Finally a Measuring Stick

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Everyone knows how much I believe in this team. The key for victory for me will be the performances of our Oline and Dline. If our big guys win a majority of their matchups in the trenches, Cowboys will win!

nobody

Reaction score
I think it is more a measurement of offensive game planning than anything. Which offensive coaching scheme will we see?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Everyone knows how much I believe in this team. The key for victory for me will be the performances of our Oline and Dline. If our big guys win a majority of their matchups in the trenches, Cowboys will win!
its not that simple when playing the Saints. They are an anomaly. They are a high octane , fast break,diverse offense...that has solid role players,and outstanding coaching.

lopey

Reaction score
After Denver beat both Chargers and Steelers I have a more confidence that a hot team like NO will finally play a bad game on the road. I like the Cowboys chances as long as they do not turnover the ball. Close game Cowboys win by a field goal!

Blitzen

Reaction score
I see a game that I predicted the last 3 games with my colleagues. It will either be a massacre by the other team or a close Cowboy victory because I actually trust Dak in the last drive if the opportunity presents itself.

Cowboys fans need him to be more. If the running game struggles or is slightly less effective, then he may need to pass more to keep pace. Hoping to win on a last possession score is no strategy. Scoring as many touchdowns as you have offensive possessions is a strategy, and using as much time on the clock as possible to wear down your opponent.

Blitzen

Reaction score
The Cowboys entire season has been a measuring stick. When I first saw the schedule . I thought each game was a must win. I also thought that losing probowlers Dez and Witten would be a difficult task to overcome. Me being the die-hard thought that Zeke and Dak could generate enough offense to win. They couldn't, they just didn't measure up.

The bright-side of the first part of the season was the excellent defensive play. It actually looks elite on all levels which is a change from what fans have grown accustomed to over the last two decades. Then the Amari trade occurs. This was a great GM move and the dividends have been seen from his first game. Cooper sent shock-waves to defensive coordinators on Thanksgiving day. Teams will have to back the safeties out of the box for the first time this season. The Cowboys are measuring up now.

Dallas will show that they are contenders when they face the Saints. This is a preview of the NFC title game, where these two teams will square off again.

Drew Brees will find it difficult to throw from his back.

Dallas victory 38-24

This post reminds me of the conversation between Dash and his mother on the drive home from the principal's office in "The Incredibles." Mother says "everyone is special Dash." Dash mutters "which is another way of saying no one is."

TheHerd

Reaction score
Oh your right. We have no business winning this one,period. What I wanna see is how we play in general. Do we stay with them for a bit at least and make it interesting or do we fold by Half? I see the D keeping it reasonably close through 3 quarters,then the wheels fall off late. We lose by 21 , 41-20. Valiant effort by the team...but not enough. We will get worn down too much on D by the 4th quarter. That's how I see it. Kamara and Ingram will eat us alive.

I see us getting killed by RB passes. It makes no sense with LVE and Smith, but our biggest problems seem to be with mobile QBs and RBs/TEs. I suppose with our safeties the TEs shouldn't be surprising, but we tend to have LBs on TEs.

I see lots of easy 8 yard swing passes.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
its not that simple when playing the Saints. They are an anomaly. They are a high octane , fast break,diverse offense...that has solid role players,and outstanding coaching.
During the past 3 games combined while having Amari Cooper on board, our Offense has averaged 26.6 points/game. We've all seen this O leave points on the field, so this Offense has the potential to score in the 30s. The Saints Defense is not that good and can be scored on. If our Oline starts winning their battles at the line of scrimmage, our Offense can wear down the Saints Defense while keeping Brees, Kamara and Thomas off the field.

If our front 7 Defenders are able to pressure Brees while limiting Kamara, I believe our D-secondary can cover the Saints receivers long enough to disrupt the Saints high-scoring ability, thus giving our team a chance to pull a victory.

Jipper

Reaction score
im sure there is a "that's what she said" joke in here somewhere but i cant seem to find it....over under on 7 loss?

Verdict

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I do not anticipate a win Thursday evening. I do not think that Dak can make enough plays in the passing game to keep up with a balanced offense with an elite QB (as long as both QBs are healthy throughout the game).

The story of this game should be how the Cowboys stack up against a legitimate contender that is playing hot and is relatively healthy. Beat the Saints and I will start believing the team can actually play with a real contender. I will even take a game where Dallas stays close the entire game and loses a close one (within one score), but all facets perform well especially on the Cowboys offense (particularly the passing game). Not a game where Dallas has to rally from a huge deficit and the Saints play prevent defense for hollow stats.

Lose by more than one score in a game clearly dominated by the Saints and that tells me the squad has topped out by beating other pretenders this season. The goal should and always will be to make the playoffs and look like a real threat to any team (and occasionally win the SB). Anything less is for losers and enablers.

Why would you start believing if we beat the Saints? Wouldn't that be enough to make you a total believer in the Cowboys? There aren't any better teams in the NFL than the Saints on paper.

After we beat the Saints there will still be those who move the bar yet again and fail to believe in the Cowboys.

I don't understand the urine drinkers on this forum. What about any given Sunday do you guys not get? If you make the playoffs you have a chance.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems all of a sudden, and not just this thread. Fans are making excuses already about losing.
I am not scared, bring them on. The outcome is what it is. Then time to move on to beat the Eagles.

Reaction score
I feel the same way. I don't believe we are on the same level as the Saints. I would be shocked, if we beat them.

Having said that, if we do..... I'm driving the playoff bus :cool:
The chances are winning this game is very, very slim.

But if they do, I will be strutting around like a proud rooster.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I see us getting killed by RB passes. It makes no sense with LVE and Smith, but our biggest problems seem to be with mobile QBs and RBs/TEs. I suppose with our safeties the TEs shouldn't be surprising, but we tend to have LBs on TEs.

I see lots of easy 8 yard swing passes.
exactly. We gonna see a ton of rb screens and wheel routes. Like I said before...its fast break NBA basketball. I just don't see an avenue by which we can realistically win. Not trying to be negative, nothing is impossible...but this may be as close to impossible as it gets lol.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Ben Watson and Hill gonna burn us. We do not do well covering tightends. Too many weapons and we just are outmanned and overwhelmed.I just want to see how we fight and compete for 4 quarters...win or lose.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
exactly. We gonna see a ton of rb screens and wheel routes. Like I said before...its fast break NBA basketball. I just don't see an avenue by which we can realistically win. Not trying to be negative, nothing is impossible...but this may be as close to impossible as it gets lol.

But yet, is that not what you are doing? :muttley: