Signed by Cowboys FB Olawale traded to Cowboys **merged**

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So we aren't really saving $2.6MM at all. Because we could have maybe drafted or signed a FB in FA that would make even less than Olawale. So in theory, this move may have cost say $1MM.

So it cost a little more to protect Dak in those limited plays, or to block and open holes for Zeke. As opposed to trusting that to a rookie. Especially in goal line situations. Rather they run or pass.
Give me the FB with 6 years experience.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because he costs a third of what Smith got. And he's a solid player. And we do still occasionally use a FB. Now if Garrett decides to not ever use him, then he's a fairly pricey special teams player.

You should recheck your math.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
PFF’s number 2 rated FB in pass protection. A very good lead blocker as well.

Much better than the 4.2M that Smith is getting.

Small move but it seems solid to me.

If Olawale and Smith had both been on the FA market, I would have chosen Olawale in an instant.

The trade we made was similar to what we've seen the Patriots doing. Allow the other team to move up a few spots in order to secure a player you want without losing a pick. This is a very nice "minor" move.

I said in another thread that if we're going to keep using the fullback position then we need to find one who can be a decent threat out of the backfield and Olawale is. He's a good enough lead blocker at the position that we don't have to use a tight end, but defenses also have to watch out for him being handed the ball and especially as a receiver out of the backfield.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to realize that the Clapper has to have a FB as part of his process. McClay is trying to comply.

Yeah, can't miss out on those 12% of offensive plays. And replacing that with a guy who played on 8% of his team's offensive plays, and even less on special teams.

:facepalm:

Reaction score
I don't mind the player. I think he's a upgrade over Smith. I don't mind the trade down. But why on earth did you do this? I would've taken my chances on him getting cut.

Because you get his reasonable contract without having to compete on the open market for him

LittleD

Reaction score
Yeah, can't miss out on those 12% of offensive plays. And replacing that with a guy who played on 8% of his team's offensive plays, and even less on special teams.

:facepalm:

I don't disagree with you. I can't see the need for a FB if we keep stockpiling TE's. Oh well...Let's just hope for only 1 more season of
the Clapper and his misfit toys.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Easily worth one of our 5th round picks.

And we didn't even give the Raiders that. We gave them a slightly better pick than the sixth-rounder we gave them.

Would fans rather we had spent a fifth- or sixth-round pick on a rookie fullback who might turn out like past ones we've drafted?

Reactions: G2