For the DJ Moore fan club

cnuball21

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying that Ridley is going to be a career #2? What is the bases for that?
I don't have a cat in this fight and believe both are good players.

I just remember Ridley as a freshman while Amari Cooper was still on the team and Ridley was the deep threat. Even then I thought that kid is a star. I think he can be the next Marvin Harrison. Silky smooth with sneaky speed.

Most #1s are bigger bodies with a larger catch radius.

btcutter

Reaction score
Most #1s are bigger bodies with a larger catch radius.

This thread is comparing Ridley and Moore. They have same arm length and height. Only thing Moore has is about 10 lbs on Ridley. So why is Moore a #1 and Ridley isn't?? This puzzles me.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Im sure you can remember more overrated prospects if Ridley ends up being a career 2.
Hes only project to go in the mid to late 1st round....not top 10.
You could probably think of 50 more overrated without even breaking a sweat.
Lets start with Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith and go from there:laugh:

"As overrated a WR prospect"

That's not taking into account hindsight either. That's saying going into the draft, I think he's one of the most overrated WRs I've seen in a while. I've seen him projected just outside the top-10.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
This thread is comparing Ridley and Moore. They have same arm length and height. Only thing Moore has is about 10 lbs on Ridley. So why is Moore a #1 and Ridley isn't?? This puzzles me.

Personally, because he's more explosive after the catch, more elusive and a playmaker in the open field. Ridley will run great routes and catch the ball, he's just not as electric after the catch or as versatile as Moore.

cnuball21

Reaction score

I don’t think either are...i think they both will be solid #2s.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I agree with this for the most part with the exception of Moore having the better career. I think the only thing Moore has on Ridley is strength/power which like you said will help him a little more in creating YAC and breaking tackles.

Ridley is just so advanced in his routes and looks to have better game speed than Moore so I can't buy into Moore being a better prospect.

I'd be shocked if Moore is taken over Ridley by any team.

The funny thing is I think the only thing Ridley has on Moore is route running.

DJ Moore is just as fast, but I think the build of the player makes it look like Ridley is much faster but I think it's the body build.

btcutter

Reaction score
Personally, because he's more explosive after the catch, more elusive and a playmaker in the open field. Ridley will run great routes and catch the ball, he's just not as electric after the catch or as versatile as Moore.

I see two different types of WR. It's preference really. Ridley is Harrison, silky smooth and effortless. Moore is Steve Smith, plays with violence and urgency.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
So you don't like any of the prospects at all after Ridley or Moore as viable #2 options?

That blows my mind...this class is loaded with depth.

I didn't say I didn't like any WR I said I did not think it was deep as everyone is making it out to be. Seems to be media driven. With that said the only 2 WRs that are special are Moore and Ridley IMO. Not one other receiver in this class that I would deem as a HAVE to have player.

DFWJC

Reaction score
"As overrated a WR prospect"

That's not taking into account hindsight either. That's saying going into the draft, I think he's one of the most overrated WRs I've seen in a while. I've seen him projected just outside the top-10.
I have a spreadsheet with 120 updated mock drafts from around the country and he is only in the top 14 in about 4-5 of them. He does not even go in the 1st round in that same number of them. He is in 16-24 range in almost all of them...so his average is send half of the first round.

Anyway, I'm not touting him as great and I know hardly anyone here that is. Any of us saying stuff positive about him is more to defend him from those thinking he so very overrated.

No big deal either way.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah...if it gets down to pure Sparq stuff, then Ridley's vertical and long jump kill him. It's comical And of course, guys like A Brown had poor long jump and vertical too.
Who cares if they do what is 90% of the job...that is running great routes, separating from receivers, catching the ball, and scoring. That long jump means everything.

It's a bit like Jamarcus Russell vs Tom Brady but, of course, not nearly that extreme.

This sin't a jab at Moore, btw. It's more a defense of Ridley

cnuball21

Reaction score
I didn't say I didn't like any WR I said I did not think it was deep as everyone is making it out to be. Seems to be media driven. With that said the only 2 WRs that are special are Moore and Ridley IMO. Not one other receiver in this class that I would deem as a HAVE to have player.

Well there’s usually only about 10-15 special players in each draft and I wouldn’t label any WR this year in that class.

We’re basically hunting for a quality #2 this year to replace Williams...and there are plenty of dudes with the potential to do that.

ferrispata

Reaction score
I think Calvin will be the only WR we would draft at 19. Anyone other WR in the 1st would be due to a trade back scenario. Otherwise we wait until the 2nd round for the WR. I think we are taking a combination of WR/DT/LB in the 1st and 2nd unless they feel that Derwin James, Minkah Fitzpatrick or another projected high pick slips to the 12-16 range.

JHolz2020

Reaction score
I kind of wonder if him jumping up the boards is the Stegon Diggs effect. Diggs was a Maryland guy as well and kind of came out of nowhere like Moore is doing right now.

I just don't see it. 2 biggest teams he played against and he didn't show anything. Most of his catches where gimmick plays and a lot of stuff inside ten yards. His combine numbers are impressive but they are just combine numbers. A lot of guys play faster with the pads on and some play slower. I don't see what all the hype is about with this guy.

Billyd

Reaction score
Funny you should mention it...I was watching a scout breakdown and when they were describing his deficiencies it sounded like they were describing Dez. Limited route tree, doesn't get separation, more of a guy you have to manufacture space for and let him create.

I don't think that is what the Cowboys are looking for any more. Could be wrong...

GOOD points. i like Moore because he is different than a dez clone..He Was used all over so he has a decent rte tree, but I get your comparison point..

My TAKE..Neither Ridley nor Moore will Get starting Reps..They both will have growing pains in the NFL..Can they help you win games this year? If Those two are 1, and 1-2 Receivers then picking a WR with speed and size, Not the Dez Clone, Is what the Cowboys should do.. Dallas is a running team..

WR THAT get separation work back to their qb, catch with their fing hands, and at a high perc, and can be coached to run better routes seems to be a better choice..Offensively Gd is more of a need..My take..

jday

Reaction score
GOOD points. i like Moore because he is different than a dez clone..He Was used all over so he has a decent rte tree, but I get your comparison point..

My TAKE..Neither Ridley nor Moore will Get starting Reps..They both will have growing pains in the NFL..Can they help you win games this year? If Those two are 1, and 1-2 Receivers then picking a WR with speed and size, Not the Dez Clone, Is what the Cowboys should do.. Dallas is a running team..

WR THAT get separation work back to their qb, catch with their fing hands, and at a high perc, and can be coached to run better routes seems to be a better choice..Offensively Gd is more of a need..My take..
My #1 seed in the first is trenches; I'd prefer defense, but would be more than fine if they found a plug-&-play guard instead. My favorite receiver is actually Anthony Miller, whom I'd argue is a cross between Moore and Ridley, albeit he did face lesser-competition. Like Moore, he was a big part of his Memphis' offense and is awesome after the catch with the ball. Like Ridley, he runs mostly polished routes and catches the ball with ease. The negatives are also a combo of Moore and Ridley: As a smallish-receiver, like Moore, Dallas would like pigeon-hole him to the slot only. Like Ridley, he turns 24 this year, so he would be 28 when looking for his second contract.

For me, though, the best part about Miller is you don't have to take him in the first round. He could potentially be had as late as the third round...though, the Cowboys would likely have to trade up to the top of the third round to snag him.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
And they still miss on guys they sit face to face with.
I big reason for why teams miss on players has to do with heart. Some of these guys that get drafted see it as winning the lotto. They may not even really like playing football, but they can. And they get some coin in their pocket and the desire to keep doing it is gone. That and the mental makeup of a player. Can he handle the rigors of then NFL.

As much as the arm chair GMs like to think they can evaluate talent, the guys that do it for a living have access to far more information. They talk to college coaches. They get an understanding of what was being asked of a player on certain plays. They know how they practice. They have access to the game video.

And yes, bottom line, they still miss on guys.