First Round Running Backs

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Zeke doesnt lead the league in rushing and at least match what Murray did, then this pick was far and away a major mistake.
For starters, EE won't get nearly enough carries to match what Murray did. Additionaly Murray couldn't have repeated what he did again that is how uniqure his 2014 was.

erod

Reaction score
For starters, EE won't get nearly enough carries to match what Murray did. Additionaly Murray couldn't have repeated what he did again that is how uniqure his 2014 was.

Let's hope they don't abuse him like they did Murray. They won't have to.

Zeke won't NEED as many carries as Murray. He'll finish or extend runs that Murray could not. Zeke can get 100 yards in fewer carries than Murray can, and he's a touchdown machine.

Murray was a fine back, especially when it came to tough yards and short yardage. But he carried the ball in a fumbler's position, and he just couldn't find that fifth gear. He's just not elite, despite that one-year wonder of a season.

jday

Reaction score
Let's hope they don't abuse him like they did Murray. They won't have to.

Zeke won't NEED as many carries as Murray. He'll finish or extend runs that Murray could not. Zeke can get 100 yards in fewer carries than Murray can, and he's a touchdown machine.

Murray was a fine back, especially when it came to tough yards and short yardage. But he carried the ball in a fumbler's position, and he just couldn't find that fifth gear. He's just not elite, despite that one-year wonder of a season.

I would add, Murray didn't have the same amount of talent behind him as Zeke does at this time. Murray carried it so much because the fall off behind him was significant when it came to all the things you ask a running back to do besides run.

erod

Reaction score
I would add, Murray didn't have the same amount of talent behind him as Zeke does at this time. Murray carried it so much because the fall off behind him was significant when it came to all the things you ask a running back to do besides run.

True.

Murray is good, and I watched every carry of his college and pro career. But much like at OU, he never was as advertised. Always just a step off of his promise, except for one year. And even in 2014, there were so many unfinished runs, capped by the most egregious mistake of the season on that shoulda-been-TD he fumbled at Lambeau.

jday

Reaction score
I don't think he's saying Zeke has to rush for 1,800 yards every year. He's saying that Murray ran for 1,800 and was a 3rd round pick.

I'm not really sure what the argument is here, to be honest.

Even those that love Zeke (I think he's a fantastic player) must be capable of admitting that 4 is higher than ideal for drafting a running back.

To justify the selection, Zeke is going to have to be special - and that's asking a lot.

Reggie Bush was supposed to be special and redefine the position when he was drafted 2nd overall. If Zeke has production like Reggie, I don't think that's enough.

To simply make the blanket statement, Zeke must out perform Murray's production in 2014 to justify being picked at 4th overall, is it extremely short-sighted. First of all, if the Cowboys are smart, they will spread the work load more over their stable of backs than what they in 2014 out of necessity. In 2014, with the likes of Morris and Dmac behind Zeke, there is no excuse for over-using Zeke. Second, you can't take that starts garnered from one season and compare it to another season 2 years later. Different competition, different players, different situational football, different everything and therefore that stats are not fairly comparable. Lastly, the Zeke pick was not simply about his ability to run, though that was clearly a big part of it. Quite possibly the second best thing about having a Zeke as compared to any other back the Cowboys could have possibly drafted this year, is that he is not a situational running back; the Cowboys do not tip their hand in terms of intentions offensively.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
All he has to too is be better this year than Murray was last year and how Murray will do this year. Murray got million/year and Zeke got 6 million/year. Realistically Murray will never repeat his performance of 2014...Too injury prone and too many touches, he is a used old car.

I completely agree on Murray. But unless Zeke can prove worthy of the 4th pick, it was poor value. Murray was a good back, nothing more. If Zeke cant perform better than that then his production could have been done by any good back. He MUST be a huge difference maker. More TD's and more long TD's than Murray had.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Again, you're being quite short sighted.

Murray's production from 2014 was not sustainable even for Murray and that was the reason not to pay him 8.4 million dollars a year. You have to look at his age and anticipated decline.

The lower cost plus higher expected future performance is what is the key here.

I never wanted them to resign Murray. I dont even know what your talking about at this point. Go back and read again.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
why's that

Because we could have been top 5 in rushing with Mcfadden and Morris, Miller and Morris or a 3rd round back and Morris. So unless Zeke can do much better what was the point of wasting the 4th pick on him? We could have used on the defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Maybe. But can they generate the buzz and jersey sales Zeke can?

Half shirts on sale now in the pro shop. Get yours while supplies last.

You just nailed it. It was a Jerry flash pick for sales and hope. And its working magically. All the cheerleader fans are dreaming of Zeke running with the ball.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

If they go by RB by committee they are idiots. And again, then they wasted the pick. This kid has completely dominate and give us something we didnt have with the other good backs we have had.

I think you are wrong. I think Zeke gets 25 touches a game and maybe more. They did it with Murray and they did it with McFadden. They will rest him sparingly and in blowouts. Remember they are "winning now". With this defense it will come down to the 4th quarter in most games.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
To simply make the blanket statement, Zeke must out perform Murray's production in 2014 to justify being picked at 4th overall, is it extremely short-sighted. First of all, if the Cowboys are smart, they will spread the work load more over their stable of backs than what they in 2014 out of necessity. In 2014, with the likes of Morris and Dmac behind Zeke, there is no excuse for over-using Zeke. Second, you can't take that starts garnered from one season and compare it to another season 2 years later. Different competition, different players, different situational football, different everything and therefore that stats are not fairly comparable. Lastly, the Zeke pick was not simply about his ability to run, though that was clearly a big part of it. Quite possibly the second best thing about having a Zeke as compared to any other back the Cowboys could have possibly drafted this year, is that he is not a situational running back; the Cowboys do not tip their hand in terms of intentions offensively.

I don't disagree with any of your arguments.

It still doesn't change the fact that 4th overall is high for a running back and that a lot it riding on Zeke being more than "good" and/or "well rounded".

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I don't think he's saying Zeke has to rush for 1,800 yards every year. He's saying that Murray ran for 1,800 and was a 3rd round pick.

I'm not really sure what the argument is here, to be honest.

Even those that love Zeke (I think he's a fantastic player) must be capable of admitting that 4 is higher than ideal for drafting a running back.

To justify the selection, Zeke is going to have to be special - and that's asking a lot.

Reggie Bush was supposed to be special and redefine the position when he was drafted 2nd overall. If Zeke has production like Reggie, I don't think that's enough.

That's exactly what he said.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
A truer definition of "fair weather fan" could not be written.

Nope... a fair whether fan only cheers when the team is winning, but that's not me. I may complain a lot in the off season but come the season, I am there through thick and thin. Good times and bad, no matter what I am true blue.

jday

Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of your arguments.

It still doesn't change the fact that 4th overall is high for a running back and that a lot it riding on Zeke being more than "good" and/or "well rounded".

I don't disagree with you...but I would add that alot should be expected of any player drafted 4th overall.

My primary contention is if you expect 2014 Murray numbers, you will likely be disappointed...especially if the Cowboys coaches are smart about it this go around. By the end of the 2014 season, Murray was a shell of his 16-games-prior self.