Fans have a short memory - Tony Romo 2014 **merged**

lqmac1

Reaction score

Not sure how anyone could possibly compare Romo to Prescott. It's night and day right now. Will this kid continue to improve? Absolutely. Is he at Romo's level? Not even close. When Romo returns, the offense will open up, we'll be able to pass down field, and Elliott's production will increase even more.

Stunning how short people's memory's are and the media certainly doesn't want to help.

I was thinking the same thing as you. Can you imagine the holes for Zeke when Romo returns? Teams right now aren't really taking Dez too serious, but he's a completely different animal with Romo .

Romo makes Dez elite. If teams want to stack the box with Romo, Dez will eat them alive. With Romo, we are a legit Super Bowl contender

ksadler1

Reaction score
As a player? They actually are really close.

As on the teams theyve been on and their he's? No, not I'm the same universe

I don't think Romo was ever comparable to Brady, but I do agree as far as teams and coaching. Even Brady could not have done much better with Romo's teams. But that's all on Jerry. He pissed Romo's career away but it may not be too late for Witten with Dak in there.....

2much2soon

Reaction score
Let's be honest here. What have Romo really done for this franchise? Nothing but a couple of playoff wins. Why is everyone hyping this guy or situation like it's Joe Montana/Steve Young? If we had some rings or heck consistent playoff berths with Romo under center then I can understand the loyalty.

That is kind of where I have always been on Romo.

He had some spectacular seasons, stat-wise, and some crazy, nearly unparalleled comebacks in a ton of games.

But one thing I found interesting as I thought about Romo and Dak recently; remember all the times (it seemed like 2-3 a game) where Romo was grabbing a WR/TE/RB and explaining something to him?
Why was that? Were Romo's teams lacking focus?
I haven't noticed this with Dak. It is probably too soon to speculate, but my early speculation is that this current team is way more focused on the field than we have seen in years.

Or maybe Romo was the one making the mistake more often than thought and was sometimes in the wrong when he pulled receivers aside after a play? I doubt we will ever know that.

Romo hasn't had great teams every year he has been in Dallas, but the years he made the playoffs something always happened to derail them. His fumbled snap against Seattle, the bye-week trip to Mexico, the Dez non-catch.

The only constant is Romo.

I guess I am a little suspicious of him as a field general that can run a team the way it has to be run to be a consistent contender.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Well truth be told the games Romo did play last year he didn't exactly set the world on fire. 5 TDs/ 7 Ints, And if memory serves correct we should have lost opener against the Giants if not for their last minute blunder.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
I think people are missing the bigger picture when they talk about who is better QB overall today. It's about not slowing down or stopping the progress of a rookie who already looks amazing and who has built so much chemistry with the tream, right now.

The future with Dak is far more important than finishing this one with Romo.

Damn...when did your mentality change? You were the biggest Romo cheerleader.

I agree. Well put.

Gabe

Reaction score
Romo last season 5 TD 7 INT. More washed up and wrinkled Romo ??? Chances are not good.

rpntex

Reaction score
This was Romo in 2014. Not today.

And Prescott does things Romo never was able to do. He throws better screens and has the ability to do the Qb Option.

Sure Romo has some things Prescott cant do right now. But first that was in 2014 right now Romo is not this player anymore.Second Prescott is the future why pull him if he is already playing on this level ? I dont see a big dropoff production wise of our offense between those two QBs.

The fact is we don't know which Romo we're going to get. Not one of us can say that he won't be every bit as good as he was in '14, nor can anyone of us know that he won't. If he comes back fully healthy, it gives the offense an entirely different dimension because he's so accompilshed at reading defenses. Dak has been great - much better than anyone expected - but there are certain things in a QB's game that only develop through experience, regardless of how much talent he possesses.

Will Romo be "2014-effective"/? There is only one way to find out. If it means we take one on the chin for the sake of getting even better, it will be worth it.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Tony Romo has never gone 5 straight games without an interception. The most he's ever gone without an INT is 3 games. Dak has already done that in his first five games of his career. And I submit that if Romo comes back in to start it will hurt the running game. EE is already on pace for nearly 1,800 yards rushing with no Dez and having some struggles in learning the zone blocking scheme in the first 2 games. If you don't think that Dak, who can bootleg well and can do read-option well isn't playing a role in that you're completely missing the point.

The 60-yard TD run by EE was a perfect illustration. We were gashing the Bengals with outside zone runs and bootlegs. Cincy thought we were going either stretch run left or bootleg right. The D-Line crashed hard to the left to take the run and Carlos Dunlap contained Dak due to the threat of the bootleg. This left it wide open to run a trap and EE had an Alaskan summer's day worth of daylight to run.

Then you take into consideration the condition that Romo will be in when he comes back and he usually has had to knock off the rust when he comes back from injury...at this point I have zero interest in Romo returning as the starter. Perhaps that changes as we face the Packers, Eagles and Vikings. But at the rate things are going, it would be one of the dumbest decisions in years the Cowboys have made by benching him for Romo. And I would be embarrassed as a fan to see it.

YR

rpntex

Reaction score
What happened in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2015? Why should 2014 and only 2014 be looked at to say Romo should get his job back? Romo has had a decade and we have nothing to show for it. He cannot see the field unless Dak faulters. Period! Anything else would simply be insane and would risk throwing the season away and fracturing the lockeroom. Nobody expected Dak to play this well but here we are. You don't bench a winning QB for an over the hill inconsistent QB who has never led the team to anything!

Well, 2011 and 2015 he was out for 10 and 12 games, respectively. You won't win many games playing from the sideline.

From '11-13 Romo was the only reason the Cowboys were 8-8 rather than 5-11 - or worse.

mrmojo

Reaction score
It's a "What have you done for me lately league", in football years 2014 is a long time ago. I'd go with Dak but I know the loyalty of the FO is going to give Romo every opportunity, even if we are 6-1 at the time he is deemed healthy by Jerry.

coult44

Reaction score

Not sure how anyone could possibly compare Romo to Prescott. It's night and day right now. Will this kid continue to improve? Absolutely. Is he at Romo's level? Not even close. When Romo returns, the offense will open up, we'll be able to pass down field, and Elliott's production will increase even more.

Stunning how short people's memory's are and the media certainly doesn't want to help.

Here's the thing. I don't care if Dak is at Romo's level. I don't care if Tony is 20X better than Dak. I only care about one thing. WINNING.

I haven't forgot how good Romo was. I only know Dak has the team off to a 4-1 record, and 1 point and a dumb Williams play away from being 5-0. Whyyyyyyy do you people care about anything else?? Agenda driven people kill me.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Here's the thing. I don't care if Dak is at Romo's level. I don't care if Tony is 20X better than Dak. I only care about one thing. WINNING.

I haven't forgot how good Romo was. I only know Dak has the team off to a 4-1 record, and 1 point and a dumb Williams play away from being 5-0. Whyyyyyyy do you people care about anything else?? Agenda driven people kill me.

Loyalty to Tony for all he's done for the organization is the only thing I can think of.[/QUOTE]