Signed by Cowboys FB Olawale traded to Cowboys **merged**

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is most likely a reason they traded picks to get him. Dallas wanted him and probably another team was in the mix to sign him with
lots of cap Dallas didn't have. Yes, the Raiders may have released him but, then we might be in a bidding war to get him to sign. We
haven't been successful bidding for players lately.

A fullback "bidding war"? Really?

Sydla

Reaction score
You get a fullback (needed) with 6 seasons of experience saving 2.6M in the process without losing a pick. It's a good move.

It's a blah move. I don't hate it. I don't like it. It's just...................... blah.

Sydla

Reaction score
Predicated on the cost of keeping Smith.

So we aren't really saving $2.6MM at all. Because we could have maybe drafted or signed a FB in FA that would make even less than Olawale. So in theory, this move may have cost say $1MM.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Honest question.

What makes it smart?

He's a back of the roster type player that we had in camp before and didn't like enough to keep. You likely could find a similar player with a 7th round pick or in FA at some point. I can only muster indifference at this move but seems like the typical head scratcher we've come to expect from the FO at this time of the year.

Because he costs a third of what Smith got. And he's a solid player. And we do still occasionally use a FB. Now if Garrett decides to not ever use him, then he's a fairly pricey special teams player.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Okay everybody back to work. Dallas is now turning it’s attention to the draft.

John813

Reaction score
Yeah but lets cry about it anyways. Seriously though, I like the move. Its not sexy but he is a good player and we save a couple million as opposed to paying for Smith.

Well we saved around 300-500k trading for JO rather than paying Keith smith for this year.
Keith gets on average 2.1 mil per year and I believe we are on the hook for 1.6mil for Olawale.

Edit OTC and sporttrac are in no rush adding Smith to the Raiders lol.

Carson

Reaction score
So basically they signed Smith to play fullback ... had no use for him and traded him. Stupid on us

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
So we aren't really saving $2.6MM at all. Because we could have maybe drafted or signed a FB in FA that would make even less than Olawale. So in theory, this move may have cost say $1MM.

Likely not with 6 years of experience, though. I mean it just about double vet min.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Look at the highlight clip....he is a good guy out of the backfield....better than Smith. A better runner as well. I doubt he is on par with Smith as a ST guy. We save a little money, drop a round in the draft....hard to complain about the move.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This is crazy, the first move we make is for a freaking FB.

That's who we are. We use free agency to cover our losses not to strengthen our lineup.

For the record, though, I like Olawale better than Keith Smith because I think he's a better all-around player.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Because he costs a third of what Smith got. And he's a solid player. And we do still occasionally use a FB. Now if Garrett decides to not ever use him, then he's a fairly pricey special teams player.
not really smith made about slightly more than 1.3mm last year.