Signed by Cowboys FB Olawale traded to Cowboys **merged**

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys realize the Cowboys could have put a second round tender on Smith? That would have cost them $1.9 Million and no draft picks. Instead, they paid an inferior player $1.64 Million, and it cost them 19 spots in the draft. They thought they could work out a contract with Smith, gambled, and they were wrong. They underestimated his value.

They have a knack for it.

And somehow, they couldn't get a nibble on Scandrick, not even a 7th rounder or performance based pick. When the guy was under contract for what? $3 or $4 million a year? And yet, the same guy runs out and immediately gets himself a raise?

That level of incompetence takes skill.

conner01

Reaction score
You guys realize the Cowboys could have put a second round tender on Smith? That would have cost them $1.9 Million and no draft picks. Instead, they paid an inferior player $1.64 Million, and it cost them 19 spots in the draft. They thought they could work out a contract with Smith, gambled, and they were wrong. They underestimated his value.
I don’t see him as an inferior player
He’s a better receiver who can run a little too
And looks to be a similar blocker

Reactions: CWR

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
So after reviewing this, I believe Dallas gambled on the tender for Smith thinking no one would sign him and they could get him to sign a low contract.

Now we're paying the same amount that we would have with the tender and getting a less impact player plus downgrading our draft pick.

Incorrect.

What we gained:
A better receiving and running FB
A 7th round comp pick for letting Smith leave
$600k in CAP space

What we lost:
We moved down 20 draft spots from the 5th to the 6th round
A better blocking FB

For a team that only uses a lead fullback in running situations 9%, this is easily a win

HanD

Reaction score
Almost as good as the Eagles getting Michael Bennett for a 5th Round Pick

i'd give a 5th rounder to keep him and his azhat brother away from the team. no interest at all. but point taken.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Incorrect.

What we gained:
$600k in CAP space

What we lost:
A better blocking FB

For a team that only uses a lead fullback in running situations 9%, this is easily a win

You're missing the special teams aspect. He was a core special teamer and that is probably where we will miss his impact the most.

John813

Reaction score
Incorrect.

What we gained:
$600k in CAP space

What we lost:
A better blocking FB

It's confirmed we are getting a pick for Smith?
It's a 2.1mil deal on average for a guy who will play ST and a handful of offensive snaps. Hell, if we sign anyone worthy, like Fleming, we probably lose any potential for a comp pick.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Fair trade for both. Both are good ST players and good guys We get another 6'th and seem to do well with 6'th round picks. Would have had to address in the draft and we now we don't. Next

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean unless we actually plan on giving this guy the ball a handful of times, could of just signed some dude off the street. The fullback who blocked for Kamara and Ingram is still an UFA. So is the Coleman from the Falcons but he is deaf IIRc

Honestly....if the Cowboys told me they wanted to switch Rod Smith back to fullback......I would've been ok with that.

LittleD

Reaction score
Can't believe, well actually I do. So far an 8 page thread over a FB. :lmao2: as fans freak out over this.
It isn't like they gave up a 2nd round for a TE or a red shirt type injured player.
well there is still time for that, but that is over a month away.

Well, since nothing else is going on and the Cowboys FO is out to lunch, we might as well chew the fat over this much ado about nothing.

Verdict

Reaction score
Move down 19 spots in the 5th/6th round for a guy they would have to cut at some point. I’ll know how I feel about when I see who goes off the board with those 19 picks.

That's true. On the other hand since this is a trade consider the following:

1. He doesn't count against our future comp pick formula.
2. We get him under his old contract numbers. If we had signed him on the open market it may have cost us more.
3. He is really fast for a fullback. Might be able to use him as a short yardage back and in the passing game.
4. We may get a comp pick out of him next year since he is in the last year of his contract.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To someone that can post twitter.
Jon Machota has a tweet out there of Owale going for a 75 yard TD on a pass play.

can someone post this if it is not against their agenda? :laugh:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Support this false claim.

Why? Because of one busted coverage play? Please...
It's confirmed we are getting a pick for Smith?
It's a 2.1mil deal on average for a guy who will play ST and a handful of offensive snaps. Hell, if we sign anyone worthy, like Fleming, we probably lose any potential for a comp pick.

According to OTC Keith is in line for a comp pick.

Doubt Flemming and Smith will have similiar AAVs haha, so we should be good.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Incorrect.

What we gained:
$600k in CAP space

What we lost:
A better blocking FB

And the second rated FB at pass blocking. For whatever reason, 6'th round picks seem better than 5'th

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Support this false claim.

Keith Smith 0 carries, 5 receptions for 26 yards in 2017, 2 carries for 5 yards and 3 catches for 20 yards in 2016. That's it for his stats.

Jamize Olawale 9 carries for 43 yards, 6 receptions for 33 yards last year; 17 carries for 47 yards, 12 receptions for 227 yards in 2016; 24 carries for 110 yards, 9 receptions for 84 yards in 2015.

Olawale is an all-around fullback.

mardwin

Reaction score
Only the Cowboys would give up a Pick for a FB that they had on the Squad in the past while their FB goes to the Raiders for free.

Nobody keeps 2 FBs... but we traded for a guy that was going to be released and nobody was going to claim of waivers.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You're missing the special teams aspect. He was a core special teamer and that is probably where we will miss his impact the most.

Keith Smith played 239 special team snaps

Olawale played 195 specials teams snaps

The difference in what they bring to special teams is unsurprisingly being crazy overblown

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
19 slots at that point does not mean a lot. They gave up 18 to 23 slots last year to get Xaiver Woods...anyone complains about that?

Ehhhh.....I know its slots....but its a 5th round pick. Everyone has been telling us how "great" these comp picks are and trying to use these picks as easing our pain for when a guy leaves......but you can't tell us they are great and then start shipping them out like they are nothing.