a ridiculously specific measurement and 40% seems like a pretty arbitrary line.

Is that from this article: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...essure-analysis-analytics-pro-football-focus/

Alex Smith and Case Keenum are two of the top 4 on that list for unpressured...which makes it effectively useless for measuring quality passing. Dak is also horrible from a clean pocket in games where he's pressured often, which totally undermines this idea that he's elite when he's protected. QBs have to live snap-to-snap, and that suggests he doesn't do it.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
CB's play press for two reasons.

They either don't fear the WR, or the QB, or both.

I'm not discounting that the WR's are part of that equation. But I'm also pretty certain that they aren't worried about Dak beating them over the top either.
It's probably a little of column a and b tbh.
Beasley is among the league leaders at WR in cushion....

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-cushion

He is at 6.5

Amari Cooper is at 6.7

Swaim is at 4.7
Gallup is at 4.6
Thompson 4.65

Hurns is 4.1
https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/allen-hurns/

So with the SAME QB your presumed WR1 has the least cushion of anyone........

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
8 men is 8 men for purposes of the study.

DAL uses as much 2 TE stuff as anyone so that really isn't a reason they'd see less 8 men boxes.

Reality is DAL OL has been getting whipped 5 on 5 and even 5 on 4.
Teams haven't really had to stack the box to stop Zeke.

They can press the WRs outside and those players then become run defenders as well.
DAL had 1 WR who wins in tight man coverage; Beasley.
Cooper gives them a second.
DAL does win outside well down (Gallup, Austin and Thompson) the field but those are really slow developing plays.

IMHO the biggest issue has been Hurns. I do not think e presents any threat whatsoever. He is a WR4 or WR5 imho as an outside back up.

Another factor is running the football simply doesn't equate to winning.
Not like passing efficiency does.
Defenses can let Zeke get 120 and still hold the offense down if they focus in hitting Dak as much as possible.

That'd be my game plan as a DC.
Other than the shade being cast on the #17 ,there @jterrell , because I'm seeing a less robust rendition of the early #9 to the #83 hook-up between the #4 & #17 man, that dude has for all intentional purposes has been turning in the #83's game outputo_O,,, I can be picking up on what yer' laying down:starspin:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Other than the shade being cast on the #17 ,there @jterrell , because I'm seeing a less robust rendition of the early #9 to the #83 hook-up between the #4 & #17 man, that dude has for all intentional purposes has been turning in the #83's game outputo_O,,, I can be picking up on what yer' laying down:starspin:
One thing not mentioned about going from 88 and 83 to the current WR group is how much lesser these guys are as blockers.
88 and 83 were straight up killers as blocking WRs.

Part of the run blocking that has suffered most is just that drop off and of course the drop off at TE.
Swain is pretty good but the other TEs are bad.
Jarwin and Schultz block like WRs.
Rico is still learning who to block.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
How about our WRs get little cushion because nobody is scared of our piss poor WR corp beating them deep...Dak actually throws a good deep ball.
Considering Dak has hit deep balls to Rico, Zeke, Austin, Gallup.... yea I'd say perhaps you wanna see your outside WRs win more. Unfortunately Austin had 2 drops and Gallup had 1. Zeke actually stepped out of bounds on one play.
So the guys who got open deep aren't very polished as pass catchers.

You'd like to think you fixed that with Amari Cooper who has 1 drop this year and has gotten a ton of seperation.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I like your style my man. Not to mention penalties. The offensive line is notorious for inopportune penalties. These penalties usually come after a HUGE PLAY by your QB, and puts us in 3rd and long. You can't have that.
Appreciate it fam. Just trying to see the big picture. I laugh at fans still salty that Dak took their GF's job.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Could you list the 1st and 2nd down numbers and remove the last 2 minutes of the half and compare it to the rest of the league when it comes to Zekes 8 in the box?
Why? Have an agenda maybe?

PUSHfold

Reaction score
What does that even mean...pressured under 40%? What's the volume of passes? How is pressure defined? Does it account for air yards?

This seems like a ridiculously specific measurement and 40% seems like a pretty arbitrary line.

Is that from this article: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...essure-analysis-analytics-pro-football-focus/

Alex Smith and Case Keenum are two of the top 4 on that list for unpressured...which makes it effectively useless for measuring quality passing. Dak is also horrible from a clean pocket in games where he's pressured often, which totally undermines this idea that he's elite when he's protected. QBs have to live snap-to-snap, and that suggests he doesn't do it.

Pressured under 40% of drop backs, it's in a lot of articles. Not only are Alex Smith and Case Keenum(who both had great seasons last year) in that list but that list comprises all of the elite QBs in the game basically. Yes 40% is an arbitrary number I'm sure but a lot of stats choose arbitrary numbers. Whether you like it or not in games where Dak receives good pass protection he's had incredible numbers as good as anybody in the game. You act as if I'm claiming Dak is an elite QB and I'm not, what I'm saying is that he has a lot of good things about him which he should be able to build upon. He's still a very young QB and learning the game, it will slow down for him at some point. He will learn to read defenses better in time. There's still plenty of reason to think Prescott can develop into a franchise QB. A lot of you act like Prescott is absolute trash and is absolutely horrible which isn't true. Here's that list from the article you posted it's a whose who of elite QBs in the league from last year. Take these stats how you want, all stats can be interpreted however someone chooses. What I infer from this is if we give Prescott good pass protection he can win us a lot of games and get us where we want to go. I don't care if Prescott can carry a team on his own why would I want my QB to do that? All that means is we've built a **** team. Prescott absolutely needs to work on his game when he's under pressure. Nobody will debate that fact, it's the one part of his game that is really bad.
Passer ratings in low-pressure (< 40 percent) vs. high-pressure (≥ 40%)

Smith: 119.6 (94.5)
Prescott: 119.0 (74.0)
Goff 114.9 (90.2)
Keenum 114.2 (102.3)
Brees 114.1 (–)
Wilson 109.4 (107.8)
Wentz 109.2 (113.5)
Stafford 107.3 (106.1)
Cousins 106.3 (113.4)
Roethlisberger 103.4 (104.6)
Brady 102.7 (117.7)
Ryan 100.3 (117.5)
Rivers 99.7 (106.1)
Carr 99.5 (117.5)
Winston 95.4 (120.4)

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This system will never produce 250+ a game on a regular basis. It's not designed to with a NFL low 30 passes a game. You'd have to average 9.0+ YPA. That has never happened in NFL history. Romo hit 8.5 YPA in 2014, Dak 8.0 in 2016.

It's like expecting a NBA team to hit 75% on 3 pointers for a season

Asking a unit with 2 new OL starters, 5 new WRs, and 3 new TEs to achieve what has never been done is a bit crazy
They did in 2016.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Like I have said before, I like Dak and really hopes he succeeds. He has a 1 1/2 years to prove it. I don't care what he did is first year. This is what have you done for me lately league. Teams adjusted to him after his first year and now Dak has to adjust also. It could be him, the coaches, OL, Wrs, etc but he needs along with the whole team needs to play better and I think they will but time will tell or heads should roll. Just my 2 cents.
His first year he had a wall for an offensive line like Tom Brady has had all of his career, not to mention he had Dez & Witten. So now he has 2/3's of the offensive line that's playing bad, and none of Dez & Witten, so yeah you're right, he needs to play better (when) he has the same type team he had in 2016.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Pressured under 40% of drop backs, it's in a lot of articles. Not only are Alex Smith and Case Keenum(who both had great seasons last year) in that list but that list comprises all of the elite QBs in the game basically. Yes 40% is an arbitrary number I'm sure but a lot of stats choose arbitrary numbers. Whether you like it or not in games where Dak receives good pass protection he's had incredible numbers as good as anybody in the game. You act as if I'm claiming Dak is an elite QB and I'm not, what I'm saying is that he has a lot of good things about him which he should be able to build upon. He's still a very young QB and learning the game, it will slow down for him at some point. He will learn to read defenses better in time. There's still plenty of reason to think Prescott can develop into a franchise QB. A lot of you act like Prescott is absolute trash and is absolutely horrible which isn't true. Here's that list from the article you posted it's a whose who of elite QBs in the league from last year. Take these stats how you want, all stats can be interpreted however someone chooses. What I infer from this is if we give Prescott good pass protection he can win us a lot of games and get us where we want to go. I don't care if Prescott can carry a team on his own why would I want my QB to do that? All that means is we've built a **** team. Prescott absolutely needs to work on his game when he's under pressure. Nobody will debate that fact, it's the one part of his game that is really bad.
Passer ratings in low-pressure (< 40 percent) vs. high-pressure (≥ 40%)

Smith: 119.6 (94.5)
Prescott: 119.0 (74.0)
Goff 114.9 (90.2)
Keenum 114.2 (102.3)
Brees 114.1 (–)
Wilson 109.4 (107.8)
Wentz 109.2 (113.5)
Stafford 107.3 (106.1)
Cousins 106.3 (113.4)
Roethlisberger 103.4 (104.6)
Brady 102.7 (117.7)
Ryan 100.3 (117.5)
Rivers 99.7 (106.1)
Carr 99.5 (117.5)
Winston 95.4 (120.4)
Yea, so on this list....2 of the top 4 are bad quarterbacks. It means that the metrics to use the list are really, really flawed. It also doesn't account for, that I know of, time to release. Drew Brees doesn't have a rating where he's pressured more than 40% of the time, because he throws the ball so quickly. So guys like Prescott, Keenum, and Smith - who hold the ball longer than others - might get themselves out of that 40% category more often than others with the same quality line play.

Without knowing how many passes were thrown in these games, it's a pretty meaningless statistic. Without context in the other directions 30%, 50%, it's even less meaningless. B/c there's a chance that there was a game where Dak was pressured 41% of the time was horrible, or where Brady was great, and that would change the lineup completely.

I'm not arguing about Dak really, but the 40% thing is pointless.

CWR

Reaction score
Stats have a cool way of not caring about your feelings.

They can obviously be used to form arguments that go well beyond what they actually state but that's an issue with the presenter, not the stat.

As of this BYE week we've been told by at least half of cowboyszone Dak is simply a bad QB.

Stats suggest there are lots of myth's about this offense:

1st. DAL faces more 8 in box than anyone.

Ummm, nope. They actually don't. Less than 25% of the time is Zeke running into 8+ man boxes.

2nd. DAL has a dominant OL.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rboard-pass-block-win-rate-pass-rush-win-rate

Ummm, nope. Only Zack Martin rates top 10 at his position and as a group they are outside the top 10 in pass block win% as well as the Football Outsiders overall OL score.
This is a middle of the pack OL with lots of upside. CWill is improving and Fredbeard should be back next year. But they are the highest paid group in football history and this is not a dominant OL right now. Ol Coach should be on notice though it isn't his fault Travis has to miss the season or that we have a rookie LG.
Tyron and La'el are on him IMHO.

3rd: Dak is awful and we are losing because of him.

Dak's last 4 games performance has been graded in the top 10 at QB by passer rating yet team is only 2-2.

4th: WR is NOT a problem

DAL WRs are last in the NFL in yards of separation. That's an issue. Swain and Beasley are solid, everyone else falls off a cliff.
And while there's not stat for this the entire non-Beasley WR corps is from the TWill school of catching a football with your chest.
Amari Cooper is a possible answer and you can see why they BOLDLY traded for him. This team has done seemingly zero things bold since Stephen took over.

So Dak is the best?
Absolutely not.
He's a prototypical young QB. He's not getting to 3rd or 4th reads regularly and his pre-snap stuff is worth questioning. He is not good at all when pressure is near his feet. His footwork falls apart and his passing accuracy suffer big-time.
So what then he sucks right?
No. These are common issues especially with younger QBs.
You give him a chance to win if you are better along the OL and at WR.

Worth noting:
Tony Romo was really good.

But Dak actually rates even higher in TD/INT ratio.
He'd come in at 2.52 which would be good for 4th on this list all-time....

It is going to be interesting to review this ta the end of the year.
I wonder how many people will ignore better OL and WR play and simply credit Dak if his numbers improve?

Thanks for sharing this! As suspected its Dak haters parroting the same bs information with little regard for facts. Smh, Ive been critical of Dak at times as well, but Id like to think Im capable of stepping back and recognizing progress. He has been better the last few games. Its a shame people are so dug in they cant recognize a young qb making progress. I know he has a ways to go, but he's at least inspired confidence in me that hes capable of more.