CFZ False Achievement Syndrome

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not doing anything of the sort. What's failing this team is coaching, good coaching.
Your opinion and one I do not share.

Did you happen to hear McC say he had 0 involvement in the game plan or calling in the playoff game? Ever heard anything like that before? I haven't. Why would he say that? Think he stayed out of it on his own or was told to?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parcells disrespected TO from day 1. It was wrong abd I bet Parcells would agree that he was wrong. And if you notice TO still to this day has respect for Bill even after that. He never really speaks bad of Bill. It was childish
Have you ever heard Parcells ex players talk about how he handled them? Like Simms and some of the others?

Right or wrong, Parcells way was the same way with every player and it was all about keeping him in the team arena. He inherited a player that had been fired from two teams for disrespecting coaches, did you expect him to welcome a player like that with open arms?

I think the one that made the mistake in that was Booger, taking him to breakfast and giving him a voice to further enable his behavior. Only the money and one year deals kept him in check.

I think Parcells was the exact kind of coach/man that Owens needed to grow up and match that incredible talent he had. I think what Owens grew to realize was that it wasn't personal to Parcells, he wasn't doing anything to Owens but trying to do something for his team. He was always team focused.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That begins when some become Cowboys.

When the Niners won their first one, DeBartolo built a brand new state-of-the art facility. Booger did that before they accomplished anything. Reward it forward.

The stadium and The Star? A better team deserves that.
really adding more nonsense to a to nonsensical rant vent thread,

"Jerrys alone in this " using one example the old 9ers team.

So, ALL teams only build new stadiums after a significant win like a SB?..thats odd Texans didn't, falcons didnt, rams got theirs early, i mean they won it in the new one but oops jumped the gun,,new stadiums built all the time for different reasons and IMHO the old stadium was old, hard to get in and out of, parking and traffic wise and it was 100% time for new one..

I mean the rangers got a new one they have had many new Gms and coaches and make changes lie normal franchises yet have won diddly squat, now have super sweet new indoor stadium to LOSE IN..
but sure jerrys the one and only owner who builds new things without waiting on big wins..lamo you need to stop.just stop this isn't a jerry thing

once again jerry has 3 of his own SB championships since hes come to Big SD the mavs, rangers and stars have TWO all together and you think the rewards from media and fans are false. Its not hard to tell why football and the Cowboys are still king around herb.

Drought or not, we are still far more popular because we have 3 rings and are still winning in the top 10 regardless of failure in the payoffs of late, we have star power in talent..

Has zero to do with Jerry asking for it like hes in control of an entire DFW market that somehow then controls the National market which somehow forces the League to be blind and give us the prime-time spots..its odd all those entity's have been correct the ratings are tops for just about every game therefore the payoff is big,

If the small % of you were correct and jerrys a blundering fool and the Cowboys are no longer relative and this is all a house of cards , wouldn't the league punish jerry for it? wouldn't the markets black out games, wouldn't the stadium be empty and force a big move ala lets see selling the team and immediately winning Superbowl's

oh wait that was the old regime that had to sell and gave this to jerry only to have Jerry win more Superbowls in the first 5 years then they did in 30 and really after 35 its still a big deal.

so building a new stadium wasn't earned after going to 3 Superbowl's in 4 years and 4 straight NFCCGs? pretty sure it was...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Have you ever heard Parcells ex players talk about how he handled them? Like Simms and some of the others?

Right or wrong, Parcells way was the same way with every player and it was all about keeping him in the team arena. He inherited a player that had been fired from two teams for disrespecting coaches, did you expect him to welcome a player like that with open arms?

I think the one that made the mistake in that was Booger, taking him to breakfast and giving him a voice to further enable his behavior. Only the money and one year deals kept him in check.

I think Parcells was the exact kind of coach/man that Owens needed to grow up and match that incredible talent he had. I think what Owens grew to realize was that it wasn't personal to Parcells, he wasn't doing anything to Owens but trying to do something for his team. He was always team focused.
right Lawarence Taylor was a saint..lmao he sure showed him sat him down and didnt play him all the way to the HOF..wht did he do with the throw me the damn ball book writer, nothing. He didnt, NOT treat everyone the same everyone's not the same coaches learn that a long time ago, they know who butters their bread..get out of here with that nonsense.

Jimmy didnt either white house come to mind there were some Stars who had big issue that were NOT disciplined AT ALL

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny how the entire nfl laughed at Jerry for hiring jimmy. But Jerry gets no credit for hiring him. Jimmy thrived with Jerry's money. How did Jimmy do inMiami? That just showed you that you can't have success without a owner who doesn't give you the resources.
Not all, Johnson was actually on the radar of a few teams. What made the deal work for him was that he wanted control of the team and Booger needed someone to do that because he was a first time GM and had to try and fix the bleeding.

What the Johnson fans need to accept was that he had a lot of luck on his side in building that team. The Walker trade was only part of it. How many guys were going to use a 1st round supplemental pick on a QB after spending the 1st round pick on one. And have that work out with another trade? He misses out on James Francis and ends up with the leading rusher in NFL history.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
really adding more nonsense to a to nonsensical rant vent thread,

"Jerrys alone in this " using one example the old 9ers team.

So, ALL teams only build new stadiums after a significant win like a SB?..thats odd Texans didn't, falcons didnt, rams got theirs early, i mean they won it in the new one but oops jumped the gun,,new stadiums built all the time for different reasons and IMHO the old stadium was old, hard to get in and out of, parking and traffic wise and it was 100% time for new one..

I mean the rangers got a new one they have had many new Gms and coaches and make changes lie normal franchises yet have won diddly squat, now have super sweet new indoor stadium to LOSE IN..
but sure jerrys the one and only owner who builds new things without waiting on big wins..lamo you need to stop.just stop this isn't a jerry thing

once again jerry has 3 of his own SB championships since hes come to Big SD the mavs, rangers and stars have TWO all together and you think the rewards from media and fans are false. Its not hard to tell why football and the Cowboys are still king around herb.

Drought or not, we are still far more popular because we have 3 rings and are still winning in the top 10 regardless of failure in the payoffs of late, we have star power in talent..

Has zero to do with Jerry asking for it like hes in control of an entire DFW market that somehow then controls the National market which somehow forces the League to be blind and give us the prime-time spots..its odd all those entity's have been correct the ratings are tops for just about every game therefore the payoff is big,

If the small % of you were correct and jerrys a blundering fool and the Cowboys are no longer relative and this is all a house of cards , wouldn't the league punish jerry for it? wouldn't the markets black out games, wouldn't the stadium be empty and force a big move ala lets see selling the team and immediately winning Superbowl's

oh wait that was the old regime that had to sell and gave this to jerry only to have Jerry win more Superbowls in the first 5 years then they did in 30 and really after 35 its still a big deal.

so building a new stadium wasn't earned after going to 3 Superbowl's in 4 years and 4 straight NFCCGs? pretty sure it was...
Your last sentence. Then why did he hire Parcells and acquiesce control of the coaches and players to him?

And you seem to be doing more ranting than I am, I am just pointing out my observations and using my shift key better than you are.

Creeper

Reaction score
I read a lot of comments about Jerry and his ego, and Jerry and his motives. I have no idea what drives Jerry, or how he thinks about the Cowboys.

What I do know is sometimes even people with the very best intentions just do not have the competence to succeed. Jerry may be great at business, but he has not been able to use those skills to build a winning football team without the help of Jimmy Johnson. Perhaps Jerry tries really hard but he is just no a competent football guy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
right Lawarence Taylor was a saint..lmao he sure showed him sat him down and didnt play him all the way to the HOF..wht did he do with the throw me the damn ball book writer, nothing. He didnt, NOT treat everyone the same everyone's not the same coaches learn that a long time ago, they know who butters their bread..get out of here with that nonsense.

Jimmy didnt either white house come to mind there were some Stars who had big issue that were NOT disciplined AT ALL
You confuse team and extracurricular activities with both Parcells and Johnson. Their concern was for them being available to play.

Lawrence Taylor was not a problem on the team, Owens was on two different teams and for the very same thing. If you think any HC is going to sit still for a player disrespecting a coach in front of the team, you never played ball. In that regard, football reflects the military.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
We see this in action in every walk of life and in sports and it is not better represented than by the Dallas Cowboys.

No NFL market gives more exposure to its NFL team than DFW, not even close. And this has been in place for a long time, well before the present ownership. This is only compounded by the national exposure enabling the owner to feed his insatiable ego and need for celebrity status.

The problem is two-fold. First, he wants to please his ego by making himself the face and voice of the team but the second one is the real achievement stopper. He allows his ego to extend to his players because he chose them, they are his and they must be better than the others just because they are his. He actually thinks every player wants to be a Cowboy but worse, thinks that's because of him.

What else explains the slow starts in playoff games? They think they've already arrived. All they have to do is show up. And this isn't just in the last one, it is in almost every one of them since Phillips took over.

The problem, and I do not see this changing until there is a GM change, is that the owner will not allow the HC to do his job. He even did it to Parcells with Owens. Parcells didn't want the #1 coach killer in the league and tried his tough love approach with "the player" only to have the owner double down and take him to breakfast every week to soothe his bruised ego. That same ego that had him on his third team because he couldn't get along with authority figures.

You can see FAS with the players. We saw that with Lawrence creating a nickname for a very mediocre DL, that's promotion. That's right down the owner's sweet spot. Promote it and sell it before it really exists.

And that's not the real problem, the real one is that he infects his players with it and does not allow the one entity that can keep that in check any real power.

The bucks start with the owner but the buck does not stop with the HC.

False Achievement Syndrome is simply they're just happy to be Cowboys.
wow, how original

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read a lot of comments about Jerry and his ego, and Jerry and his motives. I have no idea what drives Jerry, or how he thinks about the Cowboys.

What I do know is sometimes even people with the very best intentions just do not have the competence to succeed. Jerry may be great at business, but he has not been able to use those skills to build a winning football team without the help of Jimmy Johnson. Perhaps Jerry tries really hard but he is just no a competent football guy.
I don't think Jobs, Gates, Einstein or Hawking would be great GM's.

If anyone would have ever hired him, he would not have lasted. He only got the job by buying the team.

Booger sought out Crazy Al as his mentor but he didn't learn one of the most valuable lessons, let the ones you hire do their jobs. Al didn't get involved with his coaches until Kiffin called him out over the Russell pick, which he was dead on about. But still, that was his boss. And he royally pissed him off.

I think the real problem between Booger and Johnson is that he didn't respect his boss. Why in the hell embarrass him in front of others knowing his ego? Unless that fit his plan to get out of his deal with some money?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You are aware that Booger admitted to getting the game plan for approval each week? Do you think that is part of a GM's normal duties each week?

McVay went to Snead when he wanted to change from Goff to Stafford. He doesn't send the game plan to Snead for his approval, that's what he hired Mcvay for.

In any successful organization, every person in management must be accountable and responsible for their assignments. Every management job I ever had, I had total control and responsibility for what I had to do. That is the only way it works. Here's the rope, swing on it or by it.

Why do you think Booger kept Garrett for 10 years? Because he was more involved in the top level coaching decisions so how can he hold him accountable.
Do I believe Jerry approves the game plan? Sure. But let’s be real here he probably ok’s any and everything that comes his way. He’s not a coach he has no idea how to perform coaching duties….

Garrett stayed here 10 years because he liked him and he really thought he was his next Jimmy. He was wrong.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Then your misinformed. I guess you don’t want to believe .

But our owner has undermined our coaching staff . And not just this staff. It’s not in all facets but enough.
I’ve never heard a ex player or ex coach come out and say this so where are you getting your information?

slick325

Reaction score
I respect your point of view, but I'd add that it's got to be quite difficult to motivate a group that knows you're not the man in charge.

It's something that needs to be overcome for us to have success, and we haven't been able to. There's definitely something to it. We aren't talking about a small sample size. Far from it.

All Jerry needs to do is make it clear that MM is the man, and act that way.....but it ain't gonna happen.

Jerry makes it abundantly clear that HE is the man, then asks another person to go make a baby without having testicles.

Then blames him when he can't. Then tries again. Then tells the fans this is some sort of advantage.

Unfortunately, the culture at the Star is set by Jerry and Stephen Jones. Not the HC. It has been that way for the greater part of 26 years. Many coaches and players have come and gone...yet the results are the same. The only consistent factor is the GM and VP.

That is not a fan cop out...that is fact.

terra

Reaction score
Do I believe Jerry approves the game plan? Sure. But let’s be real here he probably ok’s any and everything that comes his way. He’s not a coach he has no idea how to perform coaching duties….

Garrett stayed here 10 years because he liked him and he really thought he was his next Jimmy. He was wrong.
Garrett stayed as long as he did because Jerry did not want to admit his mistake. Until he really had no choice. If you remember when Garrett was let go Jerry was apparently still wanting him to stay and it was pretty much everyone else wanting him to go.

terra

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the culture at the Star is set by Jerry and Stephen Jones. Not the HC. It has been that way for the greater part of 26 years. Many coaches and players have come and gone...yet the results are the same. The only consistent factor is the GM and VP.

That is not a fan cop out...that is fact.
Everyone of Jerry's apologists keep pointing to the rings. I say that was a quarter century ago and we have NEVER come close again. How long do you gomers hold onto that?
as is so obvious, the one constant in the last 26 years is Jerry Jones. How stupid do you have to be to not connect the dots?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Funny how the entire nfl laughed at Jerry for hiring jimmy. But Jerry gets no credit for hiring him. Jimmy thrived with Jerry's money. How did Jimmy do inMiami? That just showed you that you can't have success without a owner who doesn't give you the resources.
Of course Jethro gets credit for hiring Jimmy. That’s exactly what I did. And he gets the blame for the rest of it too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not sure his son doesn't have the bug too. The only thing keeping him from the spotlight is his old man.

And I am not sure that once Booger is gone and he is in charge, we won't lament Booger's passing a hell of a lot more.
I think his siblings will have something to say about assuming they are equal partners.

Brax

Reaction score
Outplayed Garrappollo. 280 yards and 2 TD's.

Better than the horrid Zeke at 12 carries for 36 yards and no TD's.
Who got the W? A banner day LOL. 4.7 yds LMAO
Passing 172 230
Comp-Att 16-25 24-44
Yards per pass 6.9 4.7
Interceptions thrown 1 1
Sacks-Yards Lost 0-0 5-40