First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
True...and it’s a different game even from when Romo started. He ranked 2nd in completion % his first season and only 6 QBs were north of 64%

In 2016, 14 QBs had a completion % north of 64...2 were 70+

This season 22 QBs are north of 64% completions...and 5 are 70+

These cross comparisons between QBs that played at different times are always good for a laugh...but not much more.
Although we enlighten everyone to this...why do posters persist.
  1. They don’t read it
  2. Don’t understand it
  3. Don’t want to believe it
  4. Just trolling

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.

Romo's passer rating was in the 90s each year, including 97.4 his second year. His completion percentage was 65.3 and 64.4 his first two years and his overall numbers during that time are hurt by 2008, when Garrett dumped his offensive line and replaced it with players like Phil Costa. Even in that third year, though, he had a 91.4 QB rating.

Sacks are a combination of poor protection, quarterbacks not feeling pressure and getting the ball out, quarterbacks not reading the defense and getting the ball out quickly. Romo had a very quick release.

Dak's numbers are inflated by his first year, when he had a 67.8 completion percentage and fanastic TD-to-int. ratio, which led to a 104.9 QB rating. He regressed to 62.9 percent in 2017 and an 86.6 rating, and its at 62.1 percent and 87.4 this year.

The information you've provided is very skewed to make Dak look better than the reality of his numbers. One of these quarterbacks had a "hiccup" year, the other has shown clear signs of regression.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
True...and it’s a different game even from when Romo started. He ranked 2nd in completion % his first season and only 6 QBs were north of 64%

In 2016, 14 QBs had a completion % north of 64...2 were 70+

This season 22 QBs are north of 64% completions...and 5 are 70+

These cross comparisons between QBs that played at different times are always good for a laugh...but not much more.
Thanks for the great info....I like it !

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Certainly possible. As I said they were good players.

But, the fact remains that TO and Witten weren't able to "open up as many opportunities" for Bledsoe, as they were for Romo.
The numbers don't lie, friend.

Witten, 05 --66 catches. Witten 06, 64 catches. Witten 07, 96 catches.

TO, in 2007 at age 34, had arguably the 2nd best season of his entire career. Caught 81 balls. Finished with 1355 yards, only 100 yards short of his best career total (2000 season with NIners, 1451 yards). 15 TD (1 short of his career high, 2001 in SF). and his 16.7 yards per reception was the highest total of his career. All of this at age 34.

TO caught passes from HOF Steve Young for his first 4 seasons. And arguably he had a better season at age 34, catching balls from Romo, than he ever did catching balls from Steve Young.

Yes, TO I'm sure benefitted Romo. But you could make a really strong argument that TO benefitted more FROM Romo.

Ask yourself honestly. Take today's Dak Prescott and put him on the 2007 Cowboys. do you believe, in your heart of hearts, that TO goes for 1350 yards and 13 TD on almost 17 yards per reception?
Owens was elite nearly everywhere he played.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I haven't watched the all-22 on the Raiders, but the PFF on the Cooper trade stated the problems going on in Oakland are the same problems we are having - a QB that isn't getting the ball to receivers when they are open downfield.

I don't see Cooper making much of an impact at all.

I question this because the stats don't indicate that this is the problem in Oakland. JMO

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Certainly possible. As I said they were good players.

But, the fact remains that TO and Witten weren't able to "open up as many opportunities" for Bledsoe, as they were for Romo.
The numbers don't lie, friend.

Witten, 05 --66 catches. Witten 06, 64 catches. Witten 07, 96 catches.

TO, in 2007 at age 34, had arguably the 2nd best season of his entire career. Caught 81 balls. Finished with 1355 yards, only 100 yards short of his best career total (2000 season with NIners, 1451 yards). 15 TD (1 short of his career high, 2001 in SF). and his 16.7 yards per reception was the highest total of his career. All of this at age 34.

TO caught passes from HOF Steve Young for his first 4 seasons. And arguably he had a better season at age 34, catching balls from Romo, than he ever did catching balls from Steve Young.

Yes, TO I'm sure benefitted Romo. But you could make a really strong argument that TO benefitted more FROM Romo.

Ask yourself honestly. Take today's Dak Prescott and put him on the 2007 Cowboys. do you believe, in your heart of hearts, that TO goes for 1350 yards and 13 TD on almost 17 yards per reception?
Yes. With that coaching staff and personnel. That was the most talented cowboys team since 93.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yep.
And yet, had his 2nd best season--ever--at age 34 catching balls from a first year starter.

Probably just dumb luck.
You are looking at this through the wrong lens. 2 hall of famers propped Romo up. Not the other way around.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You are looking at this through the wrong lens. 2 hall of famers propped Romo up. Not the other way around.

Yet during their time in Dallas their numbers were significantly worse when Romo was not their quarterback

Yes that includes Witten’s numbers catching balls from Prescott

Sydla

Reaction score
I question this because the stats don't indicate that this is the problem in Oakland. JMO

What stats indicate that Carr isn't throwing to open WRs down the field?

Honest question.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Yes. With that coaching staff and personnel. That was the most talented cowboys team since 93.

Offensive coordinator was our current head coach. Interesting to hear you singing the praises of that staff. I’ll remember that the next time you blame this staff for Prescott’s failures

Dak had Bryant, 7 years younger than TO was in 07 and Dez numbers went in the tank so bad, he had to be run out of town on a rail to provide cover for Prescott

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What stats indicate that Carr isn't throwing to open WRs down the field?

Honest question.

Completion %, it's at 72% so he is clearly completing passes at a much better then average clip. He's throwing to somebody who is open.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Ask yourselves this,

Third and long, how did you feel when Romo took the snap verses Dak? Felt we always have a chance

Or, down by two scores in the fourth? See above

Did you feel excited that there was at least a chance that Romo could work his magic and get it done? Yes, I just knew we'd get another comeback and that W

Do you feel the same about Dak? No to every question above with Dak. Sometimes I feel bad for him because I don't think he's always capable, but he tries. Then I think of wth he was doing when he had time and I don't feel as bad

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Offensive coordinator was our current head coach. Interesting to hear you singing the praises of that staff. I’ll remember that the next time you blame this staff for Prescott’s failures

Dak had Bryant, 7 years younger than TO was in 07 and Dez numbers went in the tank so bad, he had to be run out of town on a rail to provide cover for Prescott
Dez is unemployed. And isn't a first ballot hall of famer. Did you really just compare Dez to the 2nd best WR to ever play this game?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Dez is unemployed. And isn't a first ballot hall of famer. Did you really just compare Dez to the 2nd best WR to ever play this game?

TO was better than Dez I have no problem admitting that

But Dez Was a top producing franchise receiver. Part of the reason he’s unemployed now is because of the guy throwing him the ball

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
TO was better than Dez I have no problem admitting that

But Dez Was a top producing franchise receiver. Part of the reason he’s unemployed now is because of the guy throwing him the ball
Yeh that's right the reason no teams are lining up in front of his door is Prescott's fault. Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Completion %, it's at 72% so he is clearly completing passes at a much better then average clip. He's throwing to somebody who is open.

Maybe I misread his point but I think he was talking about downfield passes and not just passes in general.