First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I liked Crayton, but Terry Glenn would not have dropped that pass in that big moment or screwed up that route in the 4th. Sucks we only got to see a few games with Glenn and Owens. What could have been.
And then Romo ran T.O. out of town after 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons with us. He would have put us over 8-8.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I don't think Dak is a total disaster, he could still be the guy, but you really should be comparing him to the Romo you benched for him. What was Romo in 2014? That's the guy you chose Dak over.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I don't think Dak is a total disaster, he could still be the guy, but you really should be comparing him to the Romo you benched for him. What was Romo in 2014? That's the guy you chose Dak over.
I look at that as a separate discussion than what the OP seems to be saying. I took it as Dak is on track to be what Romo was in his prime. But it’s clear that he’s not and that in fact he is declining in performance already just 2.5 years in.

Romo in his latter years was still a better player than Dak has been in total through his first 2.5 years but you couldn’t depend on Romo’s health. So whether to go with Romo or Dak in ‘16 and beyond is a much more nuanced question than just who is the better QB. Romo was still the better QB if you’re just talking ability alone.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Comparing these 2 is fruitless. They didn't have the same team, not even close. We had arguably the best OL in football and a RB who had over 1600 yards to kickstart Daks career. Most QB's don't have that ever and without those 2 things performing at unbelievable levels Dak flat out sucks.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And then Romo ran T.O. out of town after 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons with us. He would have put us over 8-8.

Nah, TO was on the decline at that point and was battling injuries until he retired. For whatever reason TO left, he wasn't the same player he was in 2006 and 2007 for us. Though, the official report that was released states we released TO due to poor performance in 2008. I think it was a mixture of the locker room stuff and noticing he was about to hit the wall.

He had some good games with the Bengals in 2010, but as we know, injury got him and that was it for him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I look at that as a separate discussion than what the OP seems to be saying. I took it as Dak is on track to be what Romo was in his prime. But it’s clear that he’s not and that in fact he is declining in performance already just 2.5 years in.

Romo in his latter years was still a better player than Dak has been in total through his first 2.5 years but you couldn’t depend on Romo’s health. So whether to go with Romo or Dak in ‘16 and beyond is a much more nuanced question than just who is the better QB. Romo was still the better QB if you’re just talking ability alone.

Good point. Who were Romo's RBs when he started? Julius Jones and the Barbarian. His consistent O-lineman?

He had Owens, but you can't say Dak didn't have anyone because we know if Romo was still there, Dez would be putting up stats.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Y'all are relentless. What do you SEE now? Don't come up with this crap every other week, Dak is a bottom tier QB "right now". Dak has to play his way out of this funk or be a career backup, simply.

Don't care about anything except how he plays visually for a reference. Stop Fam, this looks desperate.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Yup, and that's huge. If you take into consideration that Romo actually became a NFL coach before a NFL QB, it's not hard to see why he was so successful. Dak, not unlike Aikman, was thrown to the wolves right away. But Aikman also had a great coach and coordinaters. Dak really does deserve some slack here...

Dak needs to play better. No question. And I think he would say the same thing. He needs to show some real improvement if he is going to be given the keys to the franchise and a whole truck load of money. That said-- he needs to be given at least 3 years to show whether or not he can do it. So-- reasonably-- he gets the next 9 games to make a statement.

Then hopefully-- the FO looks at the whole picture before committing one way or the other on him. IMO-- confirmation bias has a very real chance to influence the FO to sign Dak-- for no other reason than they desperately want it to work out and catch "lightning in a bottle."

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Obviously something that should be added to the discussion.

2016-present

Defense generated 47 takeaways and team surrendered 45 giveways.

2007-2009

Defense generated 73 takeways and team surrendered 90 giveways.

* 8 games worth of statistics missing in total for 16-present. But unless our defense suddenly starts taking the ball away, and Prescott goes completly pick happy, most likely not a huge swing.

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
You old parents that just learned the word hater need to stop overusing the word out of context. Just because someone doesn't think Dak is good doesn't make them a hater. Stop with the lazy viewpoint.

True, thinking Dak is not good is not hating. Just as anybody can have an idea about anyone...

However, not seeing that he is still young/developing and throwing him under the bus almost after every game is hating. Wanting him out of the team when you all know that he is young, still learning and that he needs some time to flourish is also hating.

You want proof? Just check on the topics on the Fan zone section.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
True, thinking Dak is not good is not hating. Just as anybody can have an idea about anyone...

However, not seeing that he is still young/developing and throwing him under the bus almost after every game is hating. Wanting him out of the team when you all know that he is young, still learning and that he needs some time to flourish is also hating.

You want proof? Just check on the topics on the Fan zone section.

:hammer:Expecting Dak to play like he did as a rookie his entire career is beyond unrealistic. The guy was a fourth round pick and now we are starting to see that. That only means he will need a little more time to develop. And it didn't help that the Cowboys gave him arguably the worst receiving corps in the league until they got Amari Cooper.

Unfortunately for Dak, he set the bar so high in 2016 he will be chasing that season his entire career.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
How many 1st and 2nd round picks invested in OL in Dak era vs Romo?? Collins is basically another 1st rounder. You are looking at 4/5 positions manned by 1st or 2nd rounders for Dak.

Romo has tons of journey man in his OL most of his career. I can't believe this is even up for debate.

Yes, try again.

You’re arguing with a Dak Cowboys fan not a real Cowboys fan. Every one of his posts is about Dak or a reference to Dak.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Dak is in his third year and not showing improvement, Romo did. You don't learn about players while they are on the bench, you do when they play.

Romo improved, Dak hasn't. You can play and even play poorly and still improve fundamentally at the position, like Romo did. Dak...not so much.

I get that Romo improved. My point is that he should improve faster when he sees the field because he had 3 years to learn from some serious veteran QBs and coaches.

Idk what you do for a living but imagine the company you work for hired 2 people today: one has been job shadowing you for 3 years, the other just got to the company. Shouldn't the person you've been training for years improve faster when they start actually working?

I'd rather see Romo compared to people who had similar trajectories in terms of sitting first, such as A. Rodgers and M. Cassel. Compare Dak against people who started from day one, like R. Wilson and B. Bortles.

That's all I'm saying. The only reason Romo makes sense for this comparison is because he was also a Dallas Cowboys QB. Otherwise they have almost nothing in common:

Romo had Parcells and Phillips, Dak has Garrett.
Romo sat for 3 years, Dak started game 1 of year 1.
Romo was a total gunslinger at the time, Dak is not at all and instead tries to be methodical.
The whole roster is different, the strengths and weaknesses are different.
The state of the NFL at large is different in a vast number of ways.

Like I said I'm at best 50/50 on Dak but I don't think this comparison says anything interesting either way. Apples to oranges.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.

lets compare the last 24....was Romo improving from the first 16 to the second 16 and then the rest? how about Dak....

a lot of these is based on Dak's first year success and everyone is milking it to no end...

what will it look like after 50 starts? 60 starts.... what was Romo trending and what is Dak trending?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I get that Romo improved. My point is that he should improve faster when he sees the field because he had 3 years to learn from some serious veteran QBs and coaches.

Idk what you do for a living but imagine the company you work for hired 2 people today: one has been job shadowing you for 3 years, the other just got to the company. Shouldn't the person you've been training for years improve faster when they start actually working?

I'd rather see Romo compared to people who had similar trajectories in terms of sitting first, such as A. Rodgers and M. Cassel. Compare Dak against people who started from day one, like R. Wilson and B. Bortles.

That's all I'm saying. The only reason Romo makes sense for this comparison is because he was also a Dallas Cowboys QB. Otherwise they have almost nothing in common:

Romo had Parcells and Phillips, Dak has Garrett.
Romo sat for 3 years, Dak started game 1 of year 1.
Romo was a total gunslinger at the time, Dak is not at all and instead tries to be methodical.
The whole roster is different, the strengths and weaknesses are different.
The state of the NFL at large is different in a vast number of ways.

Like I said I'm at best 50/50 on Dak but I don't think this comparison says anything interesting either way. Apples to oranges.
Dak had garrett, Romo had garrett, except Romo had Parcells for a couple of years.

also Romo came from a very small division II program. Dak came from a major college program and he was Heisman candidate...

and to your last point, the state of NFL is different. passing has become the norm and 5000 passers have happened and 4000 is very achievable and several get it every year....Dak should have a much easier time passing. he struggles mightily.

Dak had an all world OL his first two years...Romo didn't

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Dak aint doing so bad ...

Wait till he graduates under the 'Kellen Moore Program' ... those numbers will drop real quick . They are already dropping .

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
TO ran himself out of town. First year he was gone (2009) Dallas went 11-5 and won a playoff game for the first time since 1996.
Do you think we could have gotten further in 09 or done better in the 8-8 years to follow? Imagine TO and miles Austin before miles lost his hamstrings