Twitter: Fish seems to think Earl Thomas is now in play

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Uhhhh what? If they really cared about appeasing fans, they would not have cut Dez in the first place. You don't think they knew how beloved Dez was here and what the backlash would be from a lot of fans?
Dont disagree at all...

Aven8

Reaction score
He's a stud but he's still 29. I don't see it with our philosophy.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Is this defense really one aging safety away from being good? I don't think it is. We have a defense that falls apart the second Sean Lee leaves. It's a defense that has some decent pieces at DE but overall does not have the physical presence in the middle to blow up that pocket and destroy plays. I don't expect we will be changing that until Marinelli is fired.

Carson

Reaction score
Is this defense really one aging safety away from being good? I don't think it is. We have a defense that falls apart the second Sean Lee leaves. It's a defense that has some decent pieces at DE but overall does not have the physical presence in the middle to blow up that pocket and destroy plays. I don't expect we will be changing that until Marinelli is fired.

We are good. Not great. But good.

We have some up and coming guys Chido and Lewis rounding out the secondary.

Thomas gives us a shot if/when we make the playoffs to make a run. It’s what we need seeming we are eliminated by Rodgers every time

CCBoy

Reaction score
This would be a classic Jerry reactionary move.

If Jerry for a minute, thought Thomas was the over - the - top piece needed for a trip high up in the playoffs...it would get done and almost immediately. That's not the case and there is still positional needs that a single piece and it's price won't fill.

The team as a whole needs more improvements, now...

Verdict

Reaction score
I would hate it. It's a fan move. Build through the draft.

Bringing in Thomas would be the equivalent of signing Dez 3 seasons ago. It's likely to be an overpayment in terms of draft picks and will eat up too large of a chunk of our cap.

Unless we get him for almost nothing in terms of draft pick compensation (6th or less) or he signs for Avery team friendly deal or both i would pass

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have no desire to give up even a 2nd for a 30yr old safety that is starting to get injured. I would much rather move up in the draft for James.
Mid round pick is all I would give up. You are signing him to his 3rd contract, and its going to be expensive. You run the risk of it being a real bad contract in a couple years

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
For a team whose philosophy is building through the draft, our draft picks are much too valuable to forfeit a high pick(s) for an aging vet safety on his way downhill. Let's not fall prey to another team that knows when and how to take advantage of suckers.

Seattle is smart enough to know when the time is right to entertain the idea of letting him go to their advantage. We should be smart enough not to overpay for another team's aging talent when we have far too many other pressing needs to attend to. We need to build through the draft to get the most from our most valuable resources. Let's be realistic. We are far from being one overly expensive trade away from contention.

Last edited:

dallasdave

Reaction score
For a team whose philosophy is building through the draft, our draft picks are much too valuable to forfeit a high pick(s) for an aging vet safety on his way downhill. Let's not fall prey to another team that knows when and how to take advantage of suckers.

Seattle is smart enough to know when the time is right to entertain the idea of letting him go to their advantage. We should be smart enough not to overpay for another team's aging talent when we have far too many other pressing needs to attend to. We need to build through the draft to get the most from our most valuable resources. Let's be realistic. We are far from being one overly expensive trade away from contention.
Agree, got to get OL and WR in the top of draft, then come back to middle of draft and get 3 LB's !!!

Jipper

Reaction score

I agree 100 percent but one thing I think needs consideration is that he might really help the young guys develop....dont know how to quantify that value.

I'm on record being adamantly against giving any type of valuable pick (4th or higher) for this guy at this point but would be intrigued at how he could help the young guys

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If nothing else, the locker room is screaming for more leadership, which is kinda odd for a coach that pushes the right kind guys envelope

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
I would add:

3. We're telegraphing our hand heading into the draft. Don't let the additions of Hurns and Deonta Thompson mislead anyone in thinking we're set at WR.
There isn't a WR in this draft that has a top 10 upside and that means that they will need a couple seasons to produce. Forcing a WR is the 1st is a Jerry move and I think we are beyond that now. We need a LB, OG or a top flight safety more than q reach WR IMO.

Jipper

Reaction score
If nothing else, the locker room is screaming for more leadership, which is kinda odd for a coach that pushes the right kind guys envelope
How do you know this? Are you in the meetings, on the field or know the players personally?

Always cracks me up when people make assumptive blanket statements like this...

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I really don’t want to give up a second. Someone could fall and we can snag him.