First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.
How many more practices did Romo have under his belt before his first 39 career starts? You are trying to be cute by seeming to compare apples to apples but that's not what you are doing at all. The time Romo was allowed to ripen without starting matters. Your premise is not a fair comparison so I don't know what you think you are proving.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Nah, TO was on the decline at that point and was battling injuries until he retired. For whatever reason TO left, he wasn't the same player he was in 2006 and 2007 for us. Though, the official report that was released states we released TO due to poor performance in 2008. I think it was a mixture of the locker room stuff and noticing he was about to hit the wall.

He had some good games with the Bengals in 2010, but as we know, injury got him and that was it for him.
It was Romo not letting his wrs practice with him while he was brokeback mountaining with Witten. Then Romo cried to Jerry and TO was gone. TO still had a 1,000 yard season in 08

Philmonroe

Reaction score
True, thinking Dak is not good is not hating. Just as anybody can have an idea about anyone...

However, not seeing that he is still young/developing and throwing him under the bus almost after every game is hating. Wanting him out of the team when you all know that he is young, still learning and that he needs some time to flourish is also hating.

You want proof? Just check on the topics on the Fan zone section.
Nah still not hating. Who besides people with emotional attachments want to see a player going backwards instead of forwards? That's not hate that's some seeing regression and not wanting to be stuck with it. Dak would've been better off having a Goff or Wentz first season than the one he had. At least with them they are going from bad to good while Dak is going the opposite way.

I'm tired of the young junk excuse too. He's been in the league three years now this youth stuff has to stop. If he was any good nobody would even mention he's in year three. That's something that's mainly mentioned when someone isn't good as a deflection. He's had two offseasons to work on things that have been a problem before he steeped into the league so "youth" doesn't fly with me for him or anybody tbh. Lastly like I tell all you over users of the word hate the qb always gets more praise and blame than they should. Don't start looking to switch it up now because someone you like is getting criticized. He plays better guess what nobody will complain as much and it's really that simple.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Dak had garrett, Romo had garrett, except Romo had Parcells for a couple of years.

also Romo came from a very small division II program. Dak came from a major college program and he was Heisman candidate...

and to your last point, the state of NFL is different. passing has become the norm and 5000 passers have happened and 4000 is very achievable and several get it every year....Dak should have a much easier time passing. he struggles mightily.

Dak had an all world OL his first two years...Romo didn't

Exactly. Even more differences and more reasons why this comparison doesn't show as much as people want it.

I see that you're trying to subtly say Dak sucks by mentioning his advantages over Romo, but I never claimed anything one way or the other about how good they each are.

So thank you for helping make my point, this comparison is bananas.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I don't think you understand the difference. I'm not judging Prescott off passing totals, TDs, or INTs. I'm criticizing the way he is not developing with his mechanics and footwork.

The same things I called him out for in 2016 when every said he was playing well is still true today. You get Romo, even after his third year, we still changing his mechanics and experimenting until the day he retired?

In Romo's third year, he actually LOOKED like an NFL QB. Dak still looks like a rookie making rookie mistakes with the fundamentals. This goes back to college.

Take away all the stats - that's a bigger problem. "Thrown to the wolves" is a myth, you either got it or you don't. You either improve or you don't. Romo did, Dak hasn't. It is what it is.

how do you know he looked like an NFL QB when he never took the field in an NFL game?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Exactly. Even more differences and more reasons why this comparison doesn't show as much as people want it.

I see that you're trying to subtly say Dak sucks by mentioning his advantages over Romo, but I never claimed anything one way or the other about how good they each are.

So thank you for helping make my point, this comparison is bananas.
its not apples to apples. its apples to oranges, but its both fruits..its not apples to a chair!!!!.there is some legitimacy to the comparison. There are ways to make the two eras match up and some articles I have read do that and it may not be accurate, but it makes it red apples compared to green apples.....

what is evident if you trust your eyes is that Dak just doesn't have it. something is missing. you could see the potential in Romo and you could see he is growing and the skills. It culminated with him pretty much carrying the team, evident from when we went 12-4 to 4-12 when he got injured, oh by the way two of the wins came when he played early in the year....

With Dak its always a struggle. numbers and stats are for accountants and statisticians. you let football ability decide on players being good or bad and right now it doesn't seem like we can trust Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It was Romo not letting his wrs practice with him while he was brokeback mountaining with Witten. Then Romo cried to Jerry and TO was gone. TO still had a 1,000 yard season in 08
TO as a teammate sucked. he got booted from SF. he got booted from Eagles. He got booted from Cowboys and he ended up with a couple of other teams.... its not about individual achievements.....that gets you to the probowl...its about team achievements....and TO wasn't part of the team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How many more practices did Romo have under his belt before his first 39 career starts? You are trying to be cute by seeming to compare apples to apples but that's not what you are doing at all. The time Romo was allowed to ripen without starting matters. Your premise is not a fair comparison so I don't know what you think you are proving.
so maybe we should bench Dak and just let him learn from the sideline, get his act together and focus on his improvements...then in a couple of years, lets give him a shot...

you know Geoff, Wentz all started from the beginning. so did Wilson.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Forgetting numbers and just going with a feel. I remember when Romo started I thought his release was odd. I remember being disappointed how quickly Parcells gave up on Henson and people said he threw 3/4 like a 3rd baseman and then I saw the same thing in Romo and was confused why it was ok for him. Romo got better. Dak throws slow, sometimes I feel myself seeing a pass and thinking the ball takes too long to get to the receiver Hopefully he can get better. I just have a different gut feeling about Dak than Romo at the same point. Besides the slow release I feel he hands the ball off awkwardly. I feel he is too concerned with avoiding interceptions, and I think he is too quick to move his focus to wanting to run. I hope he wins 6 super bowls for us, but I dont see him winning 1. Let's see because he sure is going to get a shot.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Romo had 3 years to learn the game from the bench. Dak played as a true rookie starter.

Romo QB role model was Brett Farve growing up in WS, so he takes risk. Dak was raised to be a Cowboys fan. So Troy Aikman and Staubach were his role models.

So what does this comparison really tell you about Dak Prescott?
tells me Romo was the better QB......Romo sat on the bench for 3 years, he also played 4 years in Division II football. Dak played in a major college program, was Heisman candidate and his team was ranked #1 in the nation at one point....so he had much better coaching in college than Romo ever received until he got drafted.

the same problems and issues you read about Dak in college are the exact issues he is having today...which tells me he hasn't improved.

and having a role model you want to emulate is good, but doesn't mean you can be them...btw, Staubach is more Favre than you know

jblaze2004

Reaction score
He had a way better receiving corps.

This is true. Romo had some good WR cores and TE. Can't believe we went into the season with this group of WR's and TE's.
We gave Dak no help other than zeke. I will say Zeke is the best back we had in both Romo and Dak years though.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
TO as a teammate sucked. he got booted from SF. he got booted from Eagles. He got booted from Cowboys and he ended up with a couple of other teams.... its not about individual achievements.....that gets you to the probowl...its about team achievements....and TO wasn't part of the team.
Listen to crayon tell the story you are wrong. Romo snubbed the wr group to have alone sexy time with Witten. They told TO who was the leader of that group. Romo and to had some words about it. Then TO was gone

BoysForLife

Reaction score
This is true. Romo had some good WR cores and TE. Can't believe we went into the season with this group of WR's and TE's.
We gave Dak no help other than zeke. I will say Zeke is the best back we had in both Romo and Dak years though.

Early on that's true. The presence of Owens alone makes the 07 and 08 wide receiver Corps better than the current group

Problem with your argument here is by 2009 -2011 the Cowboys receiver Corps was mostly jags and Romo still hung great numbers up. Imagine Daks stat line if his top targets were Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson and Kevin Ogletree

BoysWin

Reaction score
A few notes:

*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Go to YPA and ROMO has the worst OL in the history of the Dallas Cowboy franchise. Without Romo, DAL W-L records would had mirrored CLE.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Early on that's true. The presence of Owens alone makes the 07 and 08 wide receiver Corps better than the current group

Problem with your argument here is by 2009 -2011 the Cowboys receiver Corps was mostly jags and Romo still hung great numbers up. Imagine Daks stat line if his top targets were Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson and Kevin Ogletree

Austin was pretty darn good that one year lol btw his name was changed to Miles "Hamstrings" Austin.

Lets not forget to had in Jason Witten he was pretty good I must say. Dak has no wr's and no TE's thats the problem. lol Romo always had witten at the very least. A good TE is a QB, especially young qb, Best friend and we gave Dak the worst TE group in the nfl.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
You can make arguments either way. I'm not dak advocate but you could also argue until now he really hasn't had a number 1 option at wr.

My problem with dak is early on this year he doesn't seem like he was getting better. Although the past couple of games (without the fumbles) he's been pretty good.

dak is a conservative qb by nature. However he will take chances when he's in rhythm. He can make plays, the coaching staff just has to learn to trust him more in games.

Ken

Reaction score
Go to YPA and ROMO has the worst OL in the history of the Dallas Cowboy franchise. Without Romo, DAL W-L records would had mirrored CLE.
I already addressed earlier in this thread that romo had 2 pro bowlers in 2006 and 3 in 07+08.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A few notes:

Romo

Prescott

Throw in Romo had 3 years under Tuna before he played a snap and Dak’s had no coaching at all and started day one.