Audio: First Take: Troy Aikman "Pay Dak Prescott ASAP"

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Dak is right in the thick of MVP conversation and there are fans/posters saying I wanna see just a little more. Just a couple more games........how the hell does that sound after he's shut down their narratives ( talking plural here) for over 3 and half years. I'm sorry, but if he's proven you wrong down to a few/ couple games, what the hell does that tell ya. (lol).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It is relatively new, without question, but it is so far above what a "bus driver" does. and he is doing it so successfully, that it really doesn't make much sense to believe he will suddenly fade into being a 225 yard per game QB. A year ago the story was he was incapable anything remotely close to what he is doing now, and now that he is averaging 322 yards the story is he is going to dramatically fall from what he is doing now. Hell, he could decrease his yardage total by 60-70 yards a game and he woustill be above what people were saying he could do.

All that said, if Zeke were more consistent week to week Dak would not be averaging 332 yards per game, but he is clearly playing at a different level, and with more confidence and in an offense that allows him to throw downfield more.

N o, we don't all know this. This is what you "know" because it is what you want to believe.

Sure he is unlikely to keep up a 322 yard per game pace, but there is no reason to think he will fall into a 220-203 yard per game pace. We're looking at 10 games here, not a fluke where 1 or 2 games can skew the numbers. Besides, if you can't see this is a more aggressive passing offense with a more confident Dak you simply are choosing not to see.

I don't agree. I mean, you may end up being 100% correct and he has shown that he can put up good numbers but I really haven't seen that he can carry the team over good Defenses. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to see this if you are the organization. Even from a fans point of view, it would seem a reasonable desire.

I agree that if the running game were putting out more, then it would not be necessary for Dak to perform at such a level but we don't know that this is not by design. I mean, you would think that the team would want to stick to what we do best, which is run block and run the ball but we don't know that for a fact. I mean, a lot of this is more then just Zeke running up in there. Run calls based on game situations, based on defensive alignment, based on down and distance, where you are at in the game, all of these things effect AYPC and overall production in the run game. Basically, do we have an OC who is trying to feature Dak and his arm and if so, is he using the run game to set up that passing game? Of, do we have an OC who is going to continue to lead us as a run first team and is simply trying to feature the pass now because he realizes that opposing Defenses are keying too much on the run game and it is less productive because of that. Basically, trying to establish more balance and force Ds to play us honest? I honestly don't know yet. Haven't seen enough from our OC to understand who and what he is yet.

Either way, I think it's very reasonable to say that Dak has come a long way from where he was at last season and it is a marked improvement IMO. However, I do believe he has things he still has to show in order to be considered a top QB in the league. I think it's reasonable to want to see him show these things. That's just my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
How many years have we been saying, get a BETTER coordinator? Now change the stupid coach, and watch us win a Title.

At least 10 years, when we hired an OC with no experience, for me.

NorTex

Reaction score
Romo didn't fare well against good defenses in 2007 or 2009 in the playoffs. Good grief, just pay Dak already!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You still show your face around here?

He's a member of the board. Last I checked, we as posters, don't call the shots on "who can show their face around here". We have a staff who's job it is to decide those kinds of things and there is a process for it. Everybody has opinions, regardless of if we might agree with them or not. I think it's important to understand that everybody is welcome to present those ideas, until they aren't and those kinds of decision are not made by us. I know you know this. I'm just kinda restating the obvious.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Romo didn't fare well against good defenses in 2007 or 2009 in the playoffs. Good grief, just pay Dak already!
Right. Romo struggled against good defenses, too. It's not uncommon for players to play worse against good defenses than they do against bad defenses. I would think that conclusion would be pretty logical but biases need defending.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Why asap? Be like the Colts and overpay for a QB that only beats bad teams?

InTheZone

Reaction score
Dak is right in the thick of MVP conversation and there are fans/posters saying I wanna see just a little more. Just a couple more games........how the hell does that sound after he's shut down their narratives ( talking plural here) for over 3 and half years. I'm sorry, but if he's proven you wrong down to a few/ couple games, what the hell does that tell ya. (lol).
You know we were ranked in the mid 20s in passing for the 3 prior seasons. And just now are we seeing top results. Let us see some work against good teams before saying he's worth the fattest contract.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score

I would assume to avoid anymore inflation, and avoid overpaying him more.

You've got folks like Mahomes coming up that will get asinine, genuinely insane contracts that will push the "Too 10" QB contract value up even further than it has the right to be.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My disconnect? How so? I have been on record, since last year, that the Cowboys believe Dak is the Franchise guy. So if there is no more Beer and I am sober, it's because the party started long before this thread and I've since had my fill of drink and have gone home to get sleep, eat food and am over the hangover. Maybe it's not me who is late to the party.

:thumbup:

Another 400 yard, 3 TD game for Dak. How is that for average bus driver eh?

kento40

Reaction score
I'm not a Dak fan, but the man is putting up MVP numbers and in my opinion he should have got paid before Tank. Actually him and Coop should get paid before anyone on this horrendous defense. The longer Dak plays, especially with Zeke looking pedestrian out there, the more he will cost which will only make locking up the other pieces that much more difficult.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
That's exactly why beating the Pats is so vital. Dak would surely surpass either JaMarcus or Patrick, if not both for MVP consideration.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In past years the argument was the winning is a team thing, not just a QB think, and that Dak couldn't throw well enough to move the offense if the running game wasn't carrying the load.

NOW the argument is that winning is on the QB and moving the ball with his arm doesn't matter.

Hmmmmmm …..

InTheZone

Reaction score
In past years the argument was the winning is a team thing, not just a QB think, and that Dak couldn't throw well enough to move the offense if the running game wasn't carrying the load.

NOW the argument is that winning is on the QB and moving the ball with his arm doesn't matter.

Hmmmmmm …..
Dak is playing very good, no where near MVP level though as I believe he still has too many unforced errors given his overall excellent pass protection.

I still question his too many passes that hit defenders in the hands, go 10 yards out of bounds, or just hit the ground. I look at scheme as the biggest reason for his success. Doesn't mean he's not progressing, but ranking mid 20s for 3 straight years under Linehan and now top 5 under Moore causes some question as to where most of the success comes from.

Only beating bad teams and standing out for 1 year after his rookie year doesnt help me side towards his side if it comes to if he's legit. He's not bad, but how good and for how long?

Just my opinion of course.

Qcard

Reaction score
I don't agree. I mean, you may end up being 100% correct and he has shown that he can put up good numbers but I really haven't seen that he can carry the team over good Defenses. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to see this if you are the organization. Even from a fans point of view, it would seem a reasonable desire.

I agree that if the running game were putting out more, then it would not be necessary for Dak to perform at such a level but we don't know that this is not by design. I mean, you would think that the team would want to stick to what we do best, which is run block and run the ball but we don't know that for a fact. I mean, a lot of this is more then just Zeke running up in there. Run calls based on game situations, based on defensive alignment, based on down and distance, where you are at in the game, all of these things effect AYPC and overall production in the run game. Basically, do we have an OC who is trying to feature Dak and his arm and if so, is he using the run game to set up that passing game? Of, do we have an OC who is going to continue to lead us as a run first team and is simply trying to feature the pass now because he realizes that opposing Defenses are keying too much on the run game and it is less productive because of that. Basically, trying to establish more balance and force Ds to play us honest? I honestly don't know yet. Haven't seen enough from our OC to understand who and what he is yet.

Either way, I think it's very reasonable to say that Dak has come a long way from where he was at last season and it is a marked improvement IMO. However, I do believe he has things he still has to show in order to be considered a top QB in the league. I think it's reasonable to want to see him show these things. That's just my opinion.
So how do you reconcile your opinion with Troy Aikman's?

Of course with the understanding of whom Troy is to the Dallas Cowboys and the NFL.

What more do you STILL need to see that Troy convenienlty ignored in coming to his opinion?