First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Dak is in his third year and not showing improvement, Romo did. You don't learn about players while they are on the bench, you do when they play.

Romo improved, Dak hasn't. You can play and even play poorly and still improve fundamentally at the position, like Romo did. Dak...not so much.

hard to say Romo showed improvement in his third year as he never stepped on the field until his fourth year. I do believe as well that Romo was criminally underrated by many. He was the reason Garrett was .500 his first three years as HC.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
hard to say Romo showed improvement in his third year as he never stepped on the field until his fourth year. I do believe as well that Romo was criminally underrated by many. He was the reason Garrett was .500 his first three years as HC.

...this is all confirmed straight from Parcells. He talked about his rookie year until his third year.

Romo improved as a player fundamentally. This shouldn't even be a debate - this was confirmed by the coaching staff.

starcity214

Reaction score
The bottom line is this..

Opposing teams go into games against us hoping that Dak has to throw the ball..

Dak in his third year as a starter is viewed as a weak link by opposing teams...

Think about that.

That is all you have to know.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The bottom line is this..

Opposing teams go into games against us hoping that Dak has to throw the ball..

Dak in his third year as a starter is viewed as a weak link by opposing teams...

Think about that.

That is all you have to know.
You mean a 3rd year qb and the worst receiving group in the entire league including te's. Yes that's why we traded a 1.

Ken

Reaction score
Romo>>Dak. Call me a Romo lover if you want.

80 sacks for Dak with a better OL than what Romo had his entire career except for the year they went 13-3 08? That's extremely telling. Dak hold the ball too long. Sure there are lots of variables (WR, TE, RB, OL) but you'll never to make it completely apples to apples comparison. Tapes don't lie.
Romo had two pro bowlers on the OL in 2006 and 3 Pro Bowlers in 07 and 08.

Dak had 3 pro bowlers/all pros in 2016, 3 pro bowlers in 2017, and probably 1 in 18.

So try again.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Lots of players have time to "sit and watch" most don't improve.

Stephen McGee had a couple of years to learn up on the bench, I could name lots more from numerous teams but my google is broken

ksadler1

Reaction score
Romo and Dak are different types of QBs— but one fact is indisputable— Romo had the benefit of several years of learning before being the starter while Dak has not.

Yup, and that's huge. If you take into consideration that Romo actually became a NFL coach before a NFL QB, it's not hard to see why he was so successful. Dak, not unlike Aikman, was thrown to the wolves right away. But Aikman also had a great coach and coordinaters. Dak really does deserve some slack here...

Kevinicus

Reaction score
QB play in the league has changed a ton since 2006.

In 2006, Romo's 95.1 rating was 5th in the league and Dak's poor rating this year would actually put him in the top 10 just behind Brady's 87.9.

In 2018, Romo's 95.1 rating would be 17th in the league (currently 10 players with ratings over 100), and Dak's rating has him at 24th (The top 23 are all above 90).

Completion percentages have changed similarly.

In 2006, 24 players had over 10 INTs, in 2017, only 17.

Dak's trend is down. Romo's wasn't.

Just stop.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Jason Garrett go to sit on the bench and learn up for many many years and on different teams.

That alone should have made him a probowl qb

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
QB play in the league has changed a ton since 2006.

In 2006, Romo's 95.1 rating was 5th in the league and Dak's poor rating this year would actually put him in the top 10 just behind Brady's 87.9.

In 2018, Romo's 95.1 rating would be 17th in the league (currently 10 players with ratings over 100), and Dak's rating has him at 24th (The top 23 are all above 90).

Dak's trend is down. Romo's wasn't.

Just stop.
They love different era qb comparisons.

starcity214

Reaction score
You mean a 3rd year qb and the worst receiving group in the entire league including te's. Yes that's why we traded a 1.

Man it's getting to the point where it's unbearable to hear excuses..

Before Romo took over in 2006 , TO looked washed up and Witten wasn't a pro bowler.
Having a QB that can get you the ball makes all the difference.

I remember back in the day Roddy White looked like a bust until Matt Ryan got there and he started going to pro bowls.

Also , at one point , Romo had Patrick Crayton as his number two and Sam Hurd as his 3 hardly world beaters.. shall I mention Laurent Robinson? Those are nobody's that looked serviceable with a good QB. stop making excuses because Hurns , Thompson , Dez, Beasley, and Witten have produced in this league before.... it's not like Dak is playing with people off the street. You will learn the hard way that QBs make WRs and not the other way around when Dak and Cooper can't produce..

What will your excuse be then?

"Aww man, Dak needs two number one receivers"

tm1119

Reaction score
The Coaching staff can put him in an Offense that allows him to take advantage of his skills, instead of installing an Offense that does not use his natural abilities to their full potential, force him to re-learn the position.

The coaching staff can recognize the simplest of truths. Simple things like, the WR talent we had to start the season was not going to ever get it done. Simple truths like, deciding not to allow time for Dak to play with the new WRs in preseason was idiocy at the highest level. I mean, how in Blue Hell do you come to that realization when you are teaching this kid a new Offense and you have new receivers at starting positions?

What version of the truth do you want to focus on here? All of what I said above is true. None of that was fair or even kinda smart. Hard for me to lay it on Dak when you have all of this going on. Am I saying that Dak is the answer? No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you can't come to any conclusion, one way or the other, when we have such a broken leadership running things.

That's all I'm saying.

We’ll agree to disagree on how big the obstacles are/aren’t for Dak. I agree with most of what you are saying, but I think Dak’s struggles are just too bad to blame it on surrounding cast. If this was purely W-L record I wouldn’t be arguing with you at all, because I agree the FO failed majorly.

But regardless, in my opinion of course, if you need to specifically tailor your offense around your franchise QB...you don’t have a franchise QB at all. That’s something you do for backups just trying to get by. It’s not like it’s we are asking to do a ton. A lot of the reads and throws he is missing are just elementary.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
2007, 2011, 2014

I, personally, think 2009 was a better year for him despite the TD total. I think he was incredibly efficient down the stretch, but that was a great year for QB play. I think he played better than Stafford in 2011 despite TD totals, the Lions really collapsed mid season before picking it up again in the final 4 games and Stafford was a big reason for the up and down.
Reasonable. The thing about passing TDs in general is that Romo could have helped pass 99 yards in a drive and the RB runs it in for a TD.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Man it's getting to the point where it's unbearable to hear excuses..

Before Romo took over in 2006 , TO looked washed up and Witten wasn't a pro bowler.
Having a QB that can get you the ball makes all the difference.

I remember back in the day Roddy White looked like a bust until Matt Ryan got there and he started going to pro bowls.

Also , at one point , Romo had Patrick Crayton as his number two and Sam Hurd as his 3 hardly world beaters.. shall I mention Laurent Robinson? Those are nobody's that looked serviceable with a good QB. stop making excuses because Hurns , Thompson , Dez, Beasley, and Witten have produced in this league before.... it's not like Dak is playing with people off the street. You will learn the hard way that QBs make WRs and not the other way around when Dak and Cooper can't produce..

What will your excuse be then?

"Aww man, Dak needs two number one receivers"
What are you talking about? Owens had over 1,000 yards and 13 TDs. Glenn had over 1,000. Witten had over 750. Two HOFers in their prime and Glenn was damn good.
Just stop.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
...this is all confirmed straight from Parcells. He talked about his rookie year until his third year.

Romo improved as a player fundamentally. This shouldn't even be a debate - this was confirmed by the coaching staff.

of course he got better, but he was not on the field so you cannot judge learning by fire and learning on the sidelines

Sydla

Reaction score

He makes a decent point though.

I think some around here think teams focus on stopping Elliott because they don't respect our WRs. But I think it might not necessarily be that. In fact, they might not be scared of Dak being able to consistently beat them.

I think that's why I some here are misguided thinking that just dropping Cooper into our lineup totally changes how teams defend us. Teams aren't going to stop doing what they are doing until Dak proves he can get the ball to Cooper and beat them.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
of course he got better, but he was not on the field so you cannot judge learning by fire and learning on the sidelines

I don't think you understand the difference. I'm not judging Prescott off passing totals, TDs, or INTs. I'm criticizing the way he is not developing with his mechanics and footwork.

The same things I called him out for in 2016 when every said he was playing well is still true today. You get Romo, even after his third year, we still changing his mechanics and experimenting until the day he retired?

In Romo's third year, he actually LOOKED like an NFL QB. Dak still looks like a rookie making rookie mistakes with the fundamentals. This goes back to college.

Take away all the stats - that's a bigger problem. "Thrown to the wolves" is a myth, you either got it or you don't. You either improve or you don't. Romo did, Dak hasn't. It is what it is.