Fire Kellen Moore

efh313

Reaction score
I should've said based on the available evidence, I don't believe that was his original desire.
I'd like to have seen MM calling plays as well, but it is what it is I guess.
Do you think it's possible this was just a "pre-season" style play it safe scheme package because they felt the guys weren't conditioned yet? And we'll see more next week?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Let me ask a question. If you have Mahomes, Rodgers, Jackson or Wilson as an OC, are you going to call your game a little differently, maybe a little more aggressive?

Pederson was too aggressive with Wentz and it cost him the game. McVay was conservative with Goff and he won his game.

I don't care how well you think you know this QB, this OC knows him better than you do. An OC's job is to balance putting his QB in his best situation to succeed and keeping him out of trouble. If you think having ?'s at LG, C and RT do not affect what he calls, think again.

Years ago here where I live a local boxer got a fight with Alexis Arguello, one of the premier boxers of the era. Listening to the radio (as tickets were too expensive for most folk) in the first couple of rounds the local guy was scoring points, got in a couple of hits, etc. and people really thought the local guy would win. However, as I tried to tell people before the fight, if you watched any of Arguello's prior fights, he usually just boxed very conservatively until he say how his opponent moved, etc. then he began to really fight.
Well that's the way it went with the local guy's bout, after about 2-3 rounds Arguello became the aggressor and began to beat the crap out of the local guy, and the fight was over soon after that.
MM knows it's a long season, he's new here, so he may have wanted to play conservatively to see if the Cowboys could win, if they did, then he can keep more complex plays "in his back pocket", leaving some for later in the year. Doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't do plays differently, or that Dak's incapable of doing them, just wanted to see how the team looks so he's not making changes willy-nilly, but only where necessary.
Maybe not, either, but we'll see...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Do you think it's possible this was just a "pre-season" style play it safe scheme package because they felt the guys weren't conditioned yet? And we'll see more next week?

Sure. So for it not to be, seems you could just look at McCarthy's tenure in GB, if he ran the "safe" plays all the time, then it may be his style of coaching.
But I don't remember MM as being that way, didn't watch a lot of GB games of course, but any coach that ran his team that way would surely be known as an unimaginative play caller/head coach, and again I never heard that...

starfan1

Reaction score
You better hurry up and get on board because the Dak show is coming to a close. . . soon He will nit be here to HATE
:popcorn:
Lol ok you got like from your revolutions hero. You another pappy wanna be ?

lukin2006

Reaction score
after 1 week? Come on, Man. This was not the normal off season. They put together a game plan based on what they thought they could do the best with the limited amount of live action they had. If the O doesn't get better and more diverse over the next month or so, then I will be with you. But got to give them a little slack.

17 games as OC the only thing he has proven is that he can run up scores on bad teams. He is a typical Jerry yes boy clown...He has no clue how to run an offense. He needs to go, like the last offseason.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
17 games as OC the only thing he has proven is that he can run up scores on bad teams. He is a typical Jerry yes boy clown...He has no clue how to run an offense. He needs to go, like the last offseason.
When the horse( Dak) is a gimp its not winning the Kentucky derby no matter who the trainer is!!!

cern

Reaction score
Let me ask a question. If you have Mahomes, Rodgers, Jackson or Wilson as an OC, are you going to call your game a little differently, maybe a little more aggressive?

Pederson was too aggressive with Wentz and it cost him the game. McVay was conservative with Goff and he won his game.

I don't care how well you think you know this QB, this OC knows him better than you do. An OC's job is to balance putting his QB in his best situation to succeed and keeping him out of trouble. If you think having ?'s at LG, C and RT do not affect what he calls, think again.
well said, coach. but just too logical for some.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I sure hope this clown is not another 10-year experiment. Maybe in 3 years, they'll take the training wheels off. He needs to go, the sooner the better. Mike McCarthy needs to take over the offense. This team needs to know whether Dak is worth the investment. Dak's inability to beat good teams lately coincides with the Moore hiring.

starfan1

Reaction score
Hey man thanks for the free PR but your fears of the Dak-Zoids are your own!:omg:
Man up or simply join them and sell Dak till you drop or until we go 8-8 again!

always willing to help out the troubled souls in the world.

InTheZone

Reaction score
If Moore goes then Dak has to as well. No more remnants of the JG themed offense.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I have completely lost faith in him.
This was a no brainer last season. Seems the Moore fans are hush hush now.

He sat our two WR's on 4th & goal in Philly w/the division on the line. That was last straw for me w/that guy.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
In early January of this year if you go back through Blogging the Boys the general thought was McCarthy was definitely leaning towards calling his own plays, although it was not written in stone. He had remarked that the only time he gave up play calling at Green Bay was for a limited time and that it was a mistake. He took the play calling back. The following season McCarthy told Tom Pelissero he would "never give up play calling again".
He told 105.3 that he "loved play calling".
In Late December in his interview with Peter King, he told King that "the play caller on Sunday should be the same person who installed the offense on Wed, Thurs, and Fri", leaving the impression he would be strongly involved in that process, but again, no promises.

As far as I can tell, it was reported on Jan 16 that Moore would be calling plays. Prior to that, there was talk that Moore had been offered a job as OC for the University of Washington. I don't know the timing or details of all that or how it fit into the situation with McCarthy.
I can find no "direct quote from McCarthy" himself as you requested.
Based on the interviews and the context of his various statements, I drew the same impression that so many were reporting, that he would most likely be calling plays, but again it was not written in stone.
I still believe that was MM's preference, but who knows what all factors entered into the situation leading to the final decision.

So what we have is something McCarthy said to Peter King BEFORE accepting the job as head coach of the Cowboys but 9 days after becoming the head coach McCarthy announces that Moore would be calling the plays.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
So what we have is something McCarthy said to Peter King BEFORE accepting the job as head coach of the Cowboys but 9 days after becoming the head coach McCarthy announces that Moore would be calling the plays.

Well here's one AFTER accepting the job as HC since you feel the need to press the issue. At McCarthy’s introductory news conference on Jan. 8th as the Cowboy’s new HC, one of the questions asked was who would call plays. He answered “Things will be similar to how they have been under him in years prior.”

So just how were things in years prior”? McCarthy was always the play caller except for one season after which he said that was a mistake and he would never give up play calling again. He took back the play calling duties and didn't give them up again. That was “in years prior”. Sounds to me like he was planning to call plays.

In the same article they reported that MM said that the Cowboys are going to make “We” decisions as far as he and Jerry Jones were concerned.
Just guessing, but that kinda sounds like Jerry may have had a "WE" part in keeping Moore as play caller.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ott-working-with-jerry-jones-and-so-much-more

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
after 1 week? Come on, Man. This was not the normal off season. They put together a game plan based on what they thought they could do the best with the limited amount of live action they had. If the O doesn't get better and more diverse over the next month or so, then I will be with you. But got to give them a little slack.
Well..

Last year when before the season started Garrett announced Moore was the OC and would call the plays.

We all went "What?"

He was Linehan's hand picked choice from Detroit and many of us said..

"No. We want somebody not from the Linehan tree."

We looked at his time as a backup here and was totally a wash.

Garrett had his job on the line and he was going to have Moore save his job?

Guess what?

Garrett was fired.

Now McCarthy is going down the same road.

As soon as Moore was rehired by McCarthy..

I though "What an idiot.."

I still think it.

Add the Blue/White scrimmage where the jersey numbers were removed to supposedly protect some of our rookies from being scouted..

Seriously?

Never heard of such nonsense.

Again, I took a double take of McCarthy making poor decisions.

This year is going to be the season to finish cleaning out the Deadwood that is holding us back.

Dak will not be re-signed and Moore will be replaced.

And McCarthy will need to restart his start in Dallas.

It's coming in my opinion.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
This was a no brainer last season. Seems the Moore fans are hush hush now.

He sat our two WR's on 4th & goal in Philly w/the division on the line. That was last straw for me w/that guy.
Moore called the plays last year, JG called the personell, who was on the field.

This limited Moore's play selection because it was based on who JG wanted out there, or what package I should say.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Well..

Last year when before the season started Garrett announced Moore was the OC and would call the plays.

We all went "What?"

Guess what?

Garrett was fired.

I still think it.

Add the Blue/White scrimmage where the jersey numbers were removed to supposedly protect some of our rookies from being scouted..

Seriously?

This year is going to be the season to finish cleaning out the Deadwood that is holding us back.

The ole "jersey numbers were removed to supposedly protect some of our rookies from being scouted" is a BB trick. Do you think he knows what he is doing?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The ole "jersey numbers were removed to supposedly protect some of our rookies from being scouted" is a BB trick. Do you think he knows what he is doing?
I think he took on a job he didn't fully understand.

Once it was decided the entire staff was out and he had to hire everybody..

that became more than he was prepared to do.

That's why he reneged on the playcalling and kept Moore.

He just realized he had taken on too much.

I have to believe this coaching staff is slapped together with glue and tape and is not the best. Most of the staff was former McCarthy staffers on other staffs.

Not any were considered as top tier assistants. They, too were fired from GB.

So I think we are in for alot more changes to come as McCarthy takes a good look at what he has to win with.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I think he took on a job he didn't fully understand.

Once it was decided the entire staff was out and he had to hire everybody..

that became more than he was prepared to do.
That's why he reneged on the playcalling and kept Moore.

He just realized he had taken on too much.

I have to believe this coaching staff is slapped together with glue and tape and is not the best. Most of the staff was former McCarthy staffers on other staffs.

Not any were considered as top tier assistants. They, too were fired from GB.

So I think we are in for alot more changes to come as McCarthy takes a good look at what he has to win with.

I don't think so Red, play calling and offense was his specialty. He loved it and wanted it. If I had to guess I'd venture that Jerry had something to do with keeping Moore.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Well..

We all went "What?"

Guess what?

Garrett was fired.

I still think it.

Seriously?

And I am 100% ok with that. But the facts are that this was a crazy off season, no OTA, no mini camps, very little TC And no PS. All new staff except the OC. I just think we give them more than 1 game to get everything rolling, especially when you have 3 new starters on the OL, new TE, New WR. Trust me I am not going to defend Moore, I wasn't very excited about him to begin with but 1 game with all these different changes and challenges of the offseason is not enough time to see what the team will be under the new HC>