Twitter: Fish is adamant Dallas wants to trade for Jamal Adams

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The fact that they're terrible deals that will get GM's fired is entirely relevant. You just don't like the fact that it shows that moves like this are a terrible idea.

Let me know when you want to start going through the list of these moves?

Go ahead and list them

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where are you're getting your numbers? Firstly, the safety franchise tag is $11.441 million. And secondly, the change in 5th year terms under the new CBA begins with the draft class of 2018. Adams was drafted in 2017, meaning he's still under old CBA terms putting him at the transition tender of $9.86 million as a top 10 pick. If you're going to fact check, at least be right.

Under the new CBA, fifth-year options are no longer tied to draft position. A player who has made at least two Pro Bowls in his first three seasons (which Adams has) will get the guaranteed amount of the franchise tag value.

If a first-round pick makes it to the Pro Bowl twice in his first three seasons, the amount of the fifth-year option would spike to the franchise tag for his position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go ahead and list them

Start with our own on Amari Cooper.

We gave up a 1st round pick for a player entering his fourth year, with no extension worked out. We then were stuck paying top-of-the-market money based on that initial mistake.

ksg811

Reaction score
Under the new CBA, fifth-year options are no longer tied to draft position. A player who has made at least two Pro Bowls in his first three seasons (which Adams has) will get the guaranteed amount of the franchise tag value.

If a first-round pick makes it to the Pro Bowl twice in his first three seasons, the amount of the fifth-year option would spike to the franchise tag for his position.

Read my post again.

" ...the change in 5th year terms under the new CBA begins with the draft class of 2018. Adams was drafted in 2017, meaning he's still under old CBA terms..."

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

We gave up a 1st round pick for a player entering his fourth year, with no extension worked out. We then were stuck paying top-of-the-market money based on that initial mistake.
He also made two Pro Bowls.

The mistake wasnt the trade. The mistake was not extending as soon as we made the trade

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Read my post again.

" ...the change in 5th year terms under the new CBA begins with the draft class of 2018. Adams was drafted in 2017, meaning he's still under old CBA terms..."

More wrongness.

That applies to the option being guaranteed for that 2018 class.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Holy hell. If this isn't the most entertaining thread since..well, since I joined the forum? My goodness. Keep it coming y'all, this is wonderful

:popcorn:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The mistake was both.

You traded away 4 years of low cost and control for 1 year.
No trading a first for Cooper a mistake. Getting two 1,000 yard season for 27th overall pick is a steal.

Anyways what else is on your list?

ksg811

Reaction score
More wrongness.

That applies to the option being guaranteed for that 2018 class.

Please refer to Article 7, section 7, subsection e, paragraph (i) of the CBA.

"For a Drafted Rookie selected with one of the first ten overall picks in the 2016 or 2017 Drafts, the Paragraph 5 Salary for the player’s Fifth-Year Option shall equal the Transition Tender that applies in the League Year that is the fourth year of the Rookie’s Contract..."

Flamma

Reaction score

The mistake wasnt the trade. The mistake was not extending as soon as we made the trade

I don't think so. Khalil Mack raped the Bears. The problem is giving up a lot for a guy that needs to be signed. You're going to pay through the nose. The quote above yours is the worst possible trade you can make, as he points out. It should only be done in desperation. Making a habit out of that is worse than signing high priced FAs.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think so. Khalil Mack raped the Bears. The problem is giving up a lot for a guy that needs to be signed. You're going to pay through the nose. The quote above yours is the worst possible trade you can make, as he points out. It should only be done in desperation. Making a habit out of that is worse than signing high priced FAs.
Khalil Mack also helped Chicago get to the playoffs for the first time in a long time. If you want to trade for and sign a DMVP, you are going to pay for it. I doubt the regret it

ksg811

Reaction score
The mistake was both.

You traded away 4 years of low cost and control for 1 year.

Control of a player is irrelevant if the player isn't good. I'd give up 4 years of Taco for Adams. I wouldn't for TJ Watt. That's the thing with the draft, it's a crap-shoot. I'll take a proven all-pro over a question mark every time. There's no realistic option at 17 I'm confident in enough to pass on an impact all-pro like Adams.

ksg811

Reaction score
No you can give me one that made good sense?

The Chiefs traded a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Frank Clark, gave him $21.1m then gave Tyrann Mathieu $14m AAV and won a superbowl. Sure, they have Mahomes but those 2 were critical pieces of the defense.

Flamma

Reaction score
Khalil Mack also helped Chicago get to the playoffs for the first time in a long time. If you want to trade for and sign a DMVP, you are going to pay for it. I doubt the regret it

I'm not saying they regret it. The dude is absolutely worth two first rounders. I'm just referring to the cost that comes with it as far as a contract. It's not something you can do on a regular basis.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Chiefs traded a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Frank Clark, gave him $21.1m then gave Tyrann Mathieu $14m AAV and won a superbowl. Sure, they have Mahomes but those 2 were critical pieces of the defense.
And the Chiefs basically traded a first for exclusive rights on Clark

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not saying they regret it. The dude is absolutely worth two first rounders. I'm just referring to the cost that comes with it as far as a contract. It's not something you can do on a regular basis.
Its all relative to the player. Mack is a DMVP and you only afford one or two players of that caliber on your defense