CFZ Fe, Fi, FO, Fum, methinks the FO is not dumb

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Every team that drafts a Randy Moss, E. Smith, Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White player was LUCKY. Because if any team knew those guys would become the HOF all time great players they became, They would have gone much higher than they were drafted..... unless they went 1. The draft is such a crap shoot every year. The last couple of years, we are winning our bets.
True to an extent except if that player isn’t a top need. You don’t draft a QB if you already have one.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
First, I am pleasantly surprised. I had the Cowboys record at 9-8.

Second, I'm glad they didn't give up a top draft choice for a receiver. Didn't we learn our lesson with Amari Cooper, Joey Galloway and Roy Williams?
A wide receiver is NOT going to make the difference between us making the playoffs or the Super Bowl or not.
A great defense (which we're shaping into), an offense powered by the running game, a healthy offensive line and accurate throws to move the chains will.

Third, I still have my reservations about the Super Bowl, though. I think we make the playoffs easily. I think we can polish off Indy, Jacksonville, Houston, the Titans (bottle up Henry, and you've stopped Tennessee's offense), the Giants and the Commodes. That's 12 wins which easily puts us in the playoffs. I have confidence in Quinn and his defense. I don't have confidence in McCarthy (I knew my players were worried before the SF playoff game :rolleyes:) and Kellen "Boy Wonder in perpetual training) Moore. I expect someone bad call or brainfart at a critical moment in the playoffs, but I hope they prove me wrong.

A wide receiver is NOT going to make the difference between us making the playoffs or the Super Bowl or not.​

The *lack* of a competent WR ended our playoff hopes on at least 2 seasons I specifically recall.
The Romo years were often held back by the lack of depth at WR at the end of the season, starting with 2007 against the Giants.
The only legitimate WR left on the field by the end of the game was Patrick Crayton, and I always considered him a #3 in a good situation.
At the end of the game, TO was done. Austin was still just an investment in the future. Crayton lost the game by pulling up to the 2nd to the last pass. And Romo's last pass was thrown to Terry Glenn, who *never played another down in the NFL*. He was *totally* shot physically. Did he even make it to camp the following year? I don't think so.
Some Commander game for a playoff berth ended with a Romo INT. "Bad, bad Romo. Choker!" But that was another game where we were just short on WRs come the end, and Romo was trying to make the offense go by throwing to the likes of Duane Harris.
For years the bottom of the WR roster was used for special teams. A couple of injuries and we were fielding WRs who just weren't competent.

This year the emergence of Brown has provided a buffer. Given us a 3rd WR who could start. But the whiff on Tolbert hurts our depth. Simi is out and wasn't much in. James Washington ain't even in yet, and we shouldn't expect much from him IMO.
But for Brown really stepping up, we were headed to *start* the season with Lamb and special teams players at WR.
The strength of the defense makes this year's team a contender. I'm very cap cheap, but I'd like to see them pick up a legitimate WR with speed for the playoff run. Loved the pickup of Hankins. We could use another DT too.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What after 27 years you think it’s all OK after 8 games?
I’m far from being miserable but show me first before I pat this FO on the back.
I'm not talking about congratulating the FO. I'm just saying it does you no good to let the state of the franchise affect you too much. Even if the person I disliked the most in this world (short of murderers, dictators, etc.) owned the team, I'd still take it week to week, if it seemed like they had a fair chance of getting in the playoffs. Keep hope alive, brother!

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I'm not talking about congratulating the FO. I'm just saying it does you no good to let the state of the franchise affect you too much. Even if the person I disliked the most in this world (short of murderers, dictators, etc.) owned the team, I'd still take it week to week, if it seemed like they had a fair chance of getting in the playoffs. Keep hope alive, brother!
Believe you me, after the last 27 years it hardly bothers me any more.
It used to ruin my week after a loss.
Now I just shrug my shoulders.
Getting to the playoffs isn’t good enough.
We need to win some games if we get there.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
[
You can make the claim that Escobar and Bennett did not do much after the cowboys, but my claim is the cowboys ruined them, and it was a weird situation with romo, witten, and garrett. If you watch the highlights of some of the things escobar did, he was a weapon, that didnt get used.

Escobar was a tall, slow, long striding WR. Coudn't block and lacked physicality. The positives were soft hands and pretty good catch radius, but that's just not enough to be a useful NFL receiver.

We *ruined* him? We *carried* him for years despite his lack of value. The NFL wouldn't take him when we were done with him, and he was even cut by the semipro team he landed on.

If you want to talk about guys we ruined, talk about Felix. Played him injured for 2 years and ground a *phenomenal* talent out of the league.

75boyz

Reaction score
True to an extent except if that player isn’t a top need. You don’t draft a QB if you already have one.

Sometimes they do. Reid took Mahomes after having Alex Smith. Kingsbury took Murray after Cards drafted Rosen.

Just depends on circumstance I guess.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sometimes they do. Reid took Mahomes after having Alex Smith. Kingsbury took Murray after drafting Rosen.

Just depends on circumstance I guess.
Sorry, I meant a QB you were happy with or thought was enough.

The other exception would be drafting Heir apparent.

But generally teams don’t use high draft picks on positions they already have Star talent.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
for myself I think its a severe case of masochism.

Been a fan since I watched the colts steal the SB from the Boys (helped by that fake fumble of course) and have lived and died with them ever since.
So take your bandwagon crap and stick it sideways
Stay miserable then.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Escobar was a tall, slow, long striding WR. Coudn't block and lacked physicality. The positives were soft hands and pretty good catch radius, but that's just not enough to be a useful NFL receiver.

We *ruined* him? We *carried* him for years despite his lack of value. The NFL wouldn't take him when we were done with him, and he was even cut by the semipro team he landed on.

If you want to talk about guys we ruined, talk about Felix. Played him injured for 2 years and ground a *phenomenal* talent out of the league.

Coaches are given a group of weapons to use. There are a lot of things they could have done with escobar. I know Witten was consistent, but they could have taken away a bunch of his 4 or 5 yard catches, where he turns around and gets tackled, and schemed them for escobar.

Ruined him might not have been the right phrase with escobar, although I think it was the right one with bennett. They didn't use what they had properly.

There are a lot of players under garrett, where he didn't adjust from what he was doing to complement what he had. You can also say that when we were done with garret he went for a stent with giants, no one else in the league wanted him and cut him, he was pushed into broadcasting, where I think he will be cut from that soon

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
A wide receiver is NOT going to make the difference between us making the playoffs or the Super Bowl or not.​

The *lack* of a competent WR ended our playoff hopes on at least 2 seasons I specifically recall.
The Romo years were often held back by the lack of depth at WR at the end of the season, starting with 2007 against the Giants.
The only legitimate WR left on the field by the end of the game was Patrick Crayton, and I always considered him a #3 in a good situation.
At the end of the game, TO was done. Austin was still just an investment in the future. Crayton lost the game by pulling up to the 2nd to the last pass. And Romo's last pass was thrown to Terry Glenn, who *never played another down in the NFL*. He was *totally* shot physically. Did he even make it to camp the following year? I don't think so.
Some Commander game for a playoff berth ended with a Romo INT. "Bad, bad Romo. Choker!" But that was another game where we were just short on WRs come the end, and Romo was trying to make the offense go by throwing to the likes of Duane Harris.
For years the bottom of the WR roster was used for special teams. A couple of injuries and we were fielding WRs who just weren't competent.

This year the emergence of Brown has provided a buffer. Given us a 3rd WR who could start. But the whiff on Tolbert hurts our depth. Simi is out and wasn't much in. James Washington ain't even in yet, and we shouldn't expect much from him IMO.
But for Brown really stepping up, we were headed to *start* the season with Lamb and special teams players at WR.
The strength of the defense makes this year's team a contender. I'm very cap cheap, but I'd like to see them pick up a legitimate WR with speed for the playoff run. Loved the pickup of Hankins. We could use another DT too.

The Giants loss was not because of the receivers. TO was a star receiver. He just didn't have it.

Furthermore, the Cowboys loss because we couldn't protect Romo, and Phillips and Garrett changed offensive strategies.
Remember, during the season, we'd run Felix Jones and let Marion Barber III be the closer. Defenses were worn down by then and Barber would finish them off.
Well, in the playoffs, we decided to feature Barber first and that seem to throw us out of rhythm.

Moreover, if it was the fact we didn't have great receivers, how do you explain the Giants holding the Patriots to 14 points in the Super Bowl - a Patriot team that had Randy Moss and a Giants team that had David Tyree? :huh:

I don't think the Giants loss was mainly because of wide receiver. Crayton was money all season long. He just cracked under pressure. Glenn was coming off injury and TO just couldn't gut it out, he was spent.

That wasn't because we didn't have good receivers. We simply had good receivers who didn't perform, everything else considered.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
IMO the front office has made much smarter choices from about 2013 to the present than it did from about 1996 to about 2010. One remembers trade disasters like the Joey Galloway one and the Roy Williams one, and then drafting Quincy Carter, and passing on Randy Moss.

I was proud of this organization when it passed on drafting Johnny Manziel and instead concentrated on building up a great O-line. I still don't think the front office is the elite of the NFL, but they've learned and have gotten better.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No doubt Bills wouldn’t be a SB contender without Allen but they had a great defense and were hovering around .500 basically needing a franchise QB. And they struck gold. But I wouldn’t say they were Garbage.
Bills would look like the Bears if they switched QBs.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yep, and who can forget the intent in the draft was Paxton Lynch and then Connor Cook in 2016. The intent was Dak was just a back up 4th rounder to Moore and Romo.

Steven Jones admitting Surtain or the South Carolina kid was the pick. Not Parsons. And then Philly moving up and not taking him but took Devonta Smith.

Lotsa luck. Not planned nor intended.

In all fairness, the Cowboys weren't the only team that thought that Lynch and Cook were going to be good NFL QBs. The Broncos went to a lot of trouble to get Lynch. Luckily they had our number on that one. Last I knew Lynch was in the CFL, and wasn't even a starter.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In all fairness, the Cowboys weren't the only team that thought that Lynch and Cook were going to be good NFL QBs. The Broncos went to a lot of trouble to get Lynch. Luckily they had our number on that one. Last I knew Lynch was in the CFL, and wasn't even a starter.
It’s tough to say if one of those QB’s might have had some success in our offense with strong supporting cast.

So many of these top drafted QB’s go to crap teams and then lose their confidence quickly .

I wonder how Dak might have done early in his career if he went to a bottom tier team?

CWR

Reaction score
You have now violated rule # 1. You will be banned from this thread, benched, and you will get the scary red rule violation warning post put in this thread. Shut your mouth boy, read the rules, and think about what you did

Lol cool. I just wasn't sure what I had done wrong. Hence, "read the rules." We are 6-2, I'm tryna be on my best behavior. It's one thing to get banned during a losing season. This year I wanna celebrate with yall.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Lol cool. I just wasn't sure what I had done wrong. Hence, "read the rules." We are 6-2, I'm tryna be on my best behavior. It's one thing to get banned during a losing season. This year I wanna celebrate with yall.

It is a good year. It seems like the warm up is over, and it is time to see where it goes. I liked last year too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
First off, I am as critical of the owner and his son as anyone because I just flat do not like them but some of the criticism thrown their way is overdone.

He is not the worst GM, by far, in the NFL, either now or as long as he's been doing it. The 26 years of wandering in the wilderness makes him an easy target.

I see blame for Elliott's contract and for Schultz's but is the blame for Schultz's balanced by praise for picking Ferguson and Hendershot for better options in this off season?

The blame for Prescott's is overblown because the crime was not giving themselves any options but the draft and what would a trade up in picks cost and was that worth the risk? They did what they had to do and the criticism for not doing the deal earlier ignores the fact they tried to do that. Most likely at the value they placed on him and not what the market dictated.

So, they sit at 6-2, with a backup QB steering most of those but where is the credit for Cooper Rush?

Here is what I am thinking is happening to too many of you. You are letting the past throw shade on your sunshine of this season. You just can't let it go.

Let those 26 years go and relish this season that is right now. They have the best defense in the last 27 years and a run game they seem content to lean on. This is a good team.

Yes, they could lose in the wild card round and keep that string going but why worry about that now? That's 10 games away and a lot is going to happen between then and now. So, forget then and embrace now.

Don't you really want to be happy being a fan? Or have we become happy blaming the FO for everything to the point that we do not see all of the positive moves they've made? Are we too happy being critical?

Believe me, it is not fun for me to give them credit but there is not any analyst that would have given them a chance at 6-2 when Prescott went down. I know, I heard them all.

So far in the 2022 season, this FO has done a great job and better than anyone here would have predicted. We are so busy criticizing them, the good things slip by us. And there are some really good things.

:clap::clap::clap: well said

75boyz

Reaction score

Yup, luck strikes again.