Favorite "Underrated" Movies

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
blindzebra;1298109 said:
Saw Bubba Ho-Tep on IFC...Bruce Campbell as Elvis in a nursing home terrorized by a soul sucking mummy...the King taking care of business, thank you, thank you very much.

I really need to get that movie.

Loved Campbell in the Evil Dead movies and this one just sounds like it would be funny, even if it is in a cheesy campy sort of way.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White;1299712 said:
I know, most people think it's his worst, but it's far and away my favorite movie of his.

Of course, I used to go to the mall alot when I was a kid, so I think I found it much more identifiable than the others.

Also, I don't like the mopey guy that played Gil in Clerks, or Ben Affleck in Chasing Amy... but Jason Lee in Mallrats was superb.

Also, I think the whole "Jay and Silent Bob" routine was at its best in Mallrats.

And last but not least... Joey Lauren Adams' dressing room shot! :p:

I liked mallrats as well...mostly because of the jay and silent bob scenes.

Liked the Jay and Silent bob movie...that one makes me laugh every time.

I never have seen chasing amy or clerks...well I seen the first few minutes of clerks once but than had to do something so never seen anything beyond that.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1299785 said:
I really need to get that movie.

Loved Campbell in the Evil Dead movies and this one just sounds like it would be funny, even if it is in a cheesy campy sort of way.

I heard good things about it too, and I saw it in the $5 bargain bin at Wal Mart so I bought it.

I have to say I was disappointed. It had its moments, but it's definitely a movie that I will not watch a second time.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Real Genius
PCU
Better Off Dead
Real Men
Falling Down
The Goonies
Employee of the Month (Matt Dillon one, not Jessica Simpson)
The Outsiders
Snatch
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Searching For Bobby Fischer
Trainspotting
Layer Cake
Crank
Lord of War
28 Days Later
Pay it Forward

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
Smith22;1296905 said:
Hated that movie.

And your point is .....? I find movies like Mallrats, Clerks, Jethro and FUBAR go to Dairy Queen (or whatever in the he11 it's called),or Kill Bill (what IS the fascination, people?) to be suitable viewing for mostly potheads and slackers.

Get a grip.:rolleyes:

Smith22

Reaction score
MichellesMan;1304774 said:
And your point is .....? I find movies like Mallrats, Clerks, Jethro and FUBAR go to Dairy Queen (or whatever in the he11 it's called),or Kill Bill (what IS the fascination, people?) to be suitable viewing for mostly potheads and slackers.

Get a grip.:rolleyes:

Was just saying I couldn't stand that movie, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I didn't even quote your post if you noticed.

BTW, of the movies you listed, I've only seen Kill Bill, it seemed ok.

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
Smith22;1304780 said:
Was just saying I couldn't stand that movie, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I didn't even quote your post if you noticed.

BTW, of the movies you listed, I've only seen Kill Bill, it seemed ok.

My apologies. I wasn't singling you out in particular. I just get disgusted with the highbrow sorts who are only into certain directors or producers. Can't you just enjoy a movie for its content and the way it makes you feel? Or how about the message the movie contains?

I'm sorry you didn't like The Replacements. I found it entertaining and amusing. Keanu Reeves did a great job. And if you really want to see something interesting, rent the DVD and check out the special features. Especially the making of The Replacements segment. When I saw the movie for the 1st time, I thought it was Hollywood's spin on pro ball. Not so. The director played college and pro ball, plus brought in guys who had similar experience levels. In that same clip, they talk about Reeves learning to run plays in real time. He said he got hurt a lot, but once he figured it out, he was good enough that the Ravens wanted to try him out. BTW, the scenes for the Dallas game were shot at halftime of a Ravens home game.

Again, I didn't mean to jump on you. Chalk it up to the lateness of the hour (for me , at least). Have a good one.

Smith22

Reaction score
No problem. I know plenty of people that like that movie, it just didn't sit well with me for some reason. I'm usually big on sports movies also.

jem88

Reaction score
Saw Volver tonight. Excellent movie, and man does Penelope Cruz look good in it (not usually a big fan of hers.)

Smith22

Reaction score
jem88;1304846 said:
Saw Volver tonight. Excellent movie, and man does Penelope Cruz look good in it (not usually a big fan of hers.)

What is that about? Never heard of it. Newer movie?

jem88

Reaction score
Smith22;1304850 said:
What is that about? Never heard of it. Newer movie?
It's a Spanish movie by Pedro Almodovar. I'm not usually a huge fan of his (Talk To Her was pretty good; All About My Mother was overrated,) but this one was really good. I can't really tell much without giving away key plot points. However, if you have no problems with sub-titles (or understand Spanish,) then I definately recommend it.

Smith22

Reaction score
jem88;1304857 said:
It's a Spanish movie by Pedro Almodovar. I'm not usually a huge fan of his (Talk To Her was pretty good; All About My Mother was overrated,) but this one was really good. I can't really tell much without giving away key plot points. However, if you have no problems with sub-titles (or understand Spanish,) then I definately recommend it.

I looked it up on IMDB. Reviews gave it 7.8 out of 10.

Subtitles are fine.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Office space
Just friends
Waiting

If you feel like laughing your arse off...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
ZeroClub;1266284 said:
I'll second Shaun of the Dead (I haven't seen any of the others on Brain P's list).

I liked the following. Your mileage may vary.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Matador

The World's Fastest Indian

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
I finally got around to watching Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night.

I really liked it and I never would have watched it without this recommendation... so thanks!

It was a very unorthodox movie, but I found it hilarious. It was filled with very subtle, ironic (almost unintentional) humor... which I love. It was funny in the way that The Office is funny. If you're not paying attention, you'd miss it, but if you catch it it's very rewarding.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Danny White;1532544 said:
I finally got around to watching Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night.

I really liked it and I never would have watched it without this recommendation... so thanks!

It was a very unorthodox movie, but I found it hilarious. It was filled with very subtle, ironic (almost unintentional) humor... which I love. It was funny in the way that The Office is funny. If you're not paying attention, you'd miss it, but if you catch it it's very rewarding.

Way to dig up an old thread. :laugh2:

This was a surprisingly good movie. I saw the trailer a couple of times but thought nothing of it. My wife and I later rented it at Blockbuster and found it hilarious! Very quirky style, but never boring.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Going over the list (first I've seen of this), there's several I'd recommend that are already listed, but Shaun of the Dead is one I'll mention anyways - very funny. Hot Fuzz, which I think is still in theaters, is in the same mold with many of the same actors in it - just switch spoofing zombie movies for cop movies. Best comedy I've seen in theaters in quite a while.

Nine Queens is an Argentinian movie (Spanish subtitles), but it's very good. Not an "artsy" type foreign film - it's a very well written Ocean's Eleven/caper/con artist type movie involving the Nine Queens, a very rare and very valuable set of stamps. Lots of plot twists & turns and a great ending.

Boondock Saints is another movie I'd highly recommend, more in the vein of Tarantino/Guy Ritchie crime movies, about two Irish brothers who get involved with the Russian mob and decide to clean the streets of Boston. Great supporting role by Willem Dafoe.

If you love shoot-em-up action movies, and you haven't watched some of John Wu's Hong Kong stuff with Chow Yun Fat - watch them. Hard Boiled, The Killer, and A Better Tomorrow are all good fun.

I thought Slither last year was a gross-out, but very funny low budget horror-comedy that slid under the radar and did terrible at the box office, but I thought it was much better than the typical teen horror crap that Hollywood releases 50 times a year.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
TRMM is the Boondock Saints based off the book by the same name?