Factual look at this offense and at Dak

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hey Jterrell

Still "the worlds biggest leap"?

Seems like my argument is bolstered. Next Gen even acknowledges that.

LOL
You are a complete dolt....
I said the leap was suggesting separation was the fault of the QB....
It's not.

Cowboys have people getting open and then they have people who are not.
They have people getting cushion i.e. guys who do not suck, and they have people who are NOT getting cushion, i.e. guys who do suck.

This has been broken down for you in bite sized detail but you are clueless.

Allen Hurns got more separation last year because he was considered WR2 or 3 in Jax not run out as WR1.
It is certainly not because people fear Blake Bortles more than Dak Prescott....

The next valid point you make will be your first so please forego @ing me and save us both the time.

I cant believe you are deranged enough to believe you have unearthed some great truth that proves the Cowboys WRs don't suck.
Newsflash dork, they do and all stats suggest exactly that.
Now take your focus meds and try reading this thread again and learning something.

Gator88

Reaction score
He's 22nd in attempts. If you're not throwing it a lot, how can you pile up yards? If your offense is predicated on the run and slowing the game down, this means you have way less offensive series.
This would make more sense if Dak wasn't 28th in yards per pass attempt.

Ken

Reaction score
Philly.gif

Dallas.gif

One offense is ours, the other is Phillys? Which is which?
I don't know...top could be ours with all of the te's or the bottom with the double curls...

Flamma

Reaction score
But Dak actually rates even higher in TD/INT ratio.
He'd come in at 2.52 which would be good for 4th on this list all-time....

It is going to be interesting to review this ta the end of the year.
I wonder how many people will ignore better OL and WR play and simply credit Dak if his numbers improve?

Someone once said there are three types of lies, lies, damn lies, and statistics. I'm not saying all statistics are faulty, but some are misleading. So Romo is 2.12 and Dak is 2.52, what is that really telling you? It's a statistic making one look better than the other, but it says nothing about how many risky passes Romo is more likely to make, and be rewarded as a result. Dak on the other hand won't take as many risks, won't be picked off as often, but won't put up big numbers either.

It will be interesting to see this QB with better WR and OL play. That should tell us all we need to know. But that also assumes the OC knows what he's doing.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You mean the o line wiping out 3 3rd down conversions last week and putting us in 3rd and 15s with one of the worst wr groups in the league. That's the reality. The people on this team getting paid aren't carrying their weight consistently.
Posters know this. They truly do. Some simply act dumb in order to support their hate. Very obvious. One can school them with videos, stats and professional commentary, but those posters still will not change their minds.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don't know...top could be ours with all of the te's or the bottom with the double curls...
One is just simple routes to a place that anyone can guess.
One forces adjustments by the D.

Maybe that's too dense.

Number1

Reaction score
Someone once said there are three types of lies, lies, damn lies, and statistics. I'm not saying all statistics are faulty, but some are misleading. So Romo is 2.12 and Dak is 2.52, what is that really telling you? It's a statistic making one look better than the other, but it says nothing about how many risky passes Romo is more likely to make, and be rewarded as a result. Dak on the other hand won't take as many risks, won't be picked off as often, but won't put up big numbers either.

It will be interesting to see this QB with better WR and OL play. That should tell us all we need to know. But that also assumes the OC knows what he's doing.

I hate to point this out but we've seen Dak with better WR and OL play" in 2016

Corso

Reaction score
No we didn't. We saw a shell of Dez (watch the All-22) and we saw a shell of Witten who was ridden to the very end.
The OL play was better and we saw a better Dak, but the receiver play was definitely not better.

People need to come to terms with Father Time and the Wear and Tear of the NFL and understand that players diminish over time.
Those guys (Witten and Dez) diminished.

And although I can say that Dak didn't help them through a graceful retirement period - it was a retirement period for them both.

This post will be ignored by the general populace because it certainly will be.
Arguments need to be made..

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ummm, nope. They actually don't. Less than 25% of the time is Zeke running into 8+ man boxes.

DAL WRs are last in the NFL in yards of separation. That's an issue. Swain and Beasley are solid, everyone else falls off a cliff.

Number of 8+ man boxes is not a meaningful statistic. It's the relative numbers of blockers vs. defenders, not the absolute numbers. If you've got a 3rd WR on the field, it takes a defender *and* a blocker out of the box.

Then again, when we pull our WRs to the end of the line to block, that pulls another defender into the box.

It's just not about the absolute number. For the most part, it's about where the safeties are playing.

Can't put the separation just on the wideouts. It depends on routes. It depends on how fast Dak gets them the ball after their breaks.

So many routes are "run straight downfield, turn around, stand there and wait for the ball". That's not going to get anyone separation, and the separation left will largely depend on how quickly Dak gets the ball out after the break. He has poor anticipation and is hesitant.

I'm a big fan of stats. But they're only a starting point. You have to use judgment on the validity of the stat both generally and specifically. 8 man boxes aren't a good stat generally, and separation isn't a good stat specifically for us.

Flamma

Reaction score

Better OL play, yes. But even I was surprised at the success we were having with our WRs. Dez and Witten were not the same players they were with Romo. They were past their prime. Even when Dez was injured for three games Dallas didn't skip a beat. Two past their prime players, Beasley, TWill, and Brice Butler.

Dallas should have paid LG Leary. He didn't get this huge contract. OL play is where the offense begins. If that breaks down it's hard to do anything on offense. Ask Andrew Luck.

Corso

Reaction score
Better OL play, yes. But even I was surprised at the success we were having with our WRs. Dez and Witten were not the same players they were with Romo. They were past their prime. Even when Dez was injured for three games Dallas didn't skip a beat. Two past their prime players, Beasley, TWill, and Brice Butler.

Dallas should have paid LG Leary. He didn't get this huge contract. OL play is where the offense begins. If that breaks down it's hard to do anything on offense. Ask Andrew Luck.
Absolutely. GREAT POST.

Corso

Reaction score
then top is clearly ours ha ha
Ouchie McGrouchy!

Tis true, mi amigo!

We run a window licker's offense.
JG and Linehan have the laziest jobs in the NFL.

I know... I have been close to that level of corporate shenanigans and it's the brilliant (and ruthless) that survive.

JG is only ruthless. And not on Gameday. Such a shame... At least be ruthless on Gameday...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Stats have a cool way of not caring about your feelings.

They can obviously be used to form arguments that go well beyond what they actually state but that's an issue with the presenter, not the stat.

As of this BYE week we've been told by at least half of cowboyszone Dak is simply a bad QB.

Stats suggest there are lots of myth's about this offense:

1st. DAL faces more 8 in box than anyone.

Ummm, nope. They actually don't. Less than 25% of the time is Zeke running into 8+ man boxes.

2nd. DAL has a dominant OL.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rboard-pass-block-win-rate-pass-rush-win-rate

Ummm, nope. Only Zack Martin rates top 10 at his position and as a group they are outside the top 10 in pass block win% as well as the Football Outsiders overall OL score.
This is a middle of the pack OL with lots of upside. CWill is improving and Fredbeard should be back next year. But they are the highest paid group in football history and this is not a dominant OL right now. Ol Coach should be on notice though it isn't his fault Travis has to miss the season or that we have a rookie LG.
Tyron and La'el are on him IMHO.

3rd: Dak is awful and we are losing because of him.

Dak's last 4 games performance has been graded in the top 10 at QB by passer rating yet team is only 2-2.

4th: WR is NOT a problem

DAL WRs are last in the NFL in yards of separation. That's an issue. Swain and Beasley are solid, everyone else falls off a cliff.
And while there's not stat for this the entire non-Beasley WR corps is from the TWill school of catching a football with your chest.
Amari Cooper is a possible answer and you can see why they BOLDLY traded for him. This team has done seemingly zero things bold since Stephen took over.

So Dak is the best?
Absolutely not.
He's a prototypical young QB. He's not getting to 3rd or 4th reads regularly and his pre-snap stuff is worth questioning. He is not good at all when pressure is near his feet. His footwork falls apart and his passing accuracy suffer big-time.
So what then he sucks right?
No. These are common issues especially with younger QBs.
You give him a chance to win if you are better along the OL and at WR.

Worth noting:
Tony Romo was really good.

But Dak actually rates even higher in TD/INT ratio.
He'd come in at 2.52 which would be good for 4th on this list all-time....

It is going to be interesting to review this ta the end of the year.
I wonder how many people will ignore better OL and WR play and simply credit Dak if his numbers improve?

Yah but if you cut out all his good games and only look at the losses where he was terrible, then he sucks. LOL

And by the way, did you see him throw that pass over the head of Beasley on Sunday? See, Dak sucks. LOL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's not overblown.. You know why? Because we aren't getting production in the pass game.

Aaron Rodgers is still producing.

Dak is just out there trying not to screw it up.

If Dak was sniffing 250-300 yards every week and a couple TD's it would be different.

LOL...………."Aaron Rogers is still producing" LOL

Too funny.