First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

Ken

Reaction score
I give you Dez then, but I do remember romo pointing out where Dak should throw the ball for Dez to catch during a broadcast. So its not like the lack of numbers there is all on Dez. As for you mentioning Whitten when trying to portray how bad Dak has had it here. Well Whitten along with Beasley were Dak's main weapons in 2016. And Whitten was solid in 2017 too. Whitten has never been the problem here. As for dak having no receivers to throw to now, I guess that all will be answered in the next game, when we have Cooper and Dak has no excuses.
I mean...his weapons weren't bad by any means in 2016...they were good. They just lacked the explosive player to stretch the defense. Tomo lacked it in 2014 too..

I have been calling for it for years...

starcity214

Reaction score
The best starting QB situation of anyone in history?

Wow the exxageration is unbelievable.

Who had it easier?

The bar was set so low for Dak that his only job was to go out there and not lose the game.

People don't understand how easy it is to know that you aren't viewed as some messiah type QB like the Wentz's and Mayfield's of the world...

And that strategy played right into Dak's strengths as a conservative bus driver.

Look at the stats , most of Dak's completions were on 2nd and short or 3rd and short and that allowed him to throw safe passes all year.
Heck, I believe 20 of his TD passes were inside the Red Zone (could have been Zeke rushing TDs) so if anything, It was the perfect storm.

2016 was the best situation for any QB that I can remember.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
That was my whole point.

Why wasn't Owens a world beaters with Drew Bledsoe?

Romo and Bledsoe had the exact same team and coordinators and yet, we know how Bledsoe looked..

A QB can make that much of a difference...

That's what you guys fail to u understand.

I know it's easy to blame coaching and the WRs but it all really does come down to the QB.

Look at Tampa Bay, that team is stacked and Winston still sucks! Fitzgerald, an average QB , makes them a juggernaut when he's on his good days.

I have no doubt in my mind that a competent QB would have us competing for a super bowl with our defense and running game..
Owens also averaged a mere 3 catches and 40 yards per game in the three games Romo missed in 2008.
Dak slobberers also hilariously act like Owens was here for ten years or something. He was here as long as Kevin Ogletree...

Ken

Reaction score
That was my whole point.

Why wasn't Owens a world beaters with Drew Bledsoe?

Romo and Bledsoe had the exact same team and coordinators and yet, we know how Bledsoe looked..

A QB can make that much of a difference...

That's what you guys fail to u understand.

I know it's easy to blame coaching and the WRs but it all really does come down to the QB.

Look at Tampa Bay, that team is stacked and Winston still sucks! Fitzgerald, an average QB , makes them a juggernaut when he's on his good days.

I have no doubt in my mind that a competent QB would have us competing for a super bowl with our defense and running game..
well ya...not saying romo wasn't great. Bledsoe was done...much like E-lie now. Can't move.

He only played with Drew for 5 games though and had 4 tds...3 in one game . So he wasn't horrible by any means.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Listen to crayon tell the story you are wrong. Romo snubbed the wr group to have alone sexy time with Witten. They told TO who was the leader of that group. Romo and to had some words about it. Then TO was gone
so TO's ego was hurt because Romo and Witten were friends and went on vacation together!!!! TO created sides that didn't exist and put the WR on one side and Romo/Witten on the other and devided the locker room and the team...that's being devisive...who gives an F who went on vacation with whom..... go to practice, do your work, show up on game day, do your job....TO wasn't a leader. he was the gossip guy that every company has who stands by the water cooler and gossips and finds fault with everything.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You can make arguments either way. I'm not dak advocate but you could also argue until now he really hasn't had a number 1 option at wr.

My problem with dak is early on this year he doesn't seem like he was getting better. Although the past couple of games (without the fumbles) he's been pretty good.

dak is a conservative qb by nature. However he will take chances when he's in rhythm. He can make plays, the coaching staff just has to learn to trust him more in games.
how many #1s are there really in the league? and some QBs make WRs into #1s...… Dak obviously needs one for him to be any good...I wonder what are the dak lover excuses when this cooper experiment fails.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Who had it easier?

The bar was set so low for Dak that his only job was to go out there and not lose the game.

People don't understand how easy it is to know that you aren't viewed as some messiah type QB like the Wentz's and Mayfield's of the world...

And that strategy played right into Dak's strengths as a conservative bus driver.

Look at the stats , most of Dak's completions were on 2nd and short or 3rd and short and that allowed him to throw safe passes all year.
Heck, I believe 20 of his TD passes were inside the Red Zone (could have been Zeke rushing TDs) so if anything, It was the perfect storm.

2016 was the best situation for any QB that I can remember.

I’m not the one making the absolutely ridiculous assertion.

You realize that is the equivalent of saying it was the best offense ever constructed, sans, the QB position. In the history of the NFL? The same offense that, other than the addition of Zeke and Dak, went 4-12 the prior year?

The same offense that two years later, the #1 WR isn’t on an NFL roster. The TE is retired due to age. The #2 WR was always a mediocre WR.

But besides Dak, that offense was the best offense ever assembled in the history of the NFL?

Pffftt

A great situation for a QB? Sure. Best in the history of the NFL? Yeah right.

Reactions: Ken

uvaballa

Reaction score
Not really surprised. That 2007 team had a lot of young talent too.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Romo's passer rating was in the 90s each year, including 97.4 his second year. His completion percentage was 65.3 and 64.4 his first two years and his overall numbers during that time are hurt by 2008, when Garrett dumped his offensive line and replaced it with players like Phil Costa. Even in that third year, though, he had a 91.4 QB rating.

Sacks are a combination of poor protection, quarterbacks not feeling pressure and getting the ball out, quarterbacks not reading the defense and getting the ball out quickly. Romo had a very quick release.

Dak's numbers are inflated by his first year, when he had a 67.8 completion percentage and fanastic TD-to-int. ratio, which led to a 104.9 QB rating. He regressed to 62.9 percent in 2017 and an 86.6 rating, and its at 62.1 percent and 87.4 this year.

The information you've provided is very skewed to make Dak look better than the reality of his numbers. One of these quarterbacks had a "hiccup" year, the other has shown clear signs of regression.

I'm remembering my years wrong. Our line in 2008 still consisted of Adams, Kosier, Gurode, Davis and Colombo. A big reason for Romo's dip in play was that he broke his right pinkie finger. We were 4-1 at that point.

Through those first five weeks, Romo had completed 64.2 percent of his passes and had a 100.4 QB rating.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
When did Romo run TO outta here? TO had mental issues and ran himself out of here.
Crayton tells the story. Romo was doing routes with witten. Wrs asked if they could join romo said nah cuz him and witt were gonna have sexy time afterward. Wrs tell TO who is the leader of that unit. TO approaches Romo they have a disagreement. TO gets booted. TO was just sticking up for the other guys that wanted to get some extra training time in with their Qb.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
how many #1s are there really in the league? and some QBs make WRs into #1s...… Dak obviously needs one for him to be any good...I wonder what are the dak lover excuses when this cooper experiment fails.
So you don't want to see Dak succeed? Like how can people be fans of old players that couldn't stay healthy and retired. But won't cheer for the current team? There's deep seeded hatred for one guy over the other. Those folks need help.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Zeke wasn't close to 2000 yards stop lying man. WItten was washed up to. You could make a case 2007 team had more talent.
It's a no brainer 2007 was the best team since 93. Easily. The Romosexuals will never admit it.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Crayton tells the story. Romo was doing routes with witten. Wrs asked if they could join romo said nah cuz him and witt were gonna have sexy time afterward. Wrs tell TO who is the leader of that unit. TO approaches Romo they have a disagreement. TO gets booted. TO was just sticking up for the other guys that wanted to get some extra training time in with their Qb.

Well its hard to take the comment seriously when you add things like "were gonna have sexy time afterward." with the narrative. The thing here though is: TO is a proven locker room cancer. He has had problems with every NFL quarterback he has ever played for. Jeff Garcia, McNabb, Tony Romo. And the problems with locker room cancers is that they get young impressionable players to become their followers and look up to them, and those players tend to take their side on things. I remember what was said on the media back then. To complaining about Whitten getting most of the throws, but then it turned out that he actually got most of the balls thrown to him, but he had the habbit of dropping them. And if there was a case where Crayton approached romo to join in with whitten to practice routes. There a few things to remember. 1) Romo is a known Jokester. 2) He was already working on routes with Whitten doing a 1 on 1 thing. I mean does Crayton run the same routes as a tight end would? would it make sense to practice together. can't he just wait his turn? I'm sure we all been at work training somebody something, and someone walks up and asks for some help, interrupting, and well it is damn hard to train two people on two different things, routes have you. It would seem doubly so in football.

starcity214

Reaction score
I’m not the one making the absolutely ridiculous assertion.

You realize that is the equivalent of saying it was the best offense ever constructed, sans, the QB position. In the history of the NFL? The same offense that, other than the addition of Zeke and Dak, went 4-12 the prior year?

The same offense that two years later, the #1 WR isn’t on an NFL roster. The TE is retired due to age. The #2 WR was always a mediocre WR.

But besides Dak, that offense was the best offense ever assembled in the history of the NFL?

Pffftt

A great situation for a QB? Sure. Best in the history of the NFL? Yeah right.

Maybe not the best offensive setup in history , but it was the the one where any QB could have posted a high QBR.

In other words , Dak's 2016 season wasn''t record blowing in the sense of TD passes or Yards but he did have a high completion percentage and a low INT count wich led to a ridiculously high QBR rating.

That's all Dak did in 2016... he played efficient football.

That is why I said everything was setup for him to play his conservative brand of football and he took advantage.

If any other QB's job was to go out there and throw 20 passes a game facing 2nd and short or 3rd and short with the league's best RB and OLine wouldn't they also do Well?

It is way harder to play QB knowing that you have to keep your team in the game as opposed to going out there knowing it's not on you..

Perfect conditions (playing with a lead or ahead of the chains) rarely happen in the NFL and that's what separates franchize guys from journeymen.

Last edited:

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
If Dak hadn't regressed, he would have better numbers .

Wait and see 'till he graduates from the 'Kellen Moore school of QBs' , it will end his career .

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
....And because Dak hasn't been groom might also make it true that he will never be a franchise quarterback, whereas if he had be he might have been.
You don't know what you're talking about.
VEVU4e.gif

plymkr

Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.
Thank you for your research and posting this. I am and always will be a Romo backer. I'm still holding out hope that Dak is a franchise guy like he displayed his rookie year. Two things stood out to me. Dak took a lot more sacks with a better offensive line than what Romo had. Romo had a whole lot of interceptions throwing to better receivers. So personnel has to play a role in this. Romo had better receivers and a poor running game and not as good of an o-line. Romo had Barber, Felix Jones, and another guy that split time with Barber, 2nd rounder, can't remember his name. Dak has had a great offensive line last 2 years and an okay offensive line this year with Ezekiel Elliott. But his receivers have been trash. A declining Dez and Witten and a bunch of no names.

The one common denominator they both have been cursed with is the Carrot Clapper as a coach and a poor GM that can't develop a team. My apologies to the poster that called Garrett the Carrot Clapper. No disrespect to you for stealing your joke but I couldn't stop laughing when I read it and had to use it. Lol, Carrot Clapper, I love it.