Favorite "Underrated" Movies

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Danny White;1286504 said:
Is "Boondock Saints" really that good?

I've heard a lot of people mention it, and I gotta tell you, reading the description of it on Netflix, it sounds pretty bad.

I'm curious why so many people like it... maybe this is just a bad description for the movie.
That movie tag almost sounds like it's a comedy. It's got its moments, but not a comedy.

I loved it because it has you rooting for these Irish guys who are flat out murdering people. At the end it makes you question why you empathized with them.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Faerluna;1287246 said:
I loved him in Parenthood and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. ("Ruprecht, do you want the genital cuff?" :D )

3 Amigos also forgotten... for shame:nono:

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to mention Planes, Trains and Autos as well as Dirty Rotten. Three Amigos is also strong, although all three of those movies are ensemble gigs.

The big thing is that it used to be that, even if the movie wasn't that good, he was good in it. Like Roxanne or Father of the Bride. Those are both average movies where he was still funny. But now, it's just embarrasing.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jem88;1287041 said:
So much better than Crash and Munich and any number of other, more highly-publicized, movies.

Crash sucked. Totally obvious, cliche, etc. I really hated that so much.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone has probably already mentioned it but I find the movie Serenity a nice surprise. I never watched the show firefly so I did not know if it would be any good...kind of thought it would not be but I liked the movie.

You have to be a sci-fi junkie of sorts before you would like it.

Another movie is Glory Road about a basketball team...I found it very good.

And one of my personal faves, mostly because I like guitar...Crossroads...Ralph Machio, Joe Seneca and Steve Vai at the very end. I only give the cast because there is some chick flick with the same name.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1287993 said:
Someone has probably already mentioned it but I find the movie Serenity a nice surprise. I never watched the show firefly so I did not know if it would be any good...kind of thought it would not be but I liked the movie.

You have to be a sci-fi junkie of sorts before you would like it.

I saw Serenity in the theaters, and initially i thought the acting was very corny.

But I've seen it a couple times since, and it's grown on me for the sci-fi elements and the story.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I generally watch movies not good enough to garner the 20 bucks at the theater on netflix and mix in older movies like cool hand luke i want to burn to dvd.

one of the nice things about netflix is you can also order shows like the sopranos and watch 3 or 4 episodes per disk. gonna do that with the showtime shows since i do not subscribe to that channel.

there were a zillion suggestions in thread and I missed some of them but i'd suggest fort apache the bronx and serpico.

jem88

Reaction score
abersonc;1287664 said:
Crash sucked. Totally obvious, cliche, etc. I really hated that so much.
Yeah, I actively disliked that movie.

Amores Perros is another good one.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Wedding Crashers for sure.
I think it is the best comedy of all time:)

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
jterrell;1288277 said:
Wedding Crashers for sure.
I think it is the best comedy of all time:)

That movie was hilarious....:laugh2:

Smith22

Reaction score
The Shawshank Redemption
Mystic River

The Bone Collector

Seven

Man on Fire

Lost Boys
Fallen
Hotel Rwanda
True Romance
Million Dollar Baby
Glory
Young Guns
Con Air
Kiss of Death
Raising Arizona

Smith22

Reaction score
Yeah, wedding crashers and true romance were pretty good.

Also liked Heat, although it is a bit long...

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The Incredibles, Deer Hunter, Office Space, The Arrival, Orange County, Three Amigos, Wild Things, Color of Money

Wedding Crashers was ok, definately not the best comedy of all time. That has to be Tommy Boy.

I agree with abersonc, Crash sucked.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jem88;1289065 said:
...and with Jem88!

Yet another movie I thought was not as good as many made it out to be.

You know what I think happens, at least with me, is you hear so much about a movie and how good it is that your expectations rarely match the end product.

Very few times have I heard people really rave about a movie and I went in and thought it was even better than I imagined.

I think that is why I liked movies that I just don't think will be very good, because my expectations are so low that the movie exceeds them.

For example...the movie Dodgeball.

Not a cinematic masterpiece by any stretch.

But I remember seeing the previews about it and thinking it would just be horrible.

I have watched it so many times now and still love it....Rip Torns character just kills me.

jem88

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1289122 said:
Yet another movie I thought was not as good as many made it out to be.

You know what I think happens, at least with me, is you hear so much about a movie and how good it is that your expectations rarely match the end product.

Very few times have I heard people really rave about a movie and I went in and thought it was even better than I imagined.

I think that is why I liked movies that I just don't think will be very good, because my expectations are so low that the movie exceeds them.

For example...the movie Dodgeball.

Not a cinematic masterpiece by any stretch.

But I remember seeing the previews about it and thinking it would just be horrible.

I have watched it so many times now and still love it....Rip Torns character just kills me.
I agree with you. However in the case of Crash, I thought it was simply a bad movie. The car-burning scene was ludicrous, a desperate attempt to manufacture poignancy.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Smith22;1288679 said:
The Shawshank Redemption
Mystic River

The Bone Collector

Seven

Man on Fire

Lost Boys
Fallen
Hotel Rwanda
True Romance
Million Dollar Baby
Glory
Young Guns
Con Air
Kiss of Death
Raising Arizona

:mad:

Ok, I agree with almost every one of your selections here, but Con Air? C'mon...

That is arguably the worst movie I've ever seen. It's not even a case of Cage's horrid acting ruining a well written and directed movie...its awful all the way around. Eeesh... thinking of that terrible southern accent he attempts to use in that movie makes me mad. "Put down the bunny." blah blah blah..."I told ya to put the bunny down!" ...and how long does it really take a midsize plane to come to a stop when it lands in the middle of one the busiest strips on the planet? I do feel safer though, knowing that planes are built so structurally sound that they can hit nine or ten buildings and keep going. That movie is an affront to all movie lovers everywhere.

No offense to you, but that movie belongs no where on that list. Nor does any other Cage movie other than Raising Arizona.

IMO. :)

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Smith22;1288679 said:
The Shawshank Redemption
Mystic River

The Bone Collector
Seven
Man on Fire

Lost Boys
Fallen
Hotel Rwanda
True Romance
Million Dollar Baby
Glory
Young Guns
Con Air
Kiss of Death
Raising Arizona

Half the movies on your list are either Oscar noms, or out right Oscar winners. How's that "underrated"?