CFZ Fe, Fi, FO, Fum, methinks the FO is not dumb

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Umm, no. They have an excellent defense and would still be a top team. Not THE top team, but they’d be very good.

Very good? What is very good? in a 17 game season, if the Bills had 25 of the 32 starting qbs in the league, they would end up 10-7 or less...that is not "Very good." It would get them booted out of the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd rd and they would never smell the SB. That gets coaches fired after 3 or 4 years..... just like 80% or so of the teams in the league. IN other words, the Bills would be just another team that nobody remembers next year.

DanA

Reaction score
There’s good and bad but if you have the memory of a goldfish and only look at the last two years they are a great front office….one of the best.

The Good:
  • Drafting for a decade has been great but exceptional since McCarthy became head coach. The coaches influence seems overall positive when it comes to the draft.
  • The current coaching staff is very good developing players. Players across the board are improving.
  • Free agency acquisitions and cap management the last two years have been fantastic.
The bad:
  • 27 years of failure is relevant.
  • They stuck with Garrett for a decade!
  • Some of the decisions to re-sign players from 2015-2020 and the price paid were terrible (Dez, Jaylon, Collins, Zeke, T.Williams) and really set us back.
  • They put themselves in a bad position timing wise on contracts (D-Law, Dak)
  • Free agency was horrible between signing Carr right up until Quinn arrived.
  • The Nolan year when we signed Utter trash and had a historically bad defense still bugs me.
As I talked about earlier though, it’s gotten a lot better recently.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Bears had top offense coming into Cowboys game. And Bills were .500 team with a great defense without Allen.

Allen makes them arguably the best team but with that defense and an average QB they’d be a potential playoff contender while not a SB contender.

Much like Chiefs were only a playoff contender until Mahomes arrived who made them a SB contender.

Bears are the 23 scoring offense at 19.4 ppg.... they stink.

And the rest of what you are saying is exactly what I just said, and have been saying since you and I started talking years ago. The Bills would be just another team, coach would be just another coach, Wrs would be just another group of Wrs... but with Allen? Oh hell, we are gonna hear from Collinsworth how all of those are as good as any in the league.....lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bears are the 23 scoring offense at 19.4 ppg.... they stink.

And the rest of what you are saying is exactly what I just said, and have been saying since you and I started talking years ago. The Bills would be just another team, coach would be just another coach, Wrs would be just another group of Wrs... but with Allen? Oh hell, we are gonna hear from Collinsworth how all of those are as good as any in the league.....lol
The only reason I initially responded is you said Buffalo would be “ Garbage” without Allen, now you are saying just another team which is what I said in a .500 team before Allen arrived.

DanA

Reaction score
I think that their plan is working and it is more than luck.

I don’t think it’s that. I think they already had the scouting network in place and were drafting well. I think the coaching staff now are just better and starting to filter into other areas. Particularly since Quinn arrived.

Since Quinn arrived we basically haven’t made a bad decision on defense other than perhaps being too cheap at DT and LB (they’re all still punching above contract though). Draft hit rate has been huge and some of these free agents are 5-10 times better than their contract (Kearse, Hooker, Fowler).

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First off, I am as critical of the owner and his son as anyone because I just flat do not like them but some of the criticism thrown their way is overdone.

He is not the worst GM, by far, in the NFL, either now or as long as he's been doing it. The 26 years of wandering in the wilderness makes him an easy target.

I see blame for Elliott's contract and for Schultz's but is the blame for Schultz's balanced by praise for picking Ferguson and Hendershot for better options in this off season?

The blame for Prescott's is overblown because the crime was not giving themselves any options but the draft and what would a trade up in picks cost and was that worth the risk? They did what they had to do and the criticism for not doing the deal earlier ignores the fact they tried to do that. Most likely at the value they placed on him and not what the market dictated.

So, they sit at 6-2, with a backup QB steering most of those but where is the credit for Cooper Rush?

Here is what I am thinking is happening to too many of you. You are letting the past throw shade on your sunshine of this season. You just can't let it go.

Let those 26 years go and relish this season that is right now. They have the best defense in the last 27 years and a run game they seem content to lean on. This is a good team.

Yes, they could lose in the wild card round and keep that string going but why worry about that now? That's 10 games away and a lot is going to happen between then and now. So, forget then and embrace now.

Don't you really want to be happy being a fan? Or have we become happy blaming the FO for everything to the point that we do not see all of the positive moves they've made? Are we too happy being critical?

Believe me, it is not fun for me to give them credit but there is not any analyst that would have given them a chance at 6-2 when Prescott went down. I know, I heard them all.

So far in the 2022 season, this FO has done a great job and better than anyone here would have predicted. We are so busy criticizing them, the good things slip by us. And there are some really good things.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but with one disclaimer: It is ok and perfectly reasonable for fans to be frustrated with a front office that has not put together an NFC Championship game team in 27 years. Do I think that this seasons has been one of their finer jobs? Oh yeah, of course. Does that mean we all need to agree with every decision they make? No, I don't think it does.

No front office in the NFL would still have a job after 27 years of futility like the Cowboys have seen. Dallas' conference championship game drought is only matched by Washington and Detroit, Cleveland, and Miami... the poster children for NFL front office/ownership dysfunction. I do not think Dallas landed among that group on accident.

All of that said, we have an excellent team this season. A team that seems good enough to finally break the curse. They could flame out in the Wildcard round just as easily as they could make the NFC Championship, but I agree that does not matter. I've been trying to enjoy each game for what it is since I think all of us enjoy seeing Dallas win games (even if a Superbowl isn't guaranteed to lie at the end). Treating each season as Superbowl or bust is a recipe for unhappiness.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The only reason I initially responded is you said Buffalo would be “ Garbage” without Allen, now you are saying just another team which is what I said in a .500 team before Allen arrived.
well isnt 500 garbage? I guess I should have clarified what Garbage menas to me.

A team that has ZERO chance at a title is garbage to me. If you have zero chance of winning a title, what is the point. Cant get excited at all as a fan or player. It must absolutely suck to play for the Titans, Falcons, Lions.... teams that are just out to play and win here and there but in the end they know they have no shot at being a top team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes I'm a bandwagon fan that has stuck with a team that is bottom 5 in playoff wins since the 90s
Yea, I’m not sure why these type of fans can’t grasp critical thinking and apathetic fans.

You don’t have to believe in anything to root for and support your favorite or local team .

My Alma Mater has suked most of my life and I truly doubt they’ll ever win a national championship as a private school but that doesn’t prevent me from following, rooting and complaining.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There are no easier fans to ignore than the 27 years people. These are the Ricky Bobbys.
They haven't won a thing in their entire life and base their entire existence on this team winning Super Bowls.
These people should not bother to even speak during the regular season because that is all meaningless to them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
well isnt 500 garbage? I guess I should have clarified what Garbage menas to me.

A team that has ZERO chance at a title is garbage to me. If you have zero chance of winning a title, what is the point. Cant get excited at all as a fan or player. It must absolutely suck to play for the Titans, Falcons, Lions.... teams that are just out to play and win here and there but in the end they know they have no shot at being a top team.
No, .500 is pretty much average in the NFL. Especially in Cap era. Some seasons even playoff caliber.

Last edited:

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It must absolutely suck to play for the Titans, Falcons, Lions.... teams that are just out to play and win here and there but in the end they know they have no shot at being a top team.

The Titans made the AFC Championship game in 2019 and the Falcons were in the Superbowl in 2016.

I would hardly call that having no chance to win.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The Titans made the AFC Championship game in 2019 and the Falcons were in the Superbowl in 2016.

like the cowboys they are both losers. Don't be the kid running around happy with his blue ribbon while the winners are celebrating with their trophies

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yea, if anything we could argue the Cowboys have had less chance of winning championships more than most franchises this era.

We are one of only 5 franchises who haven’t sniffed a SB since our last appearance .

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
like the cowboys they are both losers. Don't be the kid running around happy with his blue ribbon while the winners are celebrating with their trophies

Well this is a dumb way to look at things in a salary cap league. The name of the game is parity. Contenders come and go quickly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hope that they feel better.
I’m not sure why that would matter or why we care how others feel?

Ive always used attending a game as a good analogy of analyzing disparity amongst fellow fans in how we all conduct ourselves differently while all rooting for the same result.