For the money Dak wants, Cowboys could get just about any QB they want

garyo1954

Reaction score
I see. So the answer to the question is nowhere then. Washington Post article threw out that number I guess.

Lets clutter the board. Here is what I see online and why I asked in the first place.

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

According to over the cap, depending on what tag you use, the figure is between 27 and 24, give or take.

Those are projected agent numbers that were published here:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-and-what-rejected-30m-offer-could-look-like/

Notice the Washington Post is using updated figures based on "using the average of the top five quarterback salaries next season."

At any case, would it not have been easier to post your article and then ask the question? (Yes, it would)

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys can make a deal to trade up to the number one overall pick and take Burrows or Lawrence, or they can take Case Keenum in free agency and draft a successor. They could go after Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, or even Derek Carr. All of these quarterbacks mentioned have more impressive resumes than Dak.

200.gif

doomsday9084

Reaction score
One thing that I think people are missing, including NFL execs, is that the QB position isn't as shallow as it used to be. A long time ago, the guy had to be tall, strong, intelligent, great arm, etc. The number of people 6'5" or taller is pretty small so you start with a small group and whittle it down from there.

The rise of the mobile QB has really opened things up. A lot of QB's now create throwing space with their feet as much as their height. Given that there are significantly more 6'3" guys around, the odds of finding one with the other characteristics you need are much better.

This year, 12 QB's had a rating of 95 or higher. Going back to 1999, one did. Some of that is the rules changes but the reality is that its a lot easier to get a guy who can throw the ball than it was in the past.

People will point to the Kellen Moore / John Kitna era. Well, Dallas didn't invest draft picks and they didn't invest money in the position. IMHO, if you have:
- A good coach
- A good line
- Reasonable receivers
There are a lot of players you can either get with capspace or a high draft pick that will look good.

Giving $35m per year to Dak is stupid. I know, they were stupid to give that much to Zeke, Tank and Jaylon. I agree. Why keep making the same mistake? Dak had his chance to get overpaid. He turned it down. Tag him and replace him.

superonyx

Reaction score
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Lame try, Bro. Look at Cowboy’s statistics this year along with Dak. Great offensive statistics - almost historic - that did NOT translate in to wins, playoffs, or a good football team. Hell, with our offensive statistics this year we’re in the Super Bowl, right ? Same with Dak, he had some cheap stats this year that do not transform him in to an accurate or good QB.

Why don’t you just trust your eyes...lol...the rest of us do.
Facts are tough to argue with it seems. Pretty weak argument trying to pretend Dak isn’t good or accurate because our team lost. I guess Brees was garbage when the Saints were 7-9 for out of 5 seasons.

Go ahead and explain this away.

khiladi

Reaction score
Trevor Lawrence isnt eligible to come out this year. And Foles got benched for Gardner Minshew. Case Keenum got benched for Dwayne Haskins.

Dak is NOT the problem. If you think the QBs listed above are as good or better than Dak you need to re evaluate.

He’s a top 10 QB. You can only win with guys like Keenum or Tannehill if you have an all star defense or a man child at RB. Dallas currently has none of those.

None of those guys had the roster Dak had, including the best OL in the league and defenses focusing on Zeke all game long, giving the ideal looks for any average QB to perform adequate. You forgot that part...

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys can make a deal to trade up to the number one overall pick and take Burrows or Lawrence,

What do you think it would take to move up from 17 to 1? In my opinion the Cowboys just don't have the draft capital to do it. A team like Miami does, but not Dallas. Even if you threw in multiple players, I don't think they would do it.

khiladi

Reaction score
Per Slater, we do know Dak turned down 30 million a year. We also know Dak says he’s not taking a home discount and further stated explicitly, that he doesn’t buy the excuse that you can’t pay everybody. He stated that with the new CBA and the league bringing it more money officially gambling revenue being made official, there is plenty of money to go around. He said this in the context of not only himself, but the Cowboys paying Zeke and Amari.

Nobody knows how much the CBA will impact the NFL, but Dak has a real solid, point. The NFL can afford to pay the players, it’s just how the CBA will be negotiated to set the framework for the numbers. While I don’t think we should sign Dak and the QB market is completely over-priced, he should try and get whatever he cans and not fall for the BS excuses from the Jones family.

He should learn how the organization dealt with Romo at the end of his career. This is business in the end and Jerry has over a 200 million dollar yacht and he just bought one of the largest natural gas companies in the US.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
LOL...…….this will be funny. So please list the QB's we can sign for 35 million that are worth it and better than Dak.

I’d take Teddy Bridgewater, or any QB, who can consistently hit the intended target when they throw...lol...and also draft a QB. And for a lot less money than that $ 35 million anchor weight you would sign. Hell, I bet we could put together a long list of inaccurate QB’s like Dak while we’re at it. Funny is you thinking Dak is worth $35 million a year and that we’d win a Super Bowl with him. Funny and tragic.

Hey here’s one for you; you think Dak is as consistently accurate as Rogers, Brees, Mahoney, Jackson,
Watson ? Jeez, I’ll even throw in Cousins...lol.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
What are you going to do when he signs long term? Cry more?

Dak lead the league in passing and led the #1 offense in the NFL.

Average is for idiots to talk about.
You have emotions like a little child. How does anything I posted equal me crying more sir? I know you low football iq types aren’t used to making sense when posting since you run off emotions but post logically. If he signs his contract I will still say I don’t think he’s that good and no amount of shaming talk from you will change my mind only his play.

I don’t know why you people use this leads the league in passing bs when the top 4/5 in passing didn’t even make the playoffs. As far the number 1 offense that just shows me you’re another internet person that wants to look smart instead of actually be smart. When the games mattered most against playoff type teams where was this number 1 offense outside of the Vikings and first Eagles game?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Those are projected agent numbers that were published here:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-and-what-rejected-30m-offer-could-look-like/

Notice the Washington Post is using updated figures based on "using the average of the top five quarterback salaries next season."

At any case, would it not have been easier to post your article and then ask the question? (Yes, it would)

No. It would have been easier to ask the question and get an answer. Wouldn't it have been easier to simply say what you just did, to begin with, when I originally asked the question? (Yes, it would)

garyo1954

Reaction score
No. It would have been easier to ask the question and get an answer. Wouldn't it have been easier to simply say what you just did, to begin with, when I originally asked the question? (Yes, it would)

But you did get an answer, and then YOU ASKED A SECOND TIME LIKE SOMEONE WHO WASN'T WATCHING THE THREAD!

Who looks stupid in that case? (Yes, the answer is YOU!)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’d take Teddy Bridgewater, or any QB, who can consistently hit the intended target when they throw...lol...and also draft a QB. And for a lot less money than that $ 35 million anchor weight you would sign. Hell, I bet we could put together a long list of inaccurate QB’s like Dak while we’re at it. Funny is you thinking Dak is worth $35 million a year and that we’d win a Super Bowl with him. Funny and tragic.

Hey here’s one for you; you think Dak is as consistently accurate as Rogers, Brees, Mahoney, Jackson,
Watson ? Jeez, I’ll even throw in Cousins...lol.

Watson isn't available and neither is cousins. Bridgewater is laughable.

Rogers, Brees, Mahones are top of the NFL. Dak not in their company. Is that really your point?

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
For the kind of money Dak Prescott is wanting, the Cowboys can get just about any quarterback they want- even an established veteran from another team.
Why would a new head coach want to be forced to base his success on a quarterback who choked in front of the entire NFL in 2019?
The Cowboys can make a deal to trade up to the number one overall pick and take Burrows or Lawrence, or they can take Case Keenum in free agency and draft a successor.
They could go after Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, or even Derek Carr. All of these quarterbacks mentioned have more impressive resumes than Dak.
I think Dak can be serviceable, but not great. And the Cowboys can't afford to invest the kind of money he is demanding in him after his poor performance in the last 8 games of 2019.
With a new head coach and personnel changes that will inevitably come with him, the Cowboys would be silly to invest big money into a quarterback who the film shows missed wide open receivers repeatedly with the 2019 season on the line.
The Cowboys can win next season, but they will have to do it with a more consistent quarterback.
Prescott was Garrett's last best hope.
They both showed all of the trademarks of Garrett's tenure in Dallas.

Could they get another QB with that amount of money? Sure. Are one of thosw QBs actually available? The answer is no. I.e. Rogers, Wilson, Watson, Wentz, Mahomes, Jackson, Brees, Ryan's, and Garrapollo are all unavailable and I don't think there is another QB out there that would be legit better than Dak. The three that you mentioned are very clearly worse than Dak. Nick Foles has been pedestrian outside the post season, Derek Carr has been far more inconsistent and Teddy Bridgewater hasn't proven anything across an entire season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You have emotions like a little child. How does anything I posted equal me crying more sir? I know you low football iq types aren’t used to making sense when posting since you run off emotions but post logically. If he signs his contract I will still say I don’t think he’s that good and no amount of shaming talk from you will change my mind only his play.

I don’t know why you people use this leads the league in passing bs when the top 4/5 in passing didn’t even make the playoffs. As far the number 1 offense that just shows me you’re another internet person that wants to look smart instead of actually be smart. When the games mattered most against playoff type teams where was this number 1 offense outside of the Vikings and first Eagles game?

Crying about your QB that just lead the NFL in passing and the #1 offense in the NFL is equal to a little baby crying for his mommy.

Now if you want to tell me what other players actually showed up for the 2nd Eagles game, then let me know.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyway, you Dak size it, the guy is a tier 3 to 4 QB.
Ya, they sell his greatness here daily but it seems the FO isn't buying Dak's and Mr. Frances PR BS as till today no contract has been signed!
The Jones will use as an excuse the new coach to slowly but surely take Dak out of the team's future.
Let's face it this was his prove-it year and he failed miserably whipping on Dog teams and stinking up the house against teams with any sort of pulse!!!
Dak Prescott is in for one very difficult springs as reality will come knocking on his door and it won't be pretty!
Our ineptness on offense is nearly over and will be corrected once # 4 hits the bench!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Could they get another QB with that amount of money? Sure. Are one of thosw QBs actually available? The answer is no. I.e. Rogers, Wilson, Watson, Wentz, Mahomes, Jackson, Brees, Ryan's, and Garrapollo are all unavailable and I don't think there is another QB out there that would be legit better than Dak. The three that you mentioned are very clearly worse than Dak. Nick Foles has been pedestrian outside the post season, Derek Carr has been far more inconsistent and Teddy Bridgewater hasn't proven anything across an entire season.

Again...…...what QB's are available this year at all and worth that kind of money?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Crying about your QB that just lead the NFL in passing and the #1 offense in the NFL is equal to a little baby crying for his mommy.

Now if you want to tell me what other players actually showed up for the 2nd . Eagles game, then let me know.
Like I said you low iq guys shaming tactics don’t work on me. If not thinking Dak is as awesome as you think is crying for my mommy so be it. Now that we’ve got that out the way what’s next sir so we can stop rehashing this bs?

Dak the qb he gets too much credit and too much blame. I never saw you in one thread where they were kissing his butt in the beginning of the season saying it’s a team game so don’t try to spread blame now.