For the money Dak wants, Cowboys could get just about any QB they want

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What kind of money is Dak wanting? And don’t give the sensationalized to suck in readers/viewers story, tell me what we actually know.
He turned down $30million/yr so there’s our start point

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He turned down $30million/yr so there’s our start point
Okay, and is that enough to get “just about any QB they want”? In today’s market, the answer to that question is a big no.

and, of course, it’s not as if every QB is even available.

Proof

Reaction score
For the kind of money Dak Prescott is wanting, the Cowboys can get just about any quarterback they want- even an established veteran from another team.
Why would a new head coach want to be forced to base his success on a quarterback who choked in front of the entire NFL in 2019?
The Cowboys can make a deal to trade up to the number one overall pick and take Burrows or Lawrence, or they can take Case Keenum in free agency and draft a successor.
They could go after Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, or even Derek Carr. All of these quarterbacks mentioned have more impressive resumes than Dak.
I think Dak can be serviceable, but not great. And the Cowboys can't afford to invest the kind of money he is demanding in him after his poor performance in the last 8 games of 2019.
With a new head coach and personnel changes that will inevitably come with him, the Cowboys would be silly to invest big money into a quarterback who the film shows missed wide open receivers repeatedly with the 2019 season on the line.
The Cowboys can win next season, but they will have to do it with a more consistent quarterback.
Prescott was Garrett's last best hope.
They both showed all of the trademarks of Garrett's tenure in Dallas.

lol. Please let me know when “any qb we want” is available.

also Bridgewater and Carr have more impressive resumes??? Foles I’ll grant because he is a sb mvp despite being a journeyman on his 4th stop, but even then it’s a stretch. Weird post man. You should just follow pappy dog around snd like his posts instead of making your own

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Some of you have no idea how coaching works. Goff was labeled a complete bust under Fisher and McVey comes in and they instantly become a contender. They had a down year this year but every team does outside of NE.

And you say any QB they want? You realize they only will be picking from QBs that other teams don't value? No team gets rid of a real good QB.

I also find it funny how so many people think Dak is the main problem with this team when our defense is bottom of the league bad, Special teams might be the worst in the league. Coaching is terrible. Fix those and see how much better this team can get.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the kind of money Dak Prescott is wanting, the Cowboys can get just about any quarterback they want- even an established veteran from another team.
Why would a new head coach want to be forced to base his success on a quarterback who choked in front of the entire NFL in 2019?
The Cowboys can make a deal to trade up to the number one overall pick and take Burrows or Lawrence, or they can take Case Keenum in free agency and draft a successor.
They could go after Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, or even Derek Carr. All of these quarterbacks mentioned have more impressive resumes than Dak.
I think Dak can be serviceable, but not great. And the Cowboys can't afford to invest the kind of money he is demanding in him after his poor performance in the last 8 games of 2019.
With a new head coach and personnel changes that will inevitably come with him, the Cowboys would be silly to invest big money into a quarterback who the film shows missed wide open receivers repeatedly with the 2019 season on the line.
The Cowboys can win next season, but they will have to do it with a more consistent quarterback.
Prescott was Garrett's last best hope.
They both showed all of the trademarks of Garrett's tenure in Dallas.

Not a good thread.
:thumbdown:

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Okay, and is that enough to get “just about any QB they want”? In today’s market, the answer to that question is a big no.

and, of course, it’s not as if every QB is even available.
Who’s telling you that you’re wrong? Not me lol. Slow your wagons

Hadenough

Reaction score
What people dont realize is coaching can help but its not gonna make Dak anymore accurate than he is right now. When a QBs weakness is his physical ability to place a ball into a tight window while a guy is on the run he isnt going to go far in the playoffs. Dak struggles to hit guys wide open in stride so when he sees a guy in tight coverage he wont throw it. Almost all NFL QBs dont just throw to a WR they place the ball intentionally in certain areas on a WRs body. Dak just throws to the WR.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Posted in #35. No sense cluttering the board with reposts, is it?

I see. So the answer to the question is nowhere then. Washington Post article threw out that number I guess.

Lets clutter the board. Here is what I see online and why I asked in the first place.

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

According to over the cap, depending on what tag you use, the figure is between 27 and 24, give or take.

kevm3

Reaction score
Every year it's always some other player or coordinators fault. If we would just replace Romo. If we would just get rid of Dez. If we would just get rid of Rob Ryan, Monte Kiffen, Marinelli, Linehan, etc. Doesn't matter who the QB is here if we don't get a real HC here and allow him to hire his own staff and give him control

Philmonroe

Reaction score
@leeblair @JohnBoy Maybe we watched different games. I think overall Dak did a great job. Saying he “choked” was just stupid. What a dumb bias assessment.

Dak has heart and throws pretty darn good. I will take him over most quarterbacks. He is young, makes good decisions, good velocity and has the drive to win. Look at his record since he’s been in the league, pretty darn impressive; now throw in the number of yards. The man is great and you can’t even recognize it. He has improved his craft each season thus far.

I want a new coach to come in and clean up the drop passes, develop situational schemes, manage the game clock better and develop a game plan to confuse opposing teams.

Some of these threads are just stupid.
After 4 years starting in the league the whole he’s young in pro terms because I know someone will get conveniently stupid doesn’t fly anymore. Stop that madness

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Keenum never had a chance in Denver or Washington because they were going through coaching changes.
But his successes are proven.
Foles was also the victim of a franchise in transition.
And his successes are well documented.
Dak had Zeke and an established team loaded with weapons. His failures are glaring.
If it weren't for the contract demands he is making, he could possibly be evaluated for another year. But $32 million is a lot to pay for an unproven quarterback.
Franchise QBs can lead their teams to better than 4-12 no matter who’s around them. You can’t win Super Bowls with below top 10 QBs unless everything around them is perfect.

Dak was 4th in QBR this year at 70.4. He’s worth the investment. I think with better QB coaching Derek Carr has ability as well. He’s the only one on your original list I would have the conversation about under right circumstances.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The next time Dak responds to a big time pressure situation like Watson did yesterday will be the first.

If he ever begins to show that he can do that I might start to come around him.

After four full seasons of not showing he has that in him I'm not holding my breath.

erod

Reaction score
@leeblair @JohnBoy Maybe we watched different games. I think overall Dak did a great job. Saying he “choked” was just stupid. What a dumb bias assessment.

Dak has heart and throws pretty darn good. I will take him over most quarterbacks. He is young, makes good decisions, good velocity and has the drive to win. Look at his record since he’s been in the league, pretty darn impressive; now throw in the number of yards. The man is great and you can’t even recognize it. He has improved his craft each season thus far.

I want a new coach to come in and clean up the drop passes, develop situational schemes, manage the game clock better and develop a game plan to confuse opposing teams.

Some of these threads are just stupid.
Everything you wrote is brutally wrong.

He's not good. At all

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Funny how you failed to mention accuracy; you know, the thing that actuallly gets the pass to the right place ? I used to give Dak some slack because our scheme always forced him to throw to covered receivers. But this year they were able to scheme receivers open and Dak embarrassed himself time and time again: missing open receivers, throwing behind, above, in to the dirt. Yup, every once in a while he could throw a dime but wayyyyyy too inconsistent for a starting quarterback. Embarrassing. It’s unbelievable he’s a starting qb in the nfl. Only in Dallas. Troy Aikman said the number one trait a QB needs is accuracy because if you can’t hit the target, what’s the point.

So new schemes, plans, receivers, etc... are not gonna fix a consistently inaccurate Dak. Yes you can fix everything else and he still throws high, low, behind, in the dirt.

And by the way, in crucial situations Dak choked if we define choke as being inaccurate on important throws.

LOL...…….this will be funny. So please list the QB's we can sign for 35 million that are worth it and better than Dak.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I rather trade up in this draft but I do think we need to try to improve at the qb position. I know some don’t because Dak is a nice person who is average at football but I’m not of the same belief as them.

What are you going to do when he signs long term? Cry more?

Dak lead the league in passing and led the #1 offense in the NFL.

Average is for idiots to talk about.