Signed by Cowboys FB Olawale traded to Cowboys **merged**

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody keeps 2 FBs... but we traded for a guy that was going to be released and nobody was going to claim of waivers.

you don't know if he was not going to be claimed or not. This is exactly the type of player NE or GB would pick up.

mardwin

Reaction score
you don't know if he was not going to be claimed or not. This is exactly the type of player NE or GB would pick up.

Doubt it... NE has too many similar runningbacks they normally draft them or pick him up from practice squad, raw players that they can mold.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If you look at the overall snap Smith would contribute to special teams vs the very limited snaps where we use a FB, it would argue that Smith is the more impact player.

Also, Dallas offered Smith a multi-year deal, so we know this was not an intentional plan.

It a FB, so I really don't care that much. This is just my view of what happened.

Olawale also is a core special-teammer. We're not losing anything with him. We're gaining a player who can contribute more.

Here's from when Olawale re-signed with the Raiders in 2015:

The Oakland Raiders handed a big contract out to their big-bodied power blocker.

That's not all Jamize Olawale does, though. And that's why the 6-foot-1, 240-pound fullback scored a new three-year deal.

"He's a guy that can play a lot of different roles," head coach Jack Del Rio told reporters. "He's got special-teams value. He's got value as a blocker and he can also catch the ball out of the backfield or carry the ball."

Patrick

Reaction score
Complaining about a player that hasn't even been used in OUR system yet, Olawale & Smith are different fullbacks. Who knows, maybe Garrett/Linehan prefer a speedy guy who can catch out of the backfield and he will be utilized more here in both passing & running situations.

I'm sure Linehan would love to have a FB who can catch, now when we're on the 3 yard line he can really trick the defense into thinking it's a run with 2 backs on the field :muttley:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Complaining about a player that hasn't even been used in OUR system yet, Olawale & Smith are different fullbacks. Who knows, maybe Garrett/Linehan prefer a speedy guy who can catch out of the backfield and he will be utilized more here in both passing & running situations.

I'm sure Linehan would love to have a FB who catch, now when we're on the 3 yard line he can really trick the defense into thinking it's a run with 2 backs on the field :muttley:
:laugh:

mcmvp

Reaction score
Honest question.

What makes it smart?

He's a back of the roster type player that we had in camp before and didn't like enough to keep. You likely could find a similar player with a 7th round pick or in FA at some point. I can only muster indifference at this move but seems like the typical head scratcher we've come to expect from the FO at this time of the year.

I assume he’s referring to the salary cap savings? I thought I read Smith was 4+ mil...that’s a lot for a FB. I’m not sure how many teams even carry a FB anymore.

Roland

Reaction score
People are bored, so anything will get the board's attention a little bit.

Trading down 20 slots very late the draft to get a FB is pretty inconsequential. I agree.
Exactly, this is nothing more than the team filling a vacant spot prior to the draft so they aren't forced to use a draft pick on a fb. We swapped a pick and got a starting Fb. What did you want, go into the draft having to use a draft pick on an unknown? To me, this is nothing more than everyday business. It is nothing flashy, but the sky is not falling because of this move, sheesh people. Sir, I am only going to say it one more time Calm down... I AM CALM!!