Fish: Tyron Smith projected to the Jets

Sydla

Reaction score
Those that don’t know usually just laugh.

Your analysis was laughable.

You said OTs aren't worthy of a Top 10 pick because they don't win SBs, citing the Cowboys failure to win a SB. You then cited that you should take certain positions, including LB and CB, in the Top Ten because, by your theory, they win you SBs.

But actual data, using your own logic, would pick apart your ridiculous claim. I went over the last 15 drafts and quickly looked at the top ten picks in those drafts. Note these are the results for just the team that drafted them:

- 23 offensive tackles were taken. Five played in a SB (22%), and 3 played on a SB winning team (13%)
- 13 linebackers were taken. Three played in a SB (23%), and 2 won SBs (15%)
- 15 CBs were taken. ZERO ever played in a SB.

So by your own logic, in actuality, a CB should not be a Top 10 pick. Further, we actually took a CB in the Top 10 in Morris Claiborne and never made a SB with him. So it was peculiar you'd say OT is overvalued because we had Smith and never made (or won) a SB with him but then say CB is a valued Top 10 position despite the fact we also took a CB in the Top 10 and it never resulted in a SB. Why wouldn't you carry this logic beyond just Tyron Smith and the OT position?

PS - Let's also note that two of the LBs who went to SBs with their original team were Aldon Smith and Von Miller, who were really defensive end/edge players. Devin White was the other LB who won a SB as a true inside linebacker. But for sake of this, I included all LBs, even those that played on the edge and were just basically pass rushers.

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
If I was Smith, why would I go to the Jets, I'd go to the Chiefs...Least a crack at a Super Bowl...

Brooksey

Reaction score
It's Fish......but honestly, this isn't a reach but if you are the Jets, why not use the 10th pick on LT

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...llas-cowboys-aaron-rodgers-retire-free-agency

Tyron Smith Signing with Aaron Rodgers' Jets Projected; Would Cowboys Icon Rather Retire?​

Tyron Smith Signing with Aaron Rodgers' New York Jets Projected; Would Dallas Cowboys Icon Rather Retire?

Projected by who? gimme a break, Tyron not going to the Jets

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Your analysis was laughable.

You said OTs aren't worthy of a Top 10 pick because they don't win SBs, citing the Cowboys failure to win a SB. You then cited that you should take certain positions, including LB and CB, in the Top Ten because, by your theory, they win you SBs.

But actual data, using your own logic, would pick apart your ridiculous claim. I went over the last 15 drafts and quickly looked at the top ten picks in those drafts. Note these are the results for just the team that drafted them:

- 23 offensive tackles were taken. Five played in a SB (22%), and 3 played on a SB winning team (13%)
- 13 linebackers were taken. Three played in a SB (23%), and 2 won SBs (15%)
- 15 CBs were taken. ZERO ever played in a SB.

So by your own logic, in actuality, a CB should not be a Top 10 pick. Further, we actually took a CB in the Top 10 in Morris Claiborne and never made a SB with him. So it was peculiar you'd say OT is overvalued because we had Smith and never made (or won) a SB with him but then say CB is a valued Top 10 position despite the fact we also took a CB in the Top 10 and it never resulted in a SB. Why wouldn't you carry this logic beyond just Tyron Smith and the OT position?

PS - Let's also note that two of the LBs who went to SBs with their original team were Aldon Smith and Von Miller, who were really defensive end/edge players. Devin White was the other LB who won a SB as a true inside linebacker. But for sake of this, I included all LBs, even those that played on the edge and were just basically pass rushers.
LT’s aren’t changing games. There’s never been a team that was a good LT away from winning a Super Bowl. Nobody has ever said that.

If a team is already set at QB, WR, LB, CB, or DT then by all means draft you a LT in the top 10 if you want.

If you thinking bringing in a LT is going to put a team over the hump then you’re just fooling yourself.

Those 22% of LTs taken top 10 and went on to play in the Super Bow what teams were they on?

Sydla

Reaction score
LT’s aren’t changing games. There’s never been a team that was a good LT away from winning a Super Bowl. Nobody has ever said that.

If a team is already set at QB, WR, LB, CB, or DT then by all means draft you a LT in the top 10 if you want.

If you thinking bringing in a LT is going to put a team over the hump then you’re just fooling yourself.

Those 22% of LTs taken top 10 teams were they on?
LOL. So here goes the goal post shifting. You clearly said a tackle doesn't take you to the SB and cited the Cowboys and Smith as proof. Instead, you claimed you should invest those top 10 picks in CBs and LBs. But actual data shows that LBs and CBs in the Top 10 are no better at making SBs (let alone winning them) than taking a tackle. So if anyone is fooling themselves it's the guy who is claiming a Top 10 drafted CB or LB puts a team over the top. In reality, other than a QB, no player really carries a team to a SB.

When was the last time there was a team that was a good CB away from winning a SB? Nobody has ever said that. And the data shows, that no CB taken in the Top 10 in the last 15 years has put a team over the top.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
LOL. So here goes the goal post shifting. You clearly said a tackle doesn't take you to the SB and cited the Cowboys and Smith as proof. Instead, you claimed you should invest those top 10 picks in CBs and LBs. But actual data shows that LBs and CBs in the Top 10 are no better at making SBs (let alone winning them) than taking a tackle. So if anyone is fooling themselves it's the guy who is claiming a Top 10 drafted CB or LB puts a team over the top. In reality, other than a QB, no player really carries a team to a SB.

When was the last time there was a team that was a good CB away from winning a SB? Nobody has ever said that. And the data shows, that no CB taken in the Top 10 in the last 15 years has put a team over the top.
LTs aren’t game changers. They’re nice if you have one but don’t matter if you don’t.

Cooper Rush wins games without Tyron Smith playing for crying out loud.

A CB that can shut down the other team’s best receiver is absolutely a game changer though and can be the difference in a win or loss.

Cmac

Reaction score
And then the excuse makers will blame the Oline next year just like they did this year. We need HOFers at every position ya know.
.....but we don't need a DL in the backfield so early, too.

Sydla

Reaction score
LTs aren’t game changers. They’re nice if you have one but don’t matter if you don’t.

Cooper Rush wins games without Tyron Smith playing for crying out loud.

A CB that can shut down the other team’s best receiver is absolutely a game changer though and can be the difference in a win or loss.
LOL.

You can keep ranting about this but by your own criteria you set in your original post, a CB is not worthy of a Top 10 pick either. The data clearly shows that. And you also look like a hypocrite because you hold a top 10 OT who never won a SB with Dallas against the position but ignore we also took a CB with a Top 10 pick and he also never won a SB with Dallas.

In other words, just more MountaineerCowboy silliness.

PS - An elite LT can shut down an elite DE, which yes, could be the difference between a win and loss.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Hey, it's the annual "Tyron to the Jets" rumor.
I swear I've read a version of this story around this time of
year for three years now.

rambo2

Reaction score
It's likely that Tyron Smith plays another year with the Cowboys.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
If we let him walk we better be moving Tyler to LT and Bass to LG and draft a T in round 1.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Mike Fisher is becoming the Skip Bayless of information. IMHO.... :facepalm:

shabazz

Reaction score
Because using the 10th pick on a LT is a waste of the 10th pick.

LTs don’t win Super Bowls. We’ve had three 1st team All-Pro linemen in the same year twice in the last 8 years and can’t win a wild card game with it.

You can usually always pencil us in for 2 every year (Martin and Smith) and it leads to nothing.

If you’re picking in the top 10 you go DT, QB, WR, LB or CB. Anything else is a waste of the pick.
makes me think of 2016 when we had that All World offensive line and great running game....if we had a Brock Purdy instead of a choker we'd have gone to the big dance fo sho

LocoBates

Reaction score
Great guy but I think he should retire, his body can't play one full season. Back problems too often.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
makes me think of 2016 when we had that All World offensive line and great running game....if we had a Brock Purdy instead of a choker we'd have gone to the big dance fo sho
Yup.

If O-Lines and RB's won Super Bowls in modern football we'd have had a couple since 2016.

plymkr

Reaction score
I’m a big Tyron Smith fan. I hope the best for him whatever he does

rambo2

Reaction score
Somehow, when Purdy makes a bad throw to Savage, he drops it instead of a pick 6. Somehow when Purdy throws a 45 yarder off the head of a defensive back, it is caught by his receiver.

shabazz

Reaction score
Somehow, when Purdy makes a bad throw to Savage, he drops it instead of a pick 6. Somehow when Purdy throws a 45 yarder off the head of a defensive back, it is caught by his receiver.
I'll forward this to Brock after the Super Bowl.