Twitter: Fisher: Cowboys to attempt two tier two signings this week

RS12

Reaction score
Do you,really think 10 rookies will make this team? And how many would be an Impact right away.
If half do, that is luck.
I look at how many will be on the team in 3 years. That said I could see up to eight rookies this year because you have to get cheap labor where you can on a team that is constantly up against the cap.

Dre11

Reaction score
I Guess its not an embarrassment to those still slobbering over Red Ball and company- thinking they are ever going to get us any farther than one and done or at most the second round of fthe playoffs. SO called FANS like you that are content with mediocrity should be run out of town on a rail covered in tar and feathers. ENABLERS like you allow Jerry to keep making money while the Franchise just wallows.

What have you done to change anything, since us enablers make them money...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
13-3 is nothing more than a moral victory if you can't do better than one-n-done come playoff time...It's all fluff.

If you don’t win a Super Bowl, anything can be considered a moral victory, nobody rembers 2nd place either.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh yes. The roster is set after a failed 9-7 season.

It is almost like the braintrust has decided to just erase last year as some anomaly.

The roster is pretty much set except for the draft picks that we are absolutely expert at picking.

I didn’t say the roster was set, I asked if anyone believed 10 rookies would make the team. Which could mean the staff are keeping players that should be replaced, but won’t be.

Give me a rookie with potential over Crawford, Wilber is gone so a rookie can replace him easily. Does one think a rookie will replace Heath. This staff likes him too much for that, for now.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I look at how many will be on the team in 3 years. That said I could see up to eight rookies this year because you have to get cheap labor where you can on a team that is constantly up against the cap.
That is not true.

2019 will be the bonanza year.

Honest.

I know the salary cap rises for all teams, but we might actually be out from under it then.

That one BIG YEAR before we have to pay Dak Prescott if all goes well.

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL. Whatever makes you feel better about this team.

Let this sink in - in the past 20 years, we (the Cowboys) have had a grand total of 2 playoff wins. Commanders also have 2, and Chiefs have 1. Only teams that have fared worse are - Bengals, Bills, Browns, and Lions. That's the company we are in.

Its only "disappointing" though.

You don’t have to root for them, were the browns...lol

superonyx

Reaction score
That is treading water.

There has been ZERO added since the season concluded.

It is all being pushed towards the table, betting on the draft which is a process that cannot be controlled because there are 31 other teams on equal ground.

The only place where a team can tip the scales is in free agency.

In the draft, it is a battle of wits, not resources.
While true, other than Honey Badger I don’t know of any players who I wish we would have signed at the contracts they have received. Maybe Poe...but I’d be 50/50 on that deal also.

I’d like to see a LBer still. Hoping for Navarro Bowman..and a safety.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well if no FA’s are signed that has a better chance than a rookie, then yes, 8 will make it by default.
If they sign even 3 depth type guys, then 5 may make it, and 3will compete with the FA’s.

Even if 8 make it, then I would bet several would be inactive each week. Which is ok, nothing wrong with that.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Notice Fisher has no idea who they might be.

And it is just an amazing coincidence other outlets have already reported Marcus Martin and Deonte Thompson.

But here comes Mr. Scoopage.
OK Martin, I can see that, but Thompson? anything over vet minimum is way too much.

CelticPunk

Reaction score
I've been reading this message board for a while, but never posted until now. I've been a Cowboys fan my entire life. My dad, grandpa, great grandpa, and now my son - we're all Cowboys fans. I remember the days when Jerry would spend freely in free agency. It was an exciting time of year, but I remember the consequences as well. Just my opinion, we're 8 to 9 players away from really competing. We need a starting guard and depth on the OL. We need two solid LBs. We need some speed at WR, one more safety and a TE, unless Gathers really steps up and shows he can replace JW. We've been drafting incredibly well and I hope we can fill 4 or 5 of those voids in April. But, that still leaves about 4 needs, in my opinion. I don't see the need that every one seems to on the DL. We potentially have DLaw, Irving, Collins, and Charlton as our starters. We have Crawford with position flex and Price for depth. Tapper or someone else may step up as well. That being said, I never complain when we draft or sign more depth for the OL or DL. While I would love for us to fill 4 needs with quality, starting caliber players through free agency, I also understand we would have to make cuts and restructures to make it work. Restructures only work if you have young players and even then you're rolling the dice they will continue to play at a high level for the next few years. Injuries alone make that a very high risk. Cuts typically bring dead money along with the initial cap savings. I just think it's easy to complain and look at everything negatively. It's much more difficult to actually fill a 53 man roster with a championship caliber team.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Realistically, I think we can expect Dallas to do what they've done recently and primarily sign players to fill the roles of those the team has lost. So middle linebacker (if we're moving Smith to strong side) and fullback head up that list right now. Other positions might be WR to replace Butler, backup G/C to replace Looney, starting G if we don't re-sign Cooper, starting S since we're moving Jones to corner (where he replaces Scandrick).

I expect Nolan Carroll and Stephen Paea-type signings for these positions while we continue to try to use the draft to push those type of fill-ins off the roster. That is now the Cowboys way.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If you don’t win a Super Bowl, anything can be considered a moral victory, nobody rembers 2nd place either.
Speak for yourself.

I think if Dallas made an NFCCG people would lose their minds around here.

I would be one of them.

Until you know what winning a SB feels like or what consistently being on the cusp of one is like, the abject failure of a one-and-done or especially a loss with the division on the line can never be viewed as anything close to success.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It can’t be very rewarding. When 13-3 gets redefined as a failed season and 9-7 gets people saying with a straight face they think we’re worse than the 1-31 Browns....you have to wonder how people evaluate more important things in life that go way beyond how competitive a football team really is.

Fans are tired of losing Idgit, its as simple as that. Going 13-3 and then not even winning a single playoff game, is a failed season Idgit. Just because you don't mind it, doesn't mean 99% of everybody else doesn't. The playoffs is what winning is about, that is the history of this great franchise.

Maybe that is why you and a couple of other posters think Garrett is still a good head coach despite just a single playoff win in his entire coaching career, because you don't view the playoffs as the measuring stick even though 99% of other Cowboy fans do.

And even you Idgit, point to the defense and say "its not good enough" and then the team does nothing in free agency to address it. What do you think the fans should think? The draft is where we are going to build this great defense Idgit? Is that why we interviewed about 20 WRs at the combine, because we are going to build this great defense?

And then when we lose to Philly or Seattle in the regular season and there are multiple threads banging on Garrett and calling him every four letter word under the sun, you will be right there saying "coaching is not the reason we are losing, its not having a good defense".

I will remind you at that point of this conversation we are having here in March discussing this very topic and how the team did nothing about it.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Fans are tired of losing Idgit, its as simple as that. Going 13-3 and then not even winning a single playoff game, is a failed season Idgit. Just because you don't mind it, doesn't mean 99% of everybody else doesn't. The playoffs is what winning is about, that is the history of this great franchise.

Maybe that is why you and a couple of other posters think Garrett is still a good head coach despite just a single playoff win in his entire coaching career, because you don't view the playoffs as the measuring stick even though 99% of other Cowboy fans do.

I think this board's idea of success is a little skewed. 97% of NFL teams don't win the Super Bowl in a given year, and about 80% don't win a playoff game, so if you want to call the Cowboys failures, then you're calling nearly the entire NFL failures as well.