First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I already addressed earlier in this thread that romo had 2 pro bowlers in 2006 and 3 in 07+08.

If you're going to analyze the o lines over their first 39 games use real analysis, not a glorified fan voting based popularity contest

LT--Tyron or Flo. Both probably past their prime but I'd take Tyron. Especially in 2016 Tyron was still dominant.

LG--Kyle Kosier/Cory Procter vs Ron Leary/Conner Williams. Kosier was decent but Leary/Williams dwarfs that other combo

C--Frederick/Looney vs Gurode. Gurode was one of those pro bowlers you mentioned. Good center. And couldn't hold Freddy's jock. Advantage Dak

RG-- Leonard Davis or Zack Martin. See Gurode explanation. Davis was decent but a shadow of Zack

RT-- Marc Columbo vs Free/Lael. The ONLY position on the o lines for the first 38 games where I think Romo's Cowboys had an advantage

Conclusion: 1 position (LT) that might have been a wash but is still probably advantage Dak. 1 position (RT) that was advantage Romo. And the entire interior of the o-line with a distinct advantage for Dak in terms of talent at his disposal

Gator88

Reaction score
I already addressed earlier in this thread that romo had 2 pro bowlers in 2006 and 3 in 07+08.
There is a pretty good chance that Dallas has 2 Pro Bowlers on the oline this year, would you say they have been pretty good this year?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I don’t even want to read the rest of the first page before I fart my take out:

We’re watching exceptional mediocrity. You watch dak throw a ball into the sidelines we punt you watch the defense force a three and out and then maybe you watch us get a field goal on the next possession.

Romo was a beast. Dak is a backup qb. We’re gonna go 8-8 and he’s gonna get paid and they’re gonna change a lot of coaches and things around.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Did these two QBs play in the same situation and environment for their first 39 games?

Can you imagine Dak in some of the middle years of Romo's career when we had Phil Costa et Al on the line?

Dak has probably had the best starting QB situation of anyone in history even with the regression we've seen this year. He also plays in an era much more friendly to QBs and passing offenses.

Such a silly thread.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Romo took more chances downfield. Hence the yards and TDs to go with the int's and slightly lower %.

It is also hard to compare them still, because Romo's 13-3 season came after his first season and Dak's 13-3 season came on his first season. in one case we have a quarterback who got better from the first season to his second season. In the other case we had a quarterback who had the best rookie season in NFL history, which is great. But the question still is, was that rookie season an anomaly, because we had a gimmick quarterback who took the NFL by storm because the gimmick hadn't been figured out yet, or was it because Dak is that talented? I know there is still some debate about this. But if it was because of a gimmick then 2016 is inflating Daks numbers and we haven't had enough seasons for the sample size to become big enough to take care of the anomaly of the first season. And yeah romo had his problems too, but it is a fact that gimmicks can have short term success in the NFL. Is chip Kelly an NFL worthy coach, the mad scientist so to speak? Is Dak as good as Romo or better, or is he RG3?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Great post, Ken.

I just wanted to point out something:

Unless I'm wrong, Romo got his first start midway though his 4th season in the league. Talk about a young QB being groomed! Having Payton, Parcells and veteran QBs like Bledsoe and Testeverde as mentors?

Had Romo been thrusted into the starting role his rookie year, it would've been ugly.

That's true. And because Dak hasn't been groom might also make it true that he will never be a franchise quarterback, whereas if he had be he might have been.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Oh, and since some of you can’t help yourselves with the Romo comparisons, Romo was also WAY better than Dak at suffering catastrophic injuries.

Dak would also suffer catastrophic injuries, given some of the lines romo played under.

Ken

Reaction score
If you're going to analyze the o lines over their first 39 games use real analysis, not a glorified fan voting based popularity contest

LT--Tyron or Flo. Both probably past their prime but I'd take Tyron. Especially in 2016 Tyron was still dominant.

LG--Kyle Kosier/Cory Procter vs Ron Leary/Conner Williams. Kosier was decent but Leary/Williams dwarfs that other combo

C--Frederick/Looney vs Gurode. Gurode was one of those pro bowlers you mentioned. Good center. And couldn't hold Freddy's jock. Advantage Dak

RG-- Leonard Davis or Zack Martin. See Gurode explanation. Davis was decent but a shadow of Zack

RT-- Marc Columbo vs Free/Lael. The ONLY position on the o lines for the first 38 games where I think Romo's Cowboys had an advantage

Conclusion: 1 position (LT) that might have been a wash but is still probably advantage Dak. 1 position (RT) that was advantage Romo. And the entire interior of the o-line with a distinct advantage for Dak in terms of talent at his disposal
LOL.

I was responding to a poster's assertion that Romo was using the church league offensive line those years. Sorry but those were good to very good lines for Romo.

Not better than our 2016 line but probably on par with 2017 and much better than what we have seen this year.

Ken

Reaction score
You forget, Romo threw to Broken Dez and catch and fall down Witten too. He also elevated receivers to look better than they were.
Dez starting falling off after a leg injury in 2015. Romo barely played after 2014.

This is a joke to debate.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Early on that's true. The presence of Owens alone makes the 07 and 08 wide receiver Corps better than the current group

Problem with your argument here is by 2009 -2011 the Cowboys receiver Corps was mostly jags and Romo still hung great numbers up. Imagine Daks stat line if his top targets were Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson and Kevin Ogletree
Man could imagine if Romo doesnt run TO outta here he would have had miles and TO with Witt. Would have definitely had more playoff appearances.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Seriously though, comparing Romo to Dak is just absolute insanity. One was a gifted passer and QB with other-world innate abilities and the other is a good athlete trying to be a QB who has a hard time hitting his targets and can't feel pressure!
Agreed. I feel the same way when people try to compare Romo to QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Aikman, etc. Apples and oranges in both cases.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Dez starting falling off after a leg injury in 2015. Romo barely played after 2014.

This is a joke to debate.

I give you Dez then, but I do remember romo pointing out where Dak should throw the ball for Dez to catch during a broadcast. So its not like the lack of numbers there is all on Dez. As for you mentioning Whitten when trying to portray how bad Dak has had it here. Well Whitten along with Beasley were Dak's main weapons in 2016. And Whitten was solid in 2017 too. Whitten has never been the problem here. As for dak having no receivers to throw to now, I guess that all will be answered in the next game, when we have Cooper and Dak has no excuses.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Did these two QBs play in the same situation and environment for their first 39 games?

Can you imagine Dak in some of the middle years of Romo's career when we had Phil Costa et Al on the line?

Dak has probably had the best starting QB situation of anyone in history even with the regression we've seen this year. He also plays in an era much more friendly to QBs and passing offenses.

Such a silly thread.

The best starting QB situation of anyone in history?

Wow the exxageration is unbelievable.

starcity214

Reaction score
Owens was elite nearly everywhere he played.

That was my whole point.

Why wasn't Owens a world beaters with Drew Bledsoe?

Romo and Bledsoe had the exact same team and coordinators and yet, we know how Bledsoe looked..

A QB can make that much of a difference...

That's what you guys fail to u understand.

I know it's easy to blame coaching and the WRs but it all really does come down to the QB.

Look at Tampa Bay, that team is stacked and Winston still sucks! Fitzgerald, an average QB , makes them a juggernaut when he's on his good days.

I have no doubt in my mind that a competent QB would have us competing for a super bowl with our defense and running game..